Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:

Made the news now:
Hambini offers his view:

Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Giant will absorb Stages similar to SRAM/Quarq. Stages may remain a brand, but not an independent company. Interesting they designed the original wahoo kickr (which which has another intestesting side story).
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If Giant comes out with a crank arm PM that looks like Stages in a very short timeline, can't imagine there won't be lawyers getting busy.

Giant already has a stick on powermeter https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...al/showcase/powerpro
In fact they've designed various powermeters, only that one has been released. Their innovation lab is very busy

The only reason I can see for them to acquire Stages IP is to prevent anyone else from having it. Which would at least be a small win as an outcome of the lawsuit.

Pretty hard to pursue anyone over a similar product when you can buy the parts from these guys and get started tomorrow. Which I think is a large part of the problem for stages - stick on PMs are commoditised.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant wants to play in the arena of indoor cycling. We will see indoor bikes similar to the Stages bike from Giant soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
Giant wants to play in the arena of indoor cycling. We will see indoor bikes similar to the Stages bike from Giant soon.
Giant manufacturers the SB20 for Stages. All they need is the IP to actually sell it under the Giant name.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

The only reason I can see for them to acquire Stages IP is to prevent anyone else from having it. Which would at least be a small win as an outcome of the lawsuit.

Pretty hard to pursue anyone over a similar product when you can buy the parts from these guys and get started tomorrow. Which I think is a large part of the problem for stages - stick on PMs are commoditised.

According to gplama, Stages is the only company to have solved the Shimano right-side problem for PMs glued to the right crank arm.

That's maybe worth quite a bit. I don't know if gplama is correct...but he's pretty credible.

It's very easy to buy a few parts and get a prototype going. Making an actual product that works reliably and accurately in mass production is an entirely different thing. Temperature compensation. Handling a huge variety of material properties out there in crank arms. Auto-calibration. DFM so that the rate of warranty repairs/replacments or any service contact is driven to very small %s so your labor costs are small over the lifecycle of a product. This is all unsexy but extremely important engineering. In my experience as an engineer, the cool fully-functional prototype you can show at Sea Otter or put up on GoFundMe is about the first 1% of engineering hours. Then the work starts.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

According to gplama, Stages is the only company to have solved the Shimano right-side problem for PMs glued to the right crank arm.

That's maybe worth quite a bit. I don't know if gplama is correct...but he's pretty credible.

It's very easy to buy a few parts and get a prototype going. Making an actual product that works reliably and accurately in mass production is an entirely different thing. Temperature compensation. Handling a huge variety of material properties out there in crank arms. Auto-calibration. DFM so that the rate of warranty repairs/replacments or any service contact is driven to very small %s so your labor costs are small over the lifecycle of a product. This is all unsexy but extremely important engineering. In my experience as an engineer, the cool fully-functional prototype you can show at Sea Otter or put up on GoFundMe is about the first 1% of engineering hours. Then the work starts.

^^^^This. The first 95% of the solution is easy. The last 5% can kill you. If they have a viable, low cost solution that's worth something to Giant (who will always want to compete on price).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Cycling - Something is up.. (no stock) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could also be worth it if Stages has patents.
Quote Reply

Prev Next