Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:
thetrickster wrote:
- A Revolutionary New Feature for Open Water Swimming - Introducing SwimStraight™

I look forward to getting this update! This could save at least 5-10s/100m by not lifting my head for sighting ever 2-4 strokes. It may also save seconds/minutes by helping me reduce the overall distance I swim when I zigzag. My eyesight is pretty poor and if the buoys are more than 100/150m apart I can't see them.

Perhaps cleaning up your stroke so you actually swim straight would be a benefit? Spend the money on a good swim evaluation and you certainly won't miss goggles that will point you in the right direction.....maybe.....

Good point, GG, stroke and technique work are always a plus to help you swim more efficiently. But we do see event the "best" swimmers heading off course. Hoping to give these goggles a try at some point, esp since I'm adding some open water to my weekly swim training.

Hey Karen, Yes I think swimming straight is crazy important and a better idea than spending money on a device that may or may not keep one on track. I often swim in the pool with my eyes closed to see if an imbalance has me going to one side or the other. Also, when eliminating one sense, the others tend to be heightened so I can sense my body position so much better. This seems to add more metrics (and possibly more distraction) when many of the top coaches are telling us to quit relying on far too many metrics in our training. Info overload is a real thing. Having used the Finis ones it's a novelty, but doesn't serve to make me any faster. I just know now in real time how damn slow I am.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as someone who's always been a skilled (if not fast) open-water swimmer, i'm sad that this gadget is going to come along and erode my advantage!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
as someone who's always been a skilled (if not fast) open-water swimmer, i'm sad that this gadget is going to come along and erode my advantage!

I wouldn't worry a bit.....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [brad.bischoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brad.bischoff wrote:
Thank you.
Update:
You will need to go to app store and make sure the app is updated first before the new software is pushed to the googles.
I was banging my head on why this wouldn't load. Played with this setting at my office desk, and I feel this is a game changer for those like me who like to zip zap and swim longer than needed.

Thanks for this info - it saved me some head scratching. I discovered another wrinkle, though - I apparently have an early batch of the v1 goggles, and the hardware on it isn't compatible with SwimStraight (the curse of the early adopter). I had already ordered the v2, so they were kind enough to retroactively discount my order.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [E_DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But before we provide details on them, as well as the expanded features in HeadCoach arriving soon, it’s important to remember what FORM goggles have already done. The closest comparable, in my mind, is the way the Oakland Athletics utilized sabermetrics to revolutionize baseball, both in training and for in-game decisions

For those of us where our entire knowledge of baseball is that there was a person called Babe ruth, Kevin Costner had a farm that grew dead baseball playing holograms and it was Snoopy's favourite game then that example didn't help much. I'm guessing you can't translate into Cricket speak for the rest of the world, but anyone care to explain what sabermetrics are (in this context).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
For those of us where our entire knowledge of baseball is that there was a person called Babe ruth, Kevin Costner had a farm that grew dead baseball playing holograms and it was Snoopy's favourite game then that example didn't help much. I'm guessing you can't translate into Cricket speak for the rest of the world, but anyone care to explain what sabermetrics are (in this context).

Thanks

The Brad Pitt movie "Moneyball" is about this topic and is a pretty interesting movie even if you're not that into baseball.
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This company launched a kick starter a while ago that included the HR and virtual training partner.
https://ghostpacer.com/#

When it's interchangeable magnetic lenses for different light conditions. Please take my money.

2019 Felt IA3
2022 Giant TCR Pro
Find me on strava
https://strava.app.link/HoaJ6fq5AHb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just have to wear the ugliest glasses known to man mind….

Also, for people listening to music in the pool. Who still owns mp3s? Is there a headset that pairs with spotify or something?

I just got a new pair of form goggles a couple weeks before the new version was released… of course. But am glad cuz I’d prefer the 12 month free and don’t really care about hr. I suck at swimming. It’s always high! Ha
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Form goggles are a good concept, but in practice i can barely see my arm extending at the front, and the risk of bumping into another swimmer is very high. You also need lines on the floor to indicate when to turn (i once banges my head against the wall in a pool without lines). Sincerely hope version 2 is better in that respect. More data is a nice to have but if you can't see it's all a bit pointless
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
You just have to wear the ugliest glasses known to man mind….

Also, for people listening to music in the pool. Who still owns mp3s? Is there a headset that pairs with spotify or something?

I just got a new pair of form goggles a couple weeks before the new version was released… of course. But am glad cuz I’d prefer the 12 month free and don’t really care about hr. I suck at swimming. It’s always high! Ha

I use the Aftershokz bone conduction MP3 player. Pricey, but by far the most elegant solution for swimming with tunes. The problem with trying to do streaming is that bluetooth has an underwater range of 1-2 inches, and an above water range of 10m (which is a problem if you plan on leaving your phone at one end of a 25m pool). MP3 is a dated tech for many folks, but onboard storage is the most practical solution for swimming atm.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need for MP3s. There are plenty of products for non-streaming music with Spotify et.c. . Have a look at e.g. the Garmin line of "Music"-watches.

I don't know of any such for swimming, but I'm not in the market
Last edited by: slow_bob: Apr 3, 24 22:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:

Yeah the Shokz headphones are the best ones I've tried in terms of fit and sound quality, but its a right pain trying to sort out mp3's for it, considering everything is streamed these days. I've just ended up with the same couple of mp3 albums I listen too over and over again.

h2audio have a feature built-in called Playlist+ which when you connect them as a Bluetooth audio device, has onboard recording (so its re-recording the audio) so you can listen back in the pool

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In an age where cycling glasses are getting bigger and wider and more crazy, it’s funny that the big crazy face mask style goggles are not more popular in swimming with the elites. But the wide curved lenses that the top speedo and arena goggles do provide a lot of visibility
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking they could sync with spotify when connected to wifi, much like the garmin watches. Save any playlists or podcasts to the device so they can be listened to in the pool. I’m surprised this isn’t the case yet…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
I was thinking they could sync with spotify when connected to wifi, much like the garmin watches. Save any playlists or podcasts to the device so they can be listened to in the pool. I’m surprised this isn’t the case yet…

That's an enormous upgrade. They don't connect to Wifi, only bluetooth. Bluetooth doesn't work very well underwater, let alone above water 75-150ft away at the other end of the pool. So you'd need internal storage which they don't have (well, not enough of for music). Then once you've solved having audio stored/streamed you need some sort of headphones. A bunch of underwater designs out there, all require not insignificant battery power. And sized in such a way that they're something a majority wouldn't want attached to their goggles.

I'd much rather have a race-ier pair of goggles that I can wear headphones with than a bulky pair of goggles that I can't remove headphones from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:

I’ve tried a bunch but the best are still Shokz. And yes the MP3 limit sucks. I found a site that you can download Spotify playlists into MP3s and I just used my favorites list to get a 100+ set of songs I have on shuffle. It’s not ideal as I’d like more variety and maybe a podcast every now and then, but it’s better than silence. https://spotifydown.com/ is the site.

The next best option is the Delphin player from Underwater Audio. It’s an update to the waterproof iPod Shuffle that is an Android tablet that can actually run a few apps and the best part was downloading offline Spotify playlists. The negative with them is they use wired earbuds and I’m not a fan of any earplugs while swimming. Other than that it would probably be perfect.

The one I haven’t tried is Zygo. It’s an on deck transmitter system that your phone connects to via Bluetooth and it broadcasts using RF. I don’t normally even have my phone on deck so thinking I’d have to remember to bring it and charge and bring a transmitter as well as my fancy goggles just hasn’t caught my attention, yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I updated *everything*-- phone app and goggles firmware. Went through their silly "simulated swim" demonstration. THEN the next time I opened Open Water Swim, there it was.
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get a special discount? I’m thinking about V2 and was wondering why they weren’t offering some type of discount to current subscribers.
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Talk about screwing over existing customers. It’s really bad.

The 2 months of included Premium isn’t valid if yo already are a premium subscriber there is no extra 2 months.

“Please note, you won't get a second trial of Premium if you have already had one.”

That’s poor.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like no discounts for tri clubs with Form affiliation, at least with mine.
Quote Reply
Re: New v2 Formswim goggles coming April 2nd [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Looks like no discounts for tri clubs with Form affiliation, at least with mine.

Yes, no discounts on V2 for the time being.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next