Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clip on aerobars
Quote | Reply
Has anyone solved the problem of putting clip-on aerobars on the newer style aero drop bars with an integrated stem that don't have the usual round 31.8mm profile?
Quote Reply
Re: Clip on aerobars [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few of your questions have been answered here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...lip_Ons%3F_P8070198/
Quote Reply
Re: Clip on aerobars [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Michael. I was hoping there was something more generic than bike brand specific and cheaper. I guess I'll try to fashion something myself with carbon fibre moulds. Must be a market opportunity for profile design at some stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Design has zero interest in that. Risk factors are much too high.
The projects making shaped clamps in collaboration with bike brands were difficult and not worth the effort. So making clamps for bars that weren't designed for that is a definite no.
From a safety perspective, if your integrated road bar doesn't have an aerobar solution, bodging a solution is extremely risky.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip on aerobars [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.com/...6NF9VXH4gb79G1wnlz7E

Those crazy Norwegians. Living life on the edge.
Last edited by: Mark57: Apr 9, 24 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the handlebar is made to be clamped in that instance.
That is by far the biggest risk factor, because crushing the carbon around there is a really bad idea
Even small variances on a shaped clamp on a reinforced carbon bar can cause stress risers and failure

The safety of the homemade bars is a further topic, but not all that important in comparison to not clamping carbon that wasn't built to be clamped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will chime in the same

Control Tech has worked with a few brands to make an adapter for stem attachment on integrated bars and I can only assume they worked with the brands to create it safely.

The propel of Gustav was building on top of Giant clip on for that handlebar from original manufacturer.

Carbon HAS to be laid up for clip on clamping forces. If not, there is a HUGE rish for failure. If you really need clip ons. the best bet is to remove that 1 piece design and buy a clean 2 piece design made for aerobars. I took my integrated bar off and installed control techs bar.
https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/178.html

There are some stem mounted designs coming out, but that will still require a separate/bar stem combo. Only Black Inc has a bar with aerobar attachment and canyon for their gravel bike. but then your limited to their designs which don't offer much stack or angle adjustment... There are always trade offs.

Although I am a TINY competitor to profile, David and I chat often so, we are both on the same page about many things and share ideas/ concerns with eachother about where the market is trying to go. for example adding reach and the added risk it adds to carbon layup not designed for that forward reach settings. etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caveat Emptor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I can speak from experience

I know which factory is the original supplier of that and after riding their similar design/ parts on a different handlebar from them there was SOO Much flex I took it off the bike. So, from that perspective I would stay away.

2. Same issue as before, you are still clamping on carbon that was never designed for that. I can tell you this supplier hasn't tested it on anything but what they make in house so trusting that on another brand aerobar is a HUGE liability and risk as the carbon layup was NEVER intended for any load/ clamping forces of an aerobar attachment.

If you really want, buy a 2 piece design made for aerobars. I wouldn't risk something like this with an off the shell alibaba, aliexpress purchase....

the level of testing established brands do is pricey and that is what they are also recovering in thier pricing. I don't just trust my suppliers in house testing. I use an outside German test facility in Taiwan to validate things with an extremely difficult test.

So, my suggestion, don't put your life at risk with something like this.
Quote Reply