Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking the story at face value:

Quote:
By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked. Then, on the way home after the hunt, as Noem stopped to talk to a local family, Cricket escaped Noem’s truck and attacked the family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another”.
Cricket the untrainable dog, Noem writes, behaved like “a trained assassin”.
When Noem finally grabbed Cricket, she says, the dog “whipped around to bite me”. Then, as the chickens’ owner wept, Noem repeatedly apologised, wrote the shocked family a check “for the price they asked, and helped them dispose of the carcasses littering the scene of the crime”.
Through it all, Noem says, Cricket was “the picture of pure joy”.
“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”

A young working dog that can't be controlled and destroys livestock is a major liability. You don't keep animals like that around the farm, any more than you'd keep a dog who bites children around the neighborhood. I wouldn't enjoy it but I also wouldn't try to pawn it off to anyone else once it's shown those instincts.

We raise chickens and hatch our own. Sometimes those turn out to be roosters. No one wants roosters. I destroy them before they attack a kid or dog (both have happened) or generally waste more money by feeding them. The fact that it's a dog doesn't move the needle for me as much as it does for other people. You simply don't keep dangerous animals around on a farm.

Again, setting aside the veracity of the story and her intent in telling it, the story itself registers completely differently depending on which side of the urban-rural divide the audience falls.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Taking the story at face value:

Quote:

By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked. Then, on the way home after the hunt, as Noem stopped to talk to a local family, Cricket escaped Noem’s truck and attacked the family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another”.
Cricket the untrainable dog, Noem writes, behaved like “a trained assassin”.
When Noem finally grabbed Cricket, she says, the dog “whipped around to bite me”. Then, as the chickens’ owner wept, Noem repeatedly apologised, wrote the shocked family a check “for the price they asked, and helped them dispose of the carcasses littering the scene of the crime”.
Through it all, Noem says, Cricket was “the picture of pure joy”.
“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”

A young working dog that can't be controlled and destroys livestock is a major liability. You don't keep animals like that around the farm, any more than you'd keep a dog who bites children around the neighborhood. I wouldn't enjoy it but I also wouldn't try to pawn it off to anyone else once it's shown those instincts.

We raise chickens and hatch our own. Sometimes those turn out to be roosters. No one wants roosters. I destroy them before they attack a kid or dog (both have happened) or generally waste more money by feeding them. The fact that it's a dog doesn't move the needle for me as much as it does for other people. You simply don't keep dangerous animals around on a farm.

Again, setting aside the veracity of the story and her intent in telling it, the story itself registers completely differently depending on which side of the urban-rural divide the audience falls.

But that wasn't a young working dog kept around livestock. It was a hunting dog that escaped her truck because she wasn't careful. No word that it had ever seen a chicken before. "Whipped around to bite her" is less than convincing since she did not get bit. "Tried to spin away" is just as likely.

Killing a goat because it is smelly is just as bad or worse. That is kind of what goats do.

Noem thinking the story shows her is a good light is the most revealing thing about it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: May 6, 24 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Noem thinking the story shows her is a good light is the most revealing thing about it.
Yeah, the whole deal is kind of dumb on her part. The minutia over ongoing proximity to other livestock and whether or not it posed an ongoing threat, I don't really care about. A hunting dog that can't hunt and kills other people's property isn't a dog you keep around. Maybe she should have adopted it out to a family, but she didn't.

I get that she's trying to paint herself as a salt-of-the-earth, roll your sleeves up and git'r done kind of gal, but I would think she's already got those people's support presuming she's angling for the VP spot. Moderates and undecideds, you're not winning anyone over by going Joe Pesci in a gravel pit on poor Cricket.

I didn't care to read the goat part.

She supports Trump and wants to be his VP. She carries his water and lies to bolster her resume. I know all that I need to know about her irrespective of her animal management practices.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I get that she's trying to paint herself as a salt-of-the-earth, roll your sleeves up and git'r done kind of gal...

Kind of tough to pull off when you've got your face so caked in makeup that it looks like you went and got a makeover from a student at the Kim Kardashian School of Cosmetology.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s the deal: the story has changed numerous times since this was first reported. She keeps changing it to make it sound better. She’s failing.

Like I said, at this point I think she included it to look cool to the gun crowd.

She is regretting that choice.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her appearance during an interview this weekend reminded me of the husk that was once Kimberly Guilfoyle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read the goat story. It's hard to read that as anything but she got into killing mode and was like, you know what, F that goat too...

Don't get me wrong, goats can be assholes. I've been told in no uncertain terms that I shall not bring a goat home and the chances of her putting a bullet in his head if he were to charge a kid are pretty damn high, but the timing of the shooting as she described it seemed awfully random and like she was just in that mode.

When I dispatch roosters I prefer to do it all at once, just to keep things simple in terms of cleanup and to minimize amount of gunfire in the area. Again presuming this is true, I can see how someone who just eliminated a useless animal (in her view) would take out the other while she's in pest control mode.

Not defending necessarily, but it is somewhat relatable. I say that as someone who would cast a vote for Cricket or the dead smelly goat before Kristi Noem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Here’s the deal: the story has changed numerous times since this was first reported. She keeps changing it to make it sound better. She’s failing.

Like I said, at this point I think she included it to look cool to the gun crowd.

Gun crowd? Executing an old puppy/young dog gets the gun crowd jacked? Even this anti-gun guy doesn’t think that. Didn’t she put it in there to show she can make difficult decisions based on perceived needs while removing the emotional aspect? I’d actually buy that. Brain-dead example to convey that ability, but at least it would make sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

Gun crowd? Executing an old puppy/young dog gets the gun crowd jacked?

That's her continued miscalculation. To paraphrase Michael Jordan, "2A zealots love dogs too."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking a hunting dog into the field with no recall is a major no no, you don't send a dog into the field unless you know they have a solid and reliable recall. even my psychopath setter has a reliable recall and it was requisite before she saw field time. Luckily she developed that quickly. She occasionally requires a correction in the field, but that is usually just tone and no stim. She did ride the lightning anytime she chased deer.

Also a no no, not crating a hunting dog that is wound up and ready to hunt. My setter is the last "thing" out of the truck (always crated) and the first "thing" put in the truck. She is a torpedo as soon as you loosen your grip to get out in the field.

My golden is a giant lazy pile, doesn't require crating because I know she will always recall, listen to any command at range and doesn't have a fur drive, she might chase a chicken if given the chance, but I highly doubt it.

I know my two dogs and their attitude when in the field, I know what I can be lazy about and when I need to be 100% focused on the dog.

Lastly, every person that has worked with a hard charging high prey drive hunting dog has gotten their hand somewhere they shouldn't have. How much of a bite you take depends on how dumb you were and 99.99% of hunting dog people will straight away say "That was dumb of me." When that happens.

This whole story is just lazy trainer that didn't put the basic obedience training to work immediately.

To any and all dog owners or future owners, from day 1 make your dog sit and stay before being fed, release them from stay to get their food. They quickly learn that I need to listen before I get food.

This whole story makes my blood boil. I know dogs that have been put down for being aggressive, thousands of dollars and years of training couldn't break the abuse the dog received prior to adoption. That isn't the same situation as Noem being a lazy ass POS.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That got long and I wanted to add one more point:

Cricket is a German Wirehair Pointer, the "german dogs" shorthairs, pudelpointers and wirehairs were bred to be "versatile hunting dogs." That means they were bred to hunt everything, birds (waterfowl and upland), deer, pigs etc, they have a serious fur drive and can be nearly impossible to break. If you are looking for one of these breeds, talk to the breeder about how much fur drive their dogs have. Some have slowly bred that out, but they still come through at times.

Plenty of folks in the hunting dog world have stories about their german dogs that they wouldn't let out in or near farm yards because barn cats and chickens made happy hunting grounds.

There are thousands of avid bird hunters in SD that would have gladly paid Noem for the dog, instead she killed it. Bird dogs get rehomed constantly, not every dog has the temperament the owner is looking for, but there are plenty of folks out there that don't mind a wild child and can do wonders with proper yard work and training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched her on Face the Nation. She was terrible and couldn't admit she lied about meeting Kim Jong-un. This has become the gop's standard practice, lie and when called out for your lie, blame the woke media.
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is a terrible human. The Dakota Free Press (a self admitted liberal publication) does a pretty good job of calling out all her BS with supporting documentation.

She is the embodiment of FYIGM.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Her appearance during an interview this weekend reminded me of the husk that was once Kimberly Guilfoyle.

My goodness these two just look evil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate your perspective on this, thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Gun crowd? Executing an old puppy/young dog gets the gun crowd jacked? Even this anti-gun guy doesn’t think that. Didn’t she put it in there to show she can make difficult decisions based on perceived needs while removing the emotional aspect? I’d actually buy that. Brain-dead example to convey that ability, but at least it would make sense to me.

We don’t know why she put it in there. We just know the spin she gave it. One SD publication theorized that she knew the dog/goat story was going to come out if she was a VP candidate — because the story was known in SD circles and because there were numerous witnesses. So, under that theory, she tried to get out ahead of the story and tried to give it a positive spin.
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With every interview she sounds dumber and dumber.

https://www.threads.net/...SRbcrnokkCtt5a3qDqaw

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I get that she's trying to paint herself as a salt-of-the-earth, roll your sleeves up and git'r done kind of gal...

Kind of tough to pull off when you've got your face so caked in makeup that it looks like you went and got a makeover from a student at the Kim Kardashian School of Cosmetology.

Before MAGA

After MAGA

Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does things to people.

https://x.com/...MKbkOzpNU_o_bXlnvUlQ

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The story is in the book because Noem wanted it in the book. She tried to include in her first book "because it showed a decisive person who was unwilling to be bound by namby-pamby niceties". Her team talked her out of including it.

Kristi Noem Was Told Not to Tell Her Dog-Killing Story. She Did It Anyway. (msn.com)

Quote:
others on the team — which included agents, editors and publicists at Hachette Book Group’s prestige Twelve imprint, and a ghostwriter — saw it as a bad-taste anecdote that would hurt her brand. The tale was ultimately cut, according to two people involved with the project.

She has a different team with this book, they let her do stupid stuff.

Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So going MAGA makes females more attractive? 🤔
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

User name checks out

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Governor Kristi Noem sure loves dogs [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Your algorithm is broken
Quote Reply

Prev Next