Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing tyre on disc wheel?
Quote | Reply
I bought a disc wheel last year (Flo) and fitting a tyre (I used a GP5000) took me over an hour and was a fairly intense affair. The tyre just didn't seem big enough to stretch over the rim. Are Conti GP5000 tyres particularly tough to mount? Are there other brands/models that people could recommend that would be easier to mount? Are there any other hacks to make this easier?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have the tire bead in the trough?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP5000 TL ? TR ? Tubetype ?

TR and Tubetype are ok, TL near impossible to mount.

I'm waiting for Michelin power comp to check if they are easier to mount, can't see myself doing it in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

It was a new wheel, so I was mounting a new tyre from step one. I ended up mounting the tyre without a tube, because I was sure I was going to shred the tube otherwise. I eventually got the tyre on the rim, then gave myself a time-out and came back to it to put the tube under the tyre and sneak it on. No way would I want to have to repeat the process in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I don't understand the question. When I started, the tyre was on the floor next to the rim. When I finally finished the tyre was mounted on the rim. So at the start the bead was not in the trough, but by the end of the process the tyre bead was in the trough. When I first put the tyre on the wheel, about 60% of the tyre's circumference was in the trough, the rest was stretched across the rim. It took a long time to force the rest of the tyre's edge up and over the rim so that it could sit in the trough.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave the tire in the sun and that will make the process bit easier but some wheel and tire combination make mounting very very tough. Looks like you got that combination and tire will loosen up and stretch a little so it's going be bit easier next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience GP5000 tires are really tight when new. I have not mounted them in FLO wheels, but a few sets of HED. After they have been in use a little, they are relatively easy. I have never worried about repairing a tire on a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
In my experience GP5000 tires are really tight when new. I have not mounted them in FLO wheels, but a few sets of HED. After they have been in use a little, they are relatively easy. I have never worried about repairing a tire on a ride.

Yeah, it was a brand-new tyre on a brand-new wheel. My big race is Penticton this summer and it's always warm there, so maybe if I get a flat it will be easier to change.

Do you know of any other brands that might give similar performance to the GP5000 but be a little more stretchy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
Yeah, it was a brand-new tyre on a brand-new wheel. My big race is Penticton this summer and it's always warm there, so maybe if I get a flat it will be easier to change.

Do you know of any other brands that might give similar performance to the GP5000 but be a little more stretchy?
I would not sweat it. You can almost bare-hand replace a GP5000 that has been in use. Give the tire a month or so and check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to use a little amount of dishwashing liquid on the inner side of the tyre. But be careful to not to put any on the outer side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. At the least, it'll save your hand skin from all the abuse. It really works - so well I carry a similar but mini-sized one in my flat kit all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Get the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. At the least, it'll save your hand skin from all the abuse. It really works - so well I carry a similar but mini-sized one in my flat kit all the time.

^^^^^This. Cheap ($14) and works great. As mentioned, once the tire is on for a while it stretches. When changing a flat on my HED J6, I can do a GP5000 without a lever.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He means to have the tire bead in the center of the rim channel rather than close to the edge where it would actually seat when inflated.

I find if you get the full first bead sitting mid-center in the channel it makes the second bead significantly easier to get on. Makes sense since the circumference is probably ~1cm less there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless rims are purposefully shapes with a u in the middle. You need to make sure the tire bead is in this trough all the way around the rim when putting the last bit over the rim. Done right it's not too hard, done wrong it's almost impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I do enjoy that bead jack. What smaller one do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I do enjoy that bead jack. What smaller one do you have?

https://ezclincher.com/

It’s legit and works great. Have used mine on the road several times already and it’s been great to have. No problem for me with the short handle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have the bigger original, but think this will be better in the rear pocket!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I've ordered one for my flat kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing tyre on disc wheel? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Tubeless rims are purposefully shapes with a u in the middle. You need to make sure the tire bead is in this trough all the way around the rim when putting the last bit over the rim. Done right it's not too hard, done wrong it's almost impossible.

The wheel I have is a clincher, with an inner tube. I'm not sure if this changes things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What model year is the wheel? Did you buy it new?
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Apr 19, 24 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

The wheel I have is a clincher, with an inner tube. I'm not sure if this changes things.

Your wheel is tubeless compatible.

You need to put the tire beads in the center trough or you won't be able to mount the tire.
Quote Reply