Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you protest, you get suspended [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
synthetic wrote:

so lets make things simple and all the sports be co-ed

Let's not.

Why not? Make everything like CAT bike racing. I have been on teams where we didn't have enough boys and we recruited girls, to still do decent. If boys limited to boys only, we would have never got a chance to play
Last edited by: synthetic: May 2, 24 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: If you protest, you get suspended [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Why not?

Because I greatly enjoy watching women's sports as pure women's sports. I just watched stage 5 of the Vuelta Feminina.

There will be not one millimeter of movement for me on this position. Argument is futile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No argument, but are you watching for the reason athletic females are attractive? On that note yes, I support all female events. But the world of "fair play" is coming arbitrary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
No argument, but are you watching for the reason athletic females are attractive? On that note yes, I support all female events. But the world of "fair play" is coming arbitrary

I'm not sure that has a simple answer given, as a cisgender male, the female form is generally pleasant to look at even at a subconscious level.

But, no, I don't think that's way up on the list of reasons. I watch just as much men's sports. I watch women's sports with kit that doesn't emphasize the female form (granted there aren't many sports like that). My favorite female athletes are often not considered "Instagram hot." - I won't name names because I hate playing the "hot or not" game. I enjoy the essence and drama of good competition. Women's sports doubles that for me.
Quote Reply
Re: If you protest, you get suspended [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
What about being forced by the government, i.e. through a judgement with financial penalties and threats of future judgements, for “harassing” an employee by mis-addressing them of their chosen pronoun, even by people who would have no reason to have known their preferred pronoun? That’s happening right now as we speak.

I’m not saying that’s good or bad as I can’t comprehend what these people are going through, but it is actual litigation that is happening.

Hopefully Ike will chime in on this, but my impression of situations like this in the US, including sexual harrassment, is that the behavior typically has to be repeated, the person told to stop the behavior, etc.

I mean you could do something really eggregious like send a dick pic unsolicited to a co-worker, or go off on some foul profanity laden insulting bigoted attack of a transgender person, but for most ill conceived but minor offenses nothing more than a talking to, maybe some sensitivity training, etc. would be done.

Maybe Canada is different, but I can't imagine some could posibbly be taken to task for an honest mistake, let alone sued. Well I guess a person could try but hopefully the courts would be sensible.

RogerC39 is a labor lawyer and probably knows this stuff well.

My understanding tracks yours. The occasional innocent mistake does not violate the law. Persistently using the wrong pronoun, when you’ve been told the correct pronoun, could constitute harassment based on gender and possibly even a hostile work environment. Most people are capable of distinguishing between: (1) someone who wants to use the right pronouns, but just slips up from time to time and (2) someone who intentionally uses the wrong pronoun to antagonize the other person or to make some political point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that cat racing is a good example.

It's been years, but my recollection is that they would run men's and women's both separately or combined. So you could see at the same event a women's Cat 1/2/3 race and then a men's 5/women's 4 race. And while men wouldn't be allowed to race in an exclusively women's race, women were allowed to race with the men. I remember my daughter racing both the women's 1/2/3 and then the men's pro/1/2 race for training and experience.

They often raced juniors by age all together, and then broke down the winners by sex.
Quote Reply
Re: If you protest, you get suspended [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
She has been on puberty blockers and hormone therapy. The facts in the court opinion don’t — and shouldn’t — disclose any mental health counseling.

The knowledge that she is on puberty blockers and hormone therapy is itself HIPAA-protected information. So I presume it was voluntarily disclosed to the public at some point.

My assertion that she *likely* has a gender dysphoria diagnosis is that putting a young person on puberty blockers absent specific diagnosis would probably not be following standard medical practice. And it could conceivably be some other diagnosis than gender dysphoria, but that is the most likely.

And my assertion that she *likely* is/was undergoing counseling is that my lay reading indicates that arriving at medical intervention (drugs or surgery) is typically done only after exhausted "due diligence" in other forms of symptom relief. Which, per my understanding, usually involves a lot of talking to the person with dysphoria.....counseling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Make everything like CAT bike racing.

Because then you lose women's divisions and you lose women's winners.

As an example, a girl won our country championship in XC last year with a time of 19:12, beating second place by 12 seconds. If you make it an open championship, when would have finished 72nd place.

Winning a championship in front of a crowd of spectators cheering you on is a whole different experience than finishing 72nd in an open race.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ike wrote:
She has been on puberty blockers and hormone therapy. The facts in the court opinion don’t — and shouldn’t — disclose any mental health counseling.

The knowledge that she is on puberty blockers and hormone therapy is itself HIPAA-protected information. So I presume it was voluntarily disclosed to the public at some point.

My assertion that she *likely* has a gender dysphoria diagnosis is that putting a young person on puberty blockers absent specific diagnosis would probably not be following standard medical practice. And it could conceivably be some other diagnosis than gender dysphoria, but that is the most likely.

And my assertion that she *likely* is/was undergoing counseling is that my lay reading indicates that arriving at medical intervention (drugs or surgery) is typically done only after exhausted "due diligence" in other forms of symptom relief. Which, per my understanding, usually involves a lot of talking to the person with dysphoria.....counseling.

Let’s separate her medical privacy from her name. In order to win her lawsuit she had to disclose her puberty blocker/hormone history. Those facts are essential to her case. Revealing certain personal facts can be the price of admission if you want the public courts to resolve your case.

But, in terms of revealing her name, she is a minor. Her complaint does not list her name. It just has her initials. And I’d expect a court to just use her initials or other anonymizer in its opinions.

Her family has been open about this, including some media coverage with her picture. So, it’s obvious who the “BPJ” is that the opinion references.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:

Let’s separate her medical privacy from her name.

I have no idea what you mean. I never mentioned her name (and have already forgotten it) or anything related to the privacy of her name, and was purely discussing her medical history, which I made clear was speculation on my part. A claim was made she "needs counseling." I was speculating that she probably already gets it. That's all. It would, generally speaking, be unusual for a young child on puberty blockers to not also receive counseling in parallel. That is all.
Last edited by: trail: May 2, 24 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ike wrote:

Let’s separate her medical privacy from her name.

I have no idea what you mean. I never mentioned her name (and have already forgotten it) or anything related to the privacy of her name, and was purely discussing her medical history, which I made clear was speculation on my part. A claim was made she "needs counseling." I was speculating that she probably already gets it. That's all. It would, generally speaking, be unusual for a young child on puberty blockers to not also receive counseling in parallel. That is all.

Sorry for the confusion. I just meant let’s separate the two issues for analytical purposes and then had a paragraph on each issue. It was not at all a criticism direct at you.
Quote Reply
Re: If you protest, you get suspended [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Make everything like CAT bike racing.

Because then you lose women's divisions and you lose women's winners.

As an example, a girl won our country championship in XC last year with a time of 19:12, beating second place by 12 seconds. If you make it an open championship, when would have finished 72nd place.

Winning a championship in front of a crowd of spectators cheering you on is a whole different experience than finishing 72nd in an open race.

Then we need weight divisions, age divisions, everyone podiums!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. I just meant let’s separate the two issues for analytical purposes and then had a paragraph on each issue. It was not at all a criticism direct at you.

No worries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

You're just trolling at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Now you're just talking crazy, I can't think of a single sport where those exist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next