Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Lake Placid - Last year
Quote | Reply
Hello

can anyone confirm that this is Ironman Lake Placid last year and the town has not signed up for the future?
I heard they don't really like it in the town

This is an iconic race and one i always wanted to do

If it does go i hope they find a good replacement int he North East US

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - Last year [jonnyboy123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the last year of the current agreement between the town and IRONMAN. They are, from what I understand, in negotiations for years beyond 2024.

The town, per se, isn't the issue. There has been a fair amount of vocal opposition to the race, or to what IM's contract gives to the town, over the last few years. But some of that has also been a result of some relatively appalling behavior out of our fellow athletes in town (namely, urinating/defecating on private property despite there being port-o-johns out on the roads during training periods; not obeying New York cycling laws; littering; generally not being a good visitor to the area).

It was my understanding that IM had at least had initial discussions about moving to Lake George in the event the relationship in LP deteriorated to the point of no return. That'd be my first guess as to a "replacement" if it ever came to that. (No, the full is not coming back to Tremblant. It'll be in the States.)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - Last year [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok i can see why they are unhappy, i thought peeing out of a toilet was a penalty offense in a race

Lake George would be cool, it is easier to get to from NYC, but not so many hotels and the hills are not so big
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - Last year [jonnyboy123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not during the race that it's the problem. It's the weeks upon weeks of training camps / people just up in the area riding and running where it's the issue.

The race is just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok that makes sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not during the race that it's the problem. It's the weeks upon weeks of training camps / people just up in the area riding and running where it's the issue.

An emphatic YES to this!

I know going back maybe 10 years ago it was out-of-control in Lake Placid on those really BIG weekends for the Training Camps and many other individuals heading there train on the course.

While LP is kind of in the middle of nowhere in the Adirondacks - it's within a relatively short 5 - 6 hour drive a number of the largest metro areas in the U.S. and Canada!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply