Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying samples of rare minerals - is this a hobby? Is anyone into it?
Quote | Reply
I want to buy a sample of "Segelerite". These are 20 or so VERY stale listings on internet 1.0 type sites if you google for it and I have no idea where to go beyond that. I don't think this is a high value item at all. It's just useless and rare, hence hard to find.

Any pointers?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Buying samples of rare minerals - is this a hobby? Is anyone into it? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a leaverite.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Buying samples of rare minerals - is this a hobby? Is anyone into it? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you need any beryllium?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have an industrial use?

I once worked on a project that required some exotic crystalline minerals, and we used a contact at Saint-Gobaine to acquire them. But I don't think Saint-Gobaine would "traffick" in minerals without *some* kind of industrial purpose. Your "useless" adjective isn't promising.
Last edited by: trail: May 2, 24 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Buying samples of rare minerals - is this a hobby? Is anyone into it? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Does it have an industrial use?

I once worked on a project that required some exotic crystalline minerals, and we used a contact at Saint-Gobaine to acquire them. But I don't think Saint-Gobaine would "traffick" in minerals without *some* kind of industrial purpose. Your "useless" adjective isn't promising.

Not to my knowledge. For color, my house used to be owned by Curt Segeler - its namesake - who was an amateur minerologist of some renown. I just want to put a rock in a shadow box as a conversation piece.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you want to schedule a roadtrip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Near popular tourist stuff anyway. Not sure if/where it's legal to bust out some tools and snag some minerals.

Maybe if you shoot the mineral needlessly its all good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try calling this store to see if they can give you a lead.

https://astrogallery.com/

I feel like if they don't have a source, digging it up yourself might be your best option. Problem is that it is both useless and not pretty.

One of the coolest stores for a dork ever. My nephew has bought several presents for me from there.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a personal hobby but my buddy Hank in Albuquerque was a collector. I can text his widow and see if she can dig through his collection to see if he had any. Marie wasn’t really into it so I don’t see her having any sentimental interest in holding onto it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Buying samples of rare minerals - is this a hobby? Is anyone into it? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
You might try calling this store to see if they can give you a lead.

Or maybe just some galena.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
I want to buy a sample of "Segelerite". These are 20 or so VERY stale listings on internet 1.0 type sites if you google for it and I have no idea where to go beyond that. I don't think this is a high value item at all. It's just useless and rare, hence hard to find.

Any pointers?

Bonhams was mineral collection auctions several times a year. I bought a few nice peridots once.

https://www.bonhams.com/...r-collection/?page=6

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply