Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me add a tale. 5’81/2”. Could dunk ( volleyball) because i grew up during integration in South, and well, it just about mandatory to get on the court. We ran stadiums with leg weights and it paid off for one of my former teammates https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_White. Wilt Chamberlain praised his dunking abilities back in the day. Herb was 6’2” and had nickname of “elevator”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Older we get, The Better we were" ;>)
Fortunately - My Dunking Skills are not on You Tube.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
My husband is 6’5” and I just learned he can’t dunk a basketball. (No idea what this never came up in our first 20 years of marriage).

I thought it was a normal party trick for tall people.

Well, you already married him, and it’s been 20 years so you’re just gonna have to deal with it. I’m sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
The amount of lying going on in this thread is amusing. I’d venture that most of the people quoting a vertical leap have never even tested it!

Mine was tested. 34" from standing.

It's now probably 3.4". :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 27, 24 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's harder than it looks. At 6'5" you've got to have a 25" vertical to roll one over the rim in a layup line. With that jump you're not dunking in a game unless it's wide open.

You'd have to be closer to 30" to do anything that would get anyone's attention.

Significantly undertrained since 1999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
The amount of lying going on in this thread is amusing. I’d venture that most of the people quoting a vertical leap have never even tested it!

I could very much be wrong about mine as I've never had it tested.

My standing reach is 8 feet. In my 20s I could hit the rim about 2" below my wrist. So that's 24" to the rim, plus another 10" = 34"

I wrote that accurately in my 2nd post. My first one I claimed a "vert of 33 inches," which would be wrong because a vert is not supposed to incorporate a running start.

No idea how much of a difference that would make. I'm guessing my true vert at the time was more like 25-26"

My point still stands, though. Very few people at the courts could dunk.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:
It's harder than it looks. At 6'5" you've got to have a 25" vertical to roll one over the rim in a layup line. With that jump you're not dunking in a game unless it's wide open.

You'd have to be closer to 30" to do anything that would get anyone's attention.

Even 6'9" pro 'ballers struggle to dunk
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 3 plus 33 inches

Should get your head at about 9 feet. What is going on with your arms to nor be dunking?

The average nba player is 28 inches and they are on average 6 feet 7.

Your vertical should be getting you there
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
I managed to dunk a softball.. didn't have the hops for a basketball, but then I'm only 5'8".

Get me on a lowered court (9ft or lower) and I was MJ baby... I'd dunk in traffic .. whatever. I knew ppl 6'5' and above that could dunk, but not in traffic or anyone around them.

Same here, 5'6", had a lot of vertical when young, could get my fingers over the rim. I always wished that I was 6" taller just so that I could dunk. Can barely touch the net now.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Mar 28, 24 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
6 3 plus 33 inches

Should get your head at about 9 feet. What is going on with your arms to nor be dunking?

The average nba player is 28 inches and they are on average 6 feet 7.

Your vertical should be getting you there

Just under 9 feet.

A basketball is 9.5" inches in diameter. So while I got my hand to 10'10", I couldn't get enough of it over the bal to stuff it. I was literally probably within an inch of being able to dunk. I could easily dunk a volleyball, which was an inch in diameter smaller.

Quote Reply
Re: How hard is it to dunk a basketball? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
KKG wrote:
I managed to dunk a softball.. didn't have the hops for a basketball, but then I'm only 5'8".

Get me on a lowered court (9ft or lower) and I was MJ baby... I'd dunk in traffic .. whatever. I knew ppl 6'5' and above that could dunk, but not in traffic or anyone around them.

Same here, 5'6", had a lot of vertical when young, could get my fingers over the rim. I always wished that I was 6" taller just so that I could dunk. Can barely touch the net now.

Again, people don't realize how high you need to get to dunk. Based on my experience, you need to get at least 11" over the rim. Was another 6" in height going to get you that 11"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Again, people don't realize how high you need to get to dunk. Based on my experience, you need to get at least 11" over the rim. Was another 6" in height going to get you that 11"?

Probably, I was 3-4" over the rim. In that parallel universe, my arms would also be longer, so I would probably have had ~9" of extra reach. Sadly, I will never know....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
My husband is 6’5” and I just learned he can’t dunk a basketball. (No idea what this never came up in our first 20 years of marriage).

No matter how embarrassed you were when your husband could not dunk at the party, you should not let this affect your relationship, especially after twenty years of marriage.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled to dunk from 16 to 18 as I was trying to dunk it like MJ or Dominique. Then we had a training session with one of the top local woman players.

After watching us try to dunk, she said you can dunk, its not a lack of hops Gave us tennis balls, then soccer balls and hey presto we worked out that if you can do a finger touch over the top of the rim you can dunk.

Did the same with two hands, rather then Darly Dawkins it, just in motion ran, held it out in front an placed it into the hoop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Argh, the ole' "You're tall; so, dunking is easy" sentiment. I'm 6'6", when I was in college I could dunk any way you asked, from both two feet and one. Now that I'm much older, when I look up at the rim, I think to myself, "That is so very high. How could anyone dunk?"

Personally, losing the ability to dunk was what drove me from basketball to triathlon. Dunking is amazingly enjoyable, and--for me--basketball was no longer the same enjoyable sport. Part of that was getting older and part was going to law school, which was the same season as basketball; whereas triathlon was a summer sport.

Thanks for the stroll down "glory days" lane.
Quote Reply

Prev Next