Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes - you are correct. There may be some complications there. But who knows with how the NCAA will look come fall...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
NCAA rules have changed to allow endorsements. No need to "go pro" unless he wants to drop out of school and focus on swimming/endorsements. But, ASU isn't the most stringent academic institution, so who knows....

I read there are some wonky rules regarding NIL, and foreign athletes?

All of this aside, the entire NCAA men's swimming landscape might get turned on its head in a few hours. I suppose I root for the Longhorns, I really hope they didn't pick Hansen.

So what's wrong with Hansen??? I assume you're talking of the replacement for the retiring Eddie Reese at Texas. You and tallswimmer are talking in code; you need to explain and let the rest of us in on the "turned on its head" business. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Texas is hiring Hansen, Durden (Cal), Bowman, or Holloway (NC St).

There’s a small chance they promote assistant coach Wyatt Collins which interestingly enough (i think you know this) but he used to be a semi regular poster here!

Hansen has Eddie’s backing otherwise he wouldn’t be considered. Hes not exactly well like by people he swam with. And honestly he doesn’t have the credentials for the job. UT has a (for swimming) huge NIL fund. The new coach is going to have a lot of levers at his disposal to bring UT straight back to the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durden or Bowman would be a huge blow to those programs, especially ASU. I think it would have to be crazy money to get Bowman out of there at this point, and hopefully ASU has the funds to come close to a match..Cal kind of in the same place too, are you ready to end your dynasty??

NC state is knocking on the door too, so not good for them to lose their coach, and Nesty has to be locked into Florida with the school and the greatness olympic program going on there...But who knows, I suppose all of this could get moved to Texas too, just the transition year will be very bumpy...
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Bob's entrenched in the desert and won't go anywhere, either personally or with the huge group of Pro's he's got. I don't think Wyatt will get it - they tried to make him coach in waiting a few years ago and then Eddie backtracked. I'd bet Holloway from NC State - Austin over Raleigh. Durden won't leave Cal now that he's got both men and women. Nesty and the pros there won't leave Florida. David Marsh is too old and has too much baggage to get back in the game as a head coach. Maybe Yuri from Wisconsin, but he's had more success with the women than the men in Madison, and going from a combined program to a single gender might not be what he wants. I'd look mid to upper half of the top 25- the program has too much history and standing to pick someone without significant experience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brendan's only real experience was with a club for a few years, and he got run out of there on a rail (though who knows, maybe it was a crazy parent board, more than his coaching?) I really don't think he is the one.

Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That exactly what I was thinking, the entrenched programs would be hard to poach a coach from. But I dont really know the finances of mens swimming coaches, so perhaps a 5x or 10x offer could dislodge someone who needs the money?? I know for the big sports it is in the several millions of dollars for coaches, but swimming, what are they getting for top programs?? And would a school like Texas venture in the low ends of football programs to get back into the podium once again???

My gut feeling is no, but now that college sports are being more professionalized at the athlete level, perhaps a change is coming for the minor sports and their budgets?
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That exactly what I was thinking, the entrenched programs would be hard to poach a coach from. But I dont really know the finances of mens swimming coaches, so perhaps a 5x or 10x offer could dislodge someone who needs the money?? I know for the big sports it is in the several millions of dollars for coaches, but swimming, what are they getting for top programs?? And would a school like Texas venture in the low ends of football programs to get back into the podium once again???

My gut feeling is no, but now that college sports are being more professionalized at the athlete level, perhaps a change is coming for the minor sports and their budgets?

Cal moving to the ACC is very much a problem. First they lose $10M in revenue while Texas is gaining $20M moving to SEC. And then their travel schedule is just going to be weird. Durden is from Texas, he wanted the job in the past. I know that is who the alumni want, which doesn't mean he still wants the job, but I think its possible.

ASU is moving to the Big 12. ASU can do two things: pay Bowman more than they ever wanted to at a time when they are going to need to reassess finances, or lose him to Texas (unless Durden goes there first). The only thing is, there are people who don't like Bowman and there are legitimate reasons not to.

Like tallswimmer said, I think they end up with Holloway. And then NC State takes Gangloff from UNC (ouch) and so on. A handful of coaches will move unless Texas hires internally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Collegiate athletics are getting crazier and crazier with all these conference moves, NIL allowances, transfer non-regulations now. I kinda joked on twitter about all of this...so can we just fast forward to 2054 when we all go back to super regionalized conferences again....Old is new again (again).

They are going to have to get the whole pay for play figured out, and what I worry is that the student athletes wanting to be paid as employees--psst non-revenue sports can't afford that.

And at some point the fans now being boosters + having to contribute to NIL collectives (as basically player salaries) at some point the fans soon enough will say "enough is enough".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some background on coach pay:
https://swimswam.com/want-to-earn-the-big-bucks-be-a-d1-head-swim-coach/
https://swimswam.com/...ch-eddie-reese-make/

We're talking 100'000's of thousands of dollars here, not millions. No one is getting a 5x or 10x multiplier - especially for a single gender program.

I know we're playing out the domino game a bit far right now, but if I was Gangloff I would sit tight at UNC rather than going to NCState. Sure State is up right now, but from an administration and infrastructure standpoint Carolina's on better footing - plus I think UNC ends up in the Big 10 for the $$ and State is left to languish in what's left of the ACC after the Big10 raids again. (I say this as an admitted Chapel Hill native/homer, and State hater, lol).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's interesting as a current D3 coach in NC (actually moving to a D1 job May 1st, TBA soon), within the NC borders. "Politics" has nudged it's way into the collegiate spectrum and as part of the NC Board of Government- they have legislated that basically Heels/Pack will have to be a "package" deal and/or each school basically get the same. IE- UNC could go to the B10 if Pack went SEC. But UNC isn't going to the B10 and Pack stuck in ACC or moves to the B12 under the guidance of the UNC Board of Education (which both members are governed by along with what 12 other institutions in the state of NC).

I sorta think at some point, the ACC will disband especially with these new lawsuits popping up (I dont think the schools will win, I think the lawsuits are laying out the ground work for the specific buyout money and/or negotiated rate) and either they go together or they both get picked up by the big boys now (SEC for Pack, B10 for UNC).

#GoPack (NCSU grad)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 1, 24 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the BIG 12 merged in 1997 Texas Tech got the same type of protection you are referring to. Baylor got included because Anne Richards - the former Governor - said take Baylor or no one. So TCU and Houston got shafted out.

It actually makes sense for the state to protect that alliance because it’s in the state’s interest that NC St remain a top tier athletics program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, let's just fast forward to 2063 when UNC / Duke/ Wake / NC State / UVA / VT / Clemson / SC are back in the "carolinas" conference and be done with it. This whole UCLA is playing Rutgers lacrosse on a Tuesday night B10 game is just so f'ing stupid.

The main issue is sure you can branch off and go football only conferences and all rest of olympic sports are back to regional conferences. But title ix implications mean all the travel football gets, other sports get those types of trips/funding/opportunity too.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 1, 24 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I missed on this one.
https://swimswam.com/...ncaa-title-with-asu/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No kidding, it must have been a very sweet contract. And for Bowman, likely a lot of those ASU swimmers will follow him too. I think there is a new system where you can just transfer and be eligible right away?? And could be he knows Leon is done too, so figured it might be good time to make a big change, one that probably takes him to the end of his career...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does he stay in Arizona until trials/Olympics with his swimmers? Or does he move over immediately to UT and do his swimmers follow with only 2 months to US trials?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So does he stay in Arizona until trials/Olympics with his swimmers? Or does he move over immediately to UT and do his swimmers follow with only 2 months to US trials?

And will Phelps follow Bowman to Texas, or stay in AZ???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next