Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS
Quote | Reply
Saw this on a french site this morning but can’t find anything in english.

Apparently due to lack of funding.
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Apr 19, 24 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible... and not proffesional at all. do you imagine a F1 race being cancelled? Better to secure few places (even if they are always ghe same ones) than this mess.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but at least you own sardina again according to the article...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imola
https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...laced_by_wtcs_weihai
Cancellation of the WTCS and MTR Montreal events (originally 14-15 Sep).
WTC Wehai (27 Sep) has been upgraded to a WTCS.
Clashes with T100 Ibiza: affects Knibb/Duffy/van Riel/Spivey and any potential post-Olympics SC wildcards (Bergere? GTB?), and (maybe) Blummenfelt's build to Kona.
Doesn't clash with SuperTri:
supertri 2024:
August 18 – supertri Boston
August 25 – supertri Chicago
September 8 – supertri London
October 6 – supertri Toulouse
November 3 – supertri NEOM
pk wrote:
but at least you own Sardinia again according to the article...
Cagliari, from the mag's perspective from across the pond (Canada) sounds 'obviously' Spanish.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 20, 24 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible... and not proffesional at all. do you imagine a F1 race being cancelled? Better to secure few places (even if they are always ghe same ones) than this mess.

Yes - not good at a number of levels, but Triathlon races/events ARE NOT F1 races/events . . not even close!

There is a whole bunch of stuff behind the scenes that I'm not privy to discussing, but what I can say, is this speaks to the very precarious nature of Sports Events of this kind in North America AWAY from anything related to Pro Team Sports, Tennis and Golf (and F1) - you then go over a massive cliff in terms of the revenue possibilities and budgets.

I've recently been axed from two major big city marathons from my Announcing work with them, over my meagre Announcing fee for "budgetary reasons"!!

Endurance Sports Races/Events have bounced back nicely in terms of participation numbers from the setbacks of the pandemic, but behind the scenes there are still HUGE an MASSIVE challenges on the business side!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Saw this on a french site this morning but can’t find anything in english.

Apparently due to lack of funding.

that is the weekend World Tour cycling comes to Montreal.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not only canada given that the grand final was quietly changed from malaga to torremolinos.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
not only canada given that the grand final was quietly changed from malaga to torremolinos.
"Iconic venue" though I guess better than Neom.
And the bike course looks ghastly and fails to take advantage of possible gradients available just a mile inland.
https://torremolinos.triathlon.org/...triathlon_elite_u23/
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Imola
https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...laced_by_wtcs_weihai
Cancellation of the WTCS and MTR Montreal events (originally 14-15 Sep).
WTC Wehai (27 Sep) has been upgraded to a WTCS.
Clashes with T100 Ibiza: affects Knibb/Duffy/van Riel/Spivey and any potential post-Olympics SC wildcards (Bergere? GTB?), and (maybe) Blummenfelt's build to Kona.
Doesn't clash with SuperTri:
supertri 2024:
August 18 – supertri Boston
August 25 – supertri Chicago
September 8 – supertri London
October 6 – supertri Toulouse
November 3 – supertri NEOM

The athletes will just have to choose, go after t100 $$ and title or wtcs $$ title.
All those signed onto t100 were likely jumping to long course after Paris anyway, most wildcards possibly also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

Malaga and Torremolinos are quite close, about 18 mins, kind of like saying a race is in Sydney but is Cronulla(an hour) a suburb of Sydney. May have always been thinking it an option. Malaga has a harbour, Torremolinos more like a beach so water quality is likely better for athletes, this could be why.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All possible but the official maps for the race where for Málaga
for many months and the race was advertised as Málaga for almost a year I think now it's advertised as torremolinos.and is a different municipality.
So I guess if it was just a small change they would not have changed the name from grand final malage to grand final torremolinos
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yes - not good at a number of levels, but Triathlon races/events ARE NOT F1 races/events . . not even close!

Well - they are both niche sports for the wealthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torremolinos is a municipality of the Málaga province. Actually, neibouring to the Málaga municipality. And a 5 minute drive from the Málaga airport. So I guess that no changes there.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well - they are both niche sports for the wealthy.

There's wealthy and then there is wealthy, and there is money and then their is money.

I had to laugh at the IRONMAN World Championships the year shortly after the Wanda Group bought IRONMAN. Many of the Upper Executives of course showed up in Kona a few months after the purchase, to see first hand what the marquee Event was all about.

I doubt the VIP Experience was exactly what they had expected. IM had a VIP area, but having had VIP passes in the past myself, all it got you was, a cramped and crowded room in the King Kam Hotel and a standing room area at the finish line with no shade, and a brown bagged lunch they handed out to you! That's the experience the Wanda Execs had that first October in Kona. These are the sorts of folks who were used to the full on 5-star Executive Private Box VIP Treatment at F1 Races, Premier League Soccer Matches, The World Cup, Olympic Games and the Super Bowl. I noticed the next year in Kona, the VIP experience had changed substantially for the better! :-)

It's a long story, but I've personally had a bit of a peek in on the inside of FI Racing, the money is ridiculous in the sport!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Montreal Cancelled Weihai WC now WTCS [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Torremolinos is a municipality of the Málaga province. Actually, neibouring to the Málaga municipality. And a 5 minute drive from the Málaga airport. So I guess that no changes there.

certainly the name of the event has changed from malaga to torremolinos andalucia

https://www.triathlon.org/..._championship_finals

which to me would imply its a bit more than just a change of venue
and the major of malaga is not the major of torremolinos, had it been the province of malaga that announced the grand final i would definitely agree with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know the details, but first time I checked the course and when I did the hotel booking, it was still called Málaga. It could be an arrangement between majors of the same political party or something completely different. But it would not be due to a lack of resources, because Málaga is booming and October is no longer peak tourism.

Had this issue been raised two weeks ago I could have asked the major himself, as we were both doing the opening speeches on an event at Málaga ;-)
Quote Reply