Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cliche in sport and corporate world is “it’s been a journey to get here” or “I’ve been on a journey”

It’s odd why don’t people say “I’ve been travelling to get here”
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
MP1664 wrote:
Similarly, “it was all God’s plan” or “I thank God for my performance today”.

Nope. God didn’t write your training plan, or put in the effort for months on end. That was down to your coach, and you. Take credit for your own actions and, conversely, responsibility when it doesn’t go right on the day.

Ya, agree 100%. Similarly, when a top pro athlete of any sport says after winning a big game/match/race,, "I just did it for the glory of God", ummm, yeah sure but that $100,000 check is pretty nice also. :)

Crazy that God never wants them to donate that $100,000. The glory of God apparently manifests as a shiny new car.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The phrase "full send" annoys me. I mean, it was just a stupid phrase that YouTube Spartan/Crossfit posers used all the time, until some dweeb infected the triathlon community with it. I haven't heard it much lately so hopefully it's been put to death.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know why but this made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Running is my therapy"

"Don't worry, you've done the work" (she had not done the work.)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [flubber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep it rolling lads.
I think the "you got this" has more legs left.
You got this:
Penalty in t2.
Penalty in t3.
Divorce papers.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [flubber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flubber wrote:
"Running is my therapy"

Not my entire routine of therapy, but it is a significant aspect to it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Yeah,every time I see somebody thanking God for helping them or their team win something I think,"what did did God have against the other guy?"

Ya this can be used in many contexts. I did 4 tours in AFG and 2 in Iraq and oftentimes when a fellow vet hears this, well we have to discuss our experiences. This one older gentleman who I know from swimming wanted to hear all about my service, so we had "the talk". It turned out that he survived a full year in Vietnam without a scratch. He said several times that "the Big Guy" was really looking out for him. I thought but did not say "Well maybe, but then what about the 58,000 killed and something like 150,000 seriously wounded??? I'm sure many if not most of those guys were just as devout as you."

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Okay finish strong”. Said to somebody walking it in at just under 15 hours. When said to me in that circumstance I just smile at the absurdity. It is well meant though so one has to smile

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Make sure you go out and enjoy yourself"... there is nothing enjoyable about a triathlon race!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Yeah,every time I see somebody thanking God for helping them or their team win something I think,"what did did God have against the other guy?"

Ya this can be used in many contexts. I did 4 tours in AFG and 2 in Iraq and oftentimes when a fellow vet hears this, well we have to discuss our experiences. This one older gentleman who I know from swimming wanted to hear all about my service, so we had "the talk". It turned out that he survived a full year in Vietnam without a scratch. He said several times that "the Big Guy" was really looking out for him. I thought but did not say "Well maybe, but then what about the 58,000 killed and something like 150,000 seriously wounded??? I'm sure many if not most of those guys were just as devout as you."

That's easily explained if you accept that God is not only omnipotent, but also a capricious twat.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
flubber wrote:
"Running is my therapy"

Not my entire routine of therapy, but it is a significant aspect to it

Agree.

And it's not just me who knows it. I've been told plenty of times, "You really should go out for a run." And she has never been wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really annoys me when during a Zwift ride people feel the need to share their hrm.

Pushing 3,5 w/kg in fasted state with a 87 hrm.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
"Make sure you go out and enjoy yourself"... there is nothing enjoyable about a triathlon race!

We're very different. It's the beginning of that quote that doesn't resonate with me.

I genuinely enjoy racing triathlon. I always have.

In recent years as my motivation to train has wavered, the surest way to rekindle a spark is to do a race. When I'm out there racing, there's a consistent feeling of "This is why I enjoy the sport!"

I don't have to "make sure" I enjoy it. That's guaranteed as soon as I wake up race morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As my sig says at the moment: "Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

That "work" can be a piece of art, a story or poem or song you're writing, a new project at your job, a new relationship, or a run or a bike or a few laps in the pool

If you're excited about it, the outcome is sure to be pretty good - even if it actually sucked by whichever metrics you use

"That was fun!!"
< looks at data >
"Oh. Well ... it was fun!!!"

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That was fun!!"
< looks at data >
"Oh. Well ... it was fun!!!"

<<deletes data>>>

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When WT riders talk about "the shape" or "the legs" or "the sensations" when fielding soft-ball interview questions about fitness levels, etc.

It's silly enough when non-English-speakers do it (this is a relatively recent trend, maybe for the past 3yrs); it's absolutely cringe when native English speakers describe body parts and fitness this way.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Mar 25, 24 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just in!

“After that (race) we have no idea what we’re doing,” Sanders said.

No idea, could be bass fishing, could be a lucrative career at Canada Post, could be another You Tube video...

as for "we" ___________________________

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with "we." The "we" - who have no idea what they're doing - would include his coach, the staff, and other support people making up Lionel's team

That being said, I use first-person plural while talking to myself all the time, e.g., "we're doing great" "we kinda sucked in that part" "let's get going"

I could be talking to me, plus my feet, my lungs, the birds nearby, the clouds, and so on

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As seen in one of the ads here: "Purpose Built"

Of course, it's "purpose built!!!" Why else would you build it, other than for a purpose? Pretty much everything is built for SOME purpose; a coffee cup, a pen, a bicycle, a freight train

Has anything ever been "accidentally built?" Probably so, but nothing comes to mind

"Well, we put this 'thing' together, but we're not quite sure what to do with it?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "blistering pace". It's so cliché that it is one the examples of use they give for "blistering" in the dictionary.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmyh49aus wrote:
I truly despise the phrase "you got this.

Ya, I agree with your despise of that phrase. If the person yelling it is your training partner, coach, or family member then they know what you have accomplished in training and what you can do on the course but no one else does so the phrase isn’t helpful from them. I did hear that phrase as I came out of T2 in my first Triathlon and it did have a huge positive effect on my race. I signed up for the race with 4-5 friends but didn’t have access to a pool or any way to swim train and didn’t have a bike I could race on so I did 100% of my 4-1/2 month train running. I borrowed a bike for the race and bought a swim suit and goggles the night before the event. Despite being in the best shape of my life the swim was brutal and coming off the bike I was not prepared for that jello leg feeling. I wanted to just walk the run leg and call it a day but I saw one of my friends I had signed up with and a guy I did track workout with through the local running club cheering as I came out of T2 and the guy from the running club yell my name and said “You got this run”. I was just struggling to keep picking my feet up so I didn’t trip over my own feet and fall flat on my face, but I knew my friend and running club buddy knew that if I had made it through the swim and bike that I should own the run. So I tried to think about what my feet normally do when I am running and despite them feeling like they were tied together with medicine bands I tried to get them to move in that motion. It was a mental struggle for 5k to keep my feet moving but I posted the 2nd fasted run split of the whole event so even though I generally don’t like that phrase any time I am struggling in a race I remember my friends standing outside T2 yelling “You got this” and I believe in myself for all the people who believe in me. I generally hair the phrase but from the right people at the right time it can really lift me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hold my beer"

NO!!!
You FINISH your beer, THEN you go ... There's no HOLD-ing

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After listening to Jan say it too many times, "poetry in motion" is a phrase I never need to hear again.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I've said before [and in honor of Poetry Month] I sometimes see myself in car windows or storefronts or the mirror in Planet Fitness and say "Poetry in Motion, baby"

Well, it may be Vogon poetry ... haiku at the very best, or maybe some beatnik free-verse word-jazz in the Charlie MacKenzie style

Still, it's Poetry

Quote Reply

Prev Next