Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
trail wrote:
sphere wrote:
“This Judge has taken away my Constitutional Right to FREE SPEECH. I am the only Presidential Candidate in History to be GAGGED. This whole “Trial” is RIGGED, and by taking away my FREEDOM OF SPEECH, THIS HIGHLY CONFLICTED JUDGE IS RIGGING THE PRESIDENTIAL OF 2024 ELECTION. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!!!”

Donald Trump Truth Social 02:09 PM EST 04/30/24

It's always easy to figure out when court is in recess. Those thumbs immediately get to work.
Does this count/ qualify as one more contempt of court or breach of the gag order infraction?

The gag order does not apply to statements about the judge or the DA. Although the reference to the trial being rigged potentially could apply to the jury, that is too loose to be a basis for contempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
“This Judge has taken away my Constitutional Right to FREE SPEECH. I am the only Presidential Candidate in History to be GAGGED. This whole “Trial” is RIGGED, and by taking away my FREEDOM OF SPEECH, THIS HIGHLY CONFLICTED JUDGE IS RIGGING THE PRESIDENTIAL OF 2024 ELECTION. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!!!”

Donald Trump Truth Social 02:09 PM EST 04/30/24

When exactly IS "THE PRESIDENTIAL OF 2024 ELECTION?"

I know that the 2024 Presidential Election is in November

ETA: Often misquoted as "Forget it, he's on a roll"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 30, 24 17:16
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Trump held in contempt on 9 of 10 submissions by the prosecution.

$1k per offense, no judicial discretion, which puts jailing for future offenses closer to the touch line.

Trump will have to balance his unmanageable impulses against his fear of incarceration versus his perceived benefit of leveling up his martyrdom narrative.

If it makes you feel any better, since he was found guilty of criminal contempt, I think this technically makes Donald Trump a “convicted criminal.”

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
klehner wrote:

Justice Merchan has indicated that he feels that the law-mandated maximum of $1,000/infraction may not be enough. I really think that if Trump continues, there will be "incarceratory punishment" handed down by Merchan.

I would suggest doubling the fine with each infraction. Trump is likely too dumb to do the math on that one and would quickly dig himself into a big $ hole.

Max he can fine him is $1000 per NY rules. Which really makes jail the only escalation.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
klehner wrote:

Justice Merchan has indicated that he feels that the law-mandated maximum of $1,000/infraction may not be enough. I really think that if Trump continues, there will be "incarceratory punishment" handed down by Merchan.

I would suggest doubling the fine with each infraction. Trump is likely too dumb to do the math on that one and would quickly dig himself into a big $ hole.

Max he can fine him is $1000 per NY rules. Which really makes jail the only escalation.

Every time he violates the order, schedule a hearing to discuss it on Wednesday afternoon. If that isn't enough, schedule another Saturday. He'll get tired of having his days tied up.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

$1k per offense, no judicial discretion, which puts jailing for future offenses closer to the touch line.

Trump will have to balance his unmanageable impulses against his fear of incarceration versus his perceived benefit of leveling up his martyrdom narrative.

If it makes you feel any better, since he was found guilty of criminal contempt, I think this technically makes Donald Trump a “convicted criminal.”

Yes, in theory as part of his conditional release in his other criminal trials, one of the conditions is that he commits no other crimes, and this ruling technically breaks that. So in theory, though unlikely, he could be remanded in custody by the other judges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

So you're saying we should see another bump in his approval ratings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

Wake me up when the words "remanded to" enter the chat.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

It. would make me feel better...if that was accurate. Joyce Vance (Law Prof, MSNBC/NBC Legal Analyst, Podcaster Before: US Atty, Fed'l prosecutor) opines:

Quote:
There has been a suggestion that Trump is in violation of the terms of his pre-trial release in this and other cases, which require that he not commit any new crimes. I’ve looked into that, and my tentative conclusion is that these charges don’t technically qualify as “crimes.” Prosecutors asked the Judge to issue a show cause order pursuant to Judiciary Law § 751A, a series of laws that define the powers of courts in New York. The contempt provision found here permits a Judge to make a finding of contempt, as we discussed above, to protect the integrity of court proceedings. It is not a charge brought via a grand jury and tried in court. That sort of contempt is found in New York’s criminal code, which provides for felony charges, but it was not used here—that would have been a long, drawn-out process. So this contempt finding is not a clear violation of law that would suffice to revoke Trump’s bond in this or other cases where he is on pre-trial release.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

It. would make me feel better...if that was accurate. Joyce Vance (Law Prof, MSNBC/NBC Legal Analyst, Podcaster Before: US Atty, Fed'l prosecutor) opines:

Quote:
There has been a suggestion that Trump is in violation of the terms of his pre-trial release in this and other cases, which require that he not commit any new crimes. I’ve looked into that, and my tentative conclusion is that these charges don’t technically qualify as “crimes.” Prosecutors asked the Judge to issue a show cause order pursuant to Judiciary Law § 751A, a series of laws that define the powers of courts in New York. The contempt provision found here permits a Judge to make a finding of contempt, as we discussed above, to protect the integrity of court proceedings. It is not a charge brought via a grand jury and tried in court. That sort of contempt is found in New York’s criminal code, which provides for felony charges, but it was not used here—that would have been a long, drawn-out process. So this contempt finding is not a clear violation of law that would suffice to revoke Trump’s bond in this or other cases where he is on pre-trial release.

It may not qualify as a violation of his pre-trial release terms, but the charge Vance links to is indeed "criminal contempt."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next