Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I kinda feel bad for the WNBA
Quote | Reply
https://www.espn.com/...tends-5m-offer-clark

Their response to Clark getting a 5MM offer is "Caitlin Clark stands to make a half million dollars or more in WNBA earnings this coming season,"and make 3MM more that's not guaranteed.

She should take the money, the WNBA will always be there.
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WNBA players don't make much money, she should take it. Google says the highest paid WNBA player makes about 250K.

I think there was a recent NBA signing for 85 million per year. That's more than WNBA teams, probably several of them.
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She should take the money. She will probably give the WNBA a boost next year, following year, interest will be back to normal, almost non existent. It's unfortunate but most people don't care about women's professional sports.
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
WNBA players don't make much money, she should take it. Google says the highest paid WNBA player makes about 250K.

I think there was a recent NBA signing for 85 million per year. That's more than WNBA teams, probably several of them.

Yes, the highest paid player from a salary standpoint is making $242K. Three women make that. Diana Taurasi is fourth at $235K.

Besides Taurasi I doubt most of us recognize the names of the top 12 highest paid players salary wise. The more well known names like Breanna Stewart, Sabrina Ionescu, and A’ja Wilson are 13th, 16th, and 17th. I think Clark’s base salary as a rookie will be around $75K even as the obvious #1 pick.

Obviously, endorsement and overseas money is where they can make money. Clark is going to make some coin with the endorsements. I think Stewart and Ionescu make a few million a year in endorsements. Clark will likely be the highest compensated WNBA player the minute she gets drafted. She has an “it” factor that I’m not sure the WNBA has seen before.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39820825/ice-cube-big3-extends-5m-offer-clark

Their response to Clark getting a 5MM offer is "Caitlin Clark stands to make a half million dollars or more in WNBA earnings this coming season,"and make 3MM more that's not guaranteed.

Did you even read / watch the link you sent?

Its about how its not an either or offer, its only 10 saturdays, and their is 1 conflict that they could work the schedule around. WNBA players already play in Europe so doing 2 leagues is not an issue.

Quote:
Appearing on "The Pat McAfee Show" on Wednesday, Ice Cube said he thinks "it's definitely doable" in his mind for Clark to play in the Big3 and WNBA. He said it would take a 10-week commitment (on Saturdays) on Clark's part, accounting for the league's playoffs.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice T says he wants to work with the WNBA and that she can play in both leagues. If the people running the WNBA have brains they will partner with Ice T.

They probably don't have brains.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39820825/ice-cube-big3-extends-5m-offer-clark

Its about how its not an either or offer, its only 10 saturdays, and their is 1 conflict that they could work the schedule around. WNBA players already play in Europe so doing 2 leagues is not an issue.

Quote:
Appearing on "The Pat McAfee Show" on Wednesday, Ice Cube said he thinks "it's definitely doable" in his mind for Clark to play in the Big3 and WNBA. He said it would take a 10-week commitment (on Saturdays) on Clark's part, accounting for the league's playoffs.

Did you read how the CBA and/WNBA may not let her?
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Ice T says he wants to work with the WNBA and that she can play in both leagues. If the people running the WNBA have brains they will partner with Ice T.

This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

This

Or put another way... they likely won't be able to set their egos aside and work with Ice T.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

Quote:

Did you read how the CBA and/WNBA may not let her?

At which point ball is in their court to make a decision. Do you want her or not. Seems like an easy decision. Either way, they can say yes or no, so I don't see why you would feel sorry for them. Its not like this cost them any money. Would only enhance their visibility.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

This

Or put another way... they likely won't be able to set their egos aside and work with Ice T.

Ice Cube and Ice T are two different people.

Cube (left), T (right)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

This

Ice Cube and Ice T are two different people.

Cube (left), T (right)

Yup. I read Ice Cube and processed Ice T.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the section of the WNBA CBA that pertains to "Off-Season Play":

Subject to Article XIV, Section 9, a player is free to play competitive basketball for any other professional basketball league during the Off-Season, provided that: (i) the player’s Off-Season Playing Obligation does not interfere with any of her playing obligations under her Standard Player Contract (including any obligation contained in any Exhibit 8), or any of her other obligations under any WNBA or Team Marketing and Promotional Agreement or this Agreement; and (ii) the player provides prompt notice to the WNBA and/or her Team (as the case may be) in writing of her Off-Season Playing Obligation prior to the conclusion of the Regular Season that precedes the applicable Off-Season or as soon as possible thereafter. All Off-Season Playing Obligations (or summaries of such Off-Season Playing Obligations containing all material terms) must be filed with the WNBA League Office prior to the time that the player renders any services pursuant to such Off-Season Playing Obligations, provided, however, that the player may redact any financial term from such Off-Season Playing Obligations.

But the section on "Off-Season Tours and Tournaments" includes this language:

Non-WNBA Entities.

A player may not, without the consent of the WNBA, play in an all-star game, tour, or tournament sponsored or operated by an entity other than the WNBA (other than a tournament involving the player’s national team or a team for which a player is playing pursuant to an Off-Season Playing Obligation).

So...

I would assume that she can play IF it is considered a league and not an all-star game, tour, or tournament, AND it does not conflict with her WNBA season, INCLUDING that it occurs during the part of the year deemed to be "Off-Season."

I would agree that it is a league, but would it not be the case that it overlaps the WNBA season (not "Off-Season"), and therefore the WNBA will prohibit this participation?

Playing in Europe occurs in the Off-Season. I don't believe this would.
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets not forget Vanilla Ice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Wow, do you have different things you need to read to process different foods or drinks?

I am guessing reading Steven King, is just reserved for times of constipation?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: I kinda feel bad for the WNBA [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Wow, do you have different things you need to read to process different foods or drinks?

I am guessing reading Steven King, is just reserved for times of constipation?

To be fair to BLeP I can't tell the difference between these 2 critters...

Quote Reply