Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge
Quote | Reply
Aside from the 3-hour treadmill workout we've all heard about by now ...

One of D'Kid's friends - I forget which Swiftie, exactly, but it might be the one whom plans to run a marathon this year? - mentioned there is a "challenge" (from TikTok - maybe? - but I can't find the post) to do a plank every day, the length of ONE Taylor Swift song, from shortest to longest; the goal being able to hold a plank for the entire 10-plus minute duration of "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)"

I countered with "maybe I'll do Green Day?" as I know "Jesus of Suburbia" runs over 9 minutes, and I could start with some shorter songs in the 1-2 minute range

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know when you're ready to do the Dream Theater Challenge. "6 Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" runs just over 42 minutes... :)

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to try this!

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll do the Ramones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will do the Green Day challenge with you.

Post the playlist we are going to do the challenge to, and I'll let you know when I fail.
What is their shortest song? All by myself?
Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'll do the Ramones.

Hahahaha, that DID cross my mind; I think their first ever set at CBGB was 12 songs in 20 minutes?

1-2-3-4!!!

Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
I will do the Green Day challenge with you.

Post the playlist we are going to do the challenge to, and I'll let you know when I fail.

What is their shortest song? "All by myself?"

I haven't created a playlist yet, but here's the resource I'll use for it

https://greenday.fandom.com/...t_of_Green_Day_songs

You can sort by length

You really can't fail, if you proceed reasonably = only adding a couple seconds per day

It's kinda like using "The Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program": Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Piece of cake!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The easiest would be Napalm Death's "You Suffer", well, maybe that's so short if would actually be hard to plank for only that long. Plenty of punk and grindcore stuff under a minute.

...at the opposite end, off the top of my head Bell Witch's "Mirror Reaper" is just over 83 minutes of funeral doom in a single song.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that the planking trend is back, or that Swifties are responsible :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I did a "baseline" today, as I think that's where/how one should start something like this?

2:54, but I may have been able to go longer if the cat hadn't come by

By Taylor's playlist, I think that gets me "Midnight Rain" which manifests probably the fucking creepiest use of AutoTune that I've ever heard*

On the Green Day side ...

* "I buried Paul"/"Cranberry Sauce" was equally creepy, but that was achieved by manipulating the tape --- I'm only considering AutoTune here
** note: video lengths almost never match "official" song lengths

Last edited by: RandMart: Jan 15, 24 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
You really can't fail, if you proceed reasonably = only adding a couple seconds per day

It's kinda like using "The Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program": Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Piece of cake!!!

Hmm....just bench press your child from birth, every day. Advise what happens first: you fail at bench-pressing them...or, they graduate from HS.
Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could bench press D'Kid's equivalent weight, easy

But, using an actual (squishy & wiggly) human body like use to when she was a toddler? No fucking chance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is a witch. Not playing this game. Also. I’m a grown man not a 11 year old girl with parents that don’t pay attention to her videos and lyrics.
Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find another artist then; I'm going with Green Day

No one can debate that core strength isn't useful, and any way to improve it is beneficial, especially if it can be fun

"Some things are too important to take seriously"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After establishing "American Idiot" as the baseline, I did some thinking

'If we start here, we're gonna miss out on a lot of good tunes in the low 2-minute range. What fun would that be?'

So, I went back to the beginning (the aforementioned "Song Of The Century") and did two sets per day, for a total of 2:30 or so?

When I get to the songs that are a full 2:00, I'll step back to one per day ... or maybe not?

A couple of mods the Program - the Sweet Children songs listed are not on Spotify that I can find, so I'll skip them. Also, the new release, Saviors, might not get into the database/list right away, so I'll slip them in whenever I think of it

Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
She is a witch. Not playing this game. Also. I’m a grown man not a 11 year old girl with parents that don’t pay attention to her videos and lyrics.

Lolwut.

I’m a grown man, and I love some of her albums. What’s wrong with T Swift?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: (Yet Another) Taylor Swift Challenge [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's probably a Lavender Room thread or two about that; no need to rehash here

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So ---- after a couple starts & stops (and re-starts & stops) with a consistent program since April 1st and doing two sessions a day, I've gotten up to "Pulling Teeth" clocking in at 2:30

Not only is this (maybe) a great core workout, it's also an excellent exercise to explore some deeper cuts in the catalogue that I never really listened to

I asked D'Kid "so is 'the plank girl' going to add the new Tortured Poets songs at the end or drop them in now? Does she have a strategy so ALL Taylor Swift songs are covered?"
"I have no idea" she answered "I thought it was stupid"

I guess I'm on my own

#MakeRunnersWeirdAgain
#MakeRunningWeirdAgain

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
So ---- after a couple starts & stops (and re-starts & stops) with a consistent program since April 1st and doing two sessions a day, I've gotten up to "Pulling Teeth" clocking in at 2:30

Not only is this (maybe) a great core workout, it's also an excellent exercise to explore some deeper cuts in the catalogue that I never really listened to

I asked D'Kid "so is 'the plank girl' going to add the new Tortured Poets songs at the end or drop them in now? Does she have a strategy so ALL Taylor Swift songs are covered?"
"I have no idea" she answered "I thought it was stupid"

I guess I'm on my own

#MakeRunnersWeirdAgain
#MakeRunningWeirdAgain

You add in any songs from TPD that are longer than where you are currently at, but don't have to go back and do the shorter ones. Kinda like when they add quests to a RPG, but you are already too high level for many of them.

I have this on authority from Taylor......well, a guy named Taylor who DoorDashed my Wing Stop order.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply