Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you all have good weather for tomorrow. I saw it in 2017 and luckily did not have to travel further than walking outside and looking up.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just outside Marble Falls, TX. A year ago this was the place to be, not the northeast! Beautiful now but clouds coming in on the morning.

Maybe some clearing around eclipse time. Also have read that the cooling effect of the eclipse may diminish the clouds. But we’re here now and not willing to brave 12 plus hours on the road to get to someplace likely to be clear

Saw 2017 too, so I know what I’m missing. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in CT. Just drove up to Albany for tonight and then driving up to Plattsburgh tomorrow am. Partly cloudy so hoping for the best.

Good luck everybody!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
I'm stepping out my front door. We're in the 100% zone.

We are expecting well over 1 million visitors to the area (Austin and West of town).

The local power company is worried about extra stress on the grid.
Mayors have declared a state of emergency. We've been warned to stock up on gas and groceries to avoid shortages.
In other words, react like we do when there is a threat of ice. I hope noone needs toilet paper, bottled water, or milk.

Me too. I am on North Shore of Lake Erie about 60 miles east of Detroit. Looks like it is going to be mainly sunny. Fingers crossed.

Latest update here: strong chance of showers.

Just outside of a nearby small town I saw a sign:"eclipse parking $200/car"

Is anyone really willing to pay that?

We're in a gated community. Our mailboxes and parking lot is just outside the gate. I suggested we charge people to park.
Turns old some old fogies are going to patrol the parking lot to make sure we don't have tresspassers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Just outside Marble Falls, TX.

I was bummed to see the forecast. I hope it's wrong.

Hope you guys are otherwise enjoying the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GET OFF MY LAWN. Despite being in a good spot I don't thing anybody is travelling to our office's parking lot.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

We are expecting well over 1 million visitors to the area (Austin and West of town).

Mayors have declared a state of emergency. We've been warned to stock up on gas and groceries to avoid shortages.
In other words, react like we do when there is a threat of ice. I hope noone needs toilet paper, bottled water, or milk.

Me too. I am on North Shore of Lake Erie about 60 miles east of Detroit. Looks like it is going to be mainly sunny. Fingers crossed.

We're in a gated community. Our mailboxes and parking lot is just outside the gate. I suggested we charge people to park.
Turns old some old fogies are going to patrol the parking lot to make sure we don't have tresspassers.

Churches here charging between $20 and $50 dollars to park, from what I saw online. Our hotel gave us a parking pass to put in the window. Forcast now down to 27%, looks like I picked a winner location a year ago. Now I hope this is as amazing as I have heard.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Just outside Marble Falls, TX. A year ago this was the place to be, not the northeast! Beautiful now but clouds coming in on the morning.

Maybe some clearing around eclipse time. Also have read that the cooling effect of the eclipse may diminish the clouds. But we’re here now and not willing to brave 12 plus hours on the road to get to someplace likely to be clear

Saw 2017 too, so I know what I’m missing. :(

Yeah things flipped from historical forecast Maine is clear Texas cloudy.

There are some people here (just outside Indianapolis), from Ok. They were going to head to TX but because of the weather headed up here. I assume they booked the backup plan early.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was talking at breakfast to a family from Kentucky up here, made it a family event, they have 60 people staying at this hotel. I heard them talking about setting up tables.. Might have a party to crash, with our long lost cousins, from Louisville, lol

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

I have about a 30-45 minute drive to get somewhere to get the full eclipse, but once I heard people were charging to park and that crowds were expected I said screw that. I'll watch it from home or work and get the 97% or whatever coverage we'll get where I am. I drive I95 in central Maine to get to and from work, and they've had signs up for a few days saying to expect heavy traffic today.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA (actually posted in the news here): HAHAHA

Do not attempt to watch the solar eclipse while driving. Find a safe place to park and then watch the eclipse. Peak darkness will last just a few minutes.
Use public transportation to avoid the potential of clogged roads, breakdowns, and crashes.
Do not drive with eclipse glasses on.
Drive safely. Eagerness to view the eclipse is not an acceptable reason to drive aggressively or while distracted.
Do not attempt to take pictures of the eclipse while driving.
Drive with your headlights on. Not only will drivers be much more visible to other drivers, but forward vision will be improved.
Watch out for pedestrians. There may be many people standing in or along the roadway to get a glimpse of the eclipse.
Watch out for animals, as well. When a solar eclipse reaches totality, nocturnal wildlife can awaken, and non-nocturnal animals might think it’s time to sleep.
Be alert to the possibility of increased traffic and distracted drivers swerving into lanes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I hope you all have good weather for tomorrow. I saw it in 2017 and luckily did not have to travel further than walking outside and looking up.

I have almost clear skies with just some very high wispy clouds that are forecast to keep clearing. We are rolling with the back patio.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my parents' camp in northern NH, in Colebrook right on Rt. 26. Went over Dixville Notch this morning, and there were already better than 30 vehicles at the Table Rock trailhead at 9am! (Guess I won't bother with hiking that to watch the eclipse...)

Colebrook itself was already starting to get busy at 8:30. Seem like a large influx of out-of-staters, which they need as there really wasn't much of a snowmobile season up here this winter.

Not a cloud in the sky right now, forecast says it'll remain like this, more or less, until the eclipse. We'll see what happens...

So far, nobody has tried parking on the edge or in the field; hopefully it stays that way (April in the north country ain't the time of year to be driving in a field).
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I have almost clear skies with just some very high wispy clouds that are forecast to keep clearing. We are rolling with the back patio.

We've had very few clear days the last few weeks here, and just had 4 days straight of snow, then rain for a couple of days before it started clearing yesterday late. Best day of the year so far, temps up around 60 and only few wispy clouds in the sky.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
PSA (actually posted in the news here): HAHAHA

Do not attempt to watch the solar eclipse while driving. Find a safe place to park and then watch the eclipse. Peak darkness will last just a few minutes.
Use public transportation to avoid the potential of clogged roads, breakdowns, and crashes.
Do not drive with eclipse glasses on.
Drive safely. Eagerness to view the eclipse is not an acceptable reason to drive aggressively or while distracted.
Do not attempt to take pictures of the eclipse while driving.
Drive with your headlights on. Not only will drivers be much more visible to other drivers, but forward vision will be improved.
Watch out for pedestrians. There may be many people standing in or along the roadway to get a glimpse of the eclipse.
Watch out for animals, as well. When a solar eclipse reaches totality, nocturnal wildlife can awaken, and non-nocturnal animals might think it’s time to sleep.
Be alert to the possibility of increased traffic and distracted drivers swerving into lanes.

I feel like I need to get home before it starts or there's going to be chaos!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember my kids showed me something cool during the last eclipse. If you look at shadows on the ground of leaves in trees, the leaves will act as pinhole cameras and cast the shadow of the eclipse on the ground.

The above is a picture I found on the internet and shows leaf shadows on the ground under a tree during an eclipse. To be clear, look at the shadows on the ground.
Last edited by: Barks&Purrs: Apr 8, 24 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

Texas is so jacked up with their government that a strong wind causes their grid to fail.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel plans for the Eclipse [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
Texas is so jacked up with their government that a strong wind causes their grid to fail.

I farted once and our lights flickered.

Otherwise, thanks for bringing politics into a non-political thread.
Quote Reply

Prev Next