Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more.
Quote | Reply
The other thread got me wondering.

Was there ever something that you saw come out, that you thought well this is gonna be huge.. and then it died...

I would say, Buying movies for home (VHS / Laser disc / DVD etc.. ) Actually hear this may be making a comeback as folks are getting sick of trying to find the classic movie they want to watch again, on streaming, but for now I think its pretty much dead.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Building my CD collection. I don't even have a CD player in the house anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [frisbeedisc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frisbeedisc wrote:

I have hundreds of CDs in boxes sitting somewhere in storage in my house. Why I still have them is a mystery. I don't even have anything capable of playing them in my house.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iTunes/iPod.

We could buy individual tracks for .99 each?! And fit thousands of them on a 20 GB iPod to take with us everywhere? Whoa.....

Now we use always connected smartphones and streaming music.

Fun fact: Winamp invented an online music store and wanted to integrate it with, at the time, their popular music player. AOL bought Winamp and instead of pursuing that idea, they used Winamp to promote AOL CDs with their dial-up service. lolol This was over a year before iTunes was introduced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keeping with the music theme but going back a bit more in the timeline.....The Walkman. Having the ability to listen to music, without bothering anyone else, and the ability to listen anywhere was YUGE as teenager.

I don't know if "died" is the right way to qualify what happened though. Same as the VHS/Laser Disc/DVD, it evolved.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
frisbeedisc wrote:

I have hundreds of CDs in boxes sitting somewhere in storage in my house. Why I still have them is a mystery. I don't even have anything capable of playing them in my house.

I don’t stream or satellite in car. I flip radio stations and then have a bunch of my CD’s in a carrier in car and still rotate.

Nobody else does this?
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
frisbeedisc wrote:

I don’t stream or satellite in car. I flip radio stations and then have a bunch of my CD’s in a carrier in car and still rotate.

Nobody else does this?
....no? I use an adapter to plug my phone into the car stereo system.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adapter? Not just Bluetooth?

I remember when I first saw the Tape-->CD player adapter. That was a game-changer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Zip drive was short lived, but was a game changer versus 3.5" floppy.

(Initially though work processor, but missed the "is no more" part)
Last edited by: J_R: Apr 19, 24 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [frisbeedisc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frisbeedisc wrote:

Other than youtube I've never downloaded music, I still buy CD's and vinyl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiVo

It was really great. Big hard drive attached to tv, record/ skip commercials etc. tvs got more hi res and the recording became obvious: Streaming came out and it fizzled.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:

Zip drive was short lived, but was a game changer versus 3.5" floppy.

(Initially though work processor, but missed the "is no more" part)

And it successor, the Jazz drive

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Keeping with the music theme but going back a bit more in the timeline.....The Walkman. Having the ability to listen to music, without bothering anyone else, and the ability to listen anywhere was YUGE as teenager.

I don't know if "died" is the right way to qualify what happened though. Same as the VHS/Laser Disc/DVD, it evolved.

Portable music player has just evolved... owning a movie, VHS/Laser/DVD has not evolved, its just died.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
frisbeedisc wrote:

Nobody else does this?

If my car had cd player, I would still listen to them.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monster cubre libra

Coke with coffee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frisbeedisc wrote:

Agree, I have boxes of CD's and now you don't even get many vehicles with CD players as they all have satellite radio in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400, 28800, 56K modems.
Last edited by: TJ56: Apr 19, 24 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crystal Pepsi. I loved that stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The VCR Tape rewinder. An awesome device for its time.
Quote Reply
Re: the one thing, you saw come out that was your life changer.. that is no more. [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
frisbeedisc wrote:

Agree, I have boxes of CD's and now you don't even get many vehicles with CD players as they all have satellite radio in them.

Both of our cars are old enough to have CD players in them

D'Wife has kept Foo Fighters Medicine At Midnight in hers for two years; I don't use mine- I plug my phone into the AUX Jack and run Spotify

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Nobody else does this?

You are not alone. I do the same.
Quote Reply