Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice...

New Zoot Kona 2.0 for 280 US
Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 (good condition apparently) for 130 US

I am 6'2" and 165 lb so would probably get the Kona in MT, whereas the Prophet is size M.

For a bit of context (in case it is relevant):

- I have never swum in a wetsuit in my life.

- Did my first Olympic triathlon this past September. It was not wetsuit legal (Montreal) and swam around 27 min (total time was 2:10). Definitely hoping to improve my swim this year and am planning to do 3 Olympics and a 70.3.

Any thoughts on which you would recommend? Is the tech a lot better in the newer suit? Is the possibly slightly more accurate sizing important?
Or should I be considering a different option altogether?

Any advice appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [djwilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every wetsuit is constructed differently, sized a bit different etc.
What I would recommend is borrowing several different suits from your friends, going to a shop that carries 2-3 brands and trying on different suits.
There is nothing inherently wrong with those suits just as there is nothing inherently correct about those suits that makes them better/worse than other brands.

Buy the suit that fits you and your swimming style the best

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian - thanks for your feedback.

The issue is that I don't have friends who do triathlon who are the same dimensions as me, and the closest store that sells Zoot wetsuits is a 3 hour drive away...so it seems like I am going to have to make this decision a bit blind...
Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [djwilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Prophet 2.0 at this point is 3 design iterations old. The newest top of the line Zoot suit is the Wiki Wiki 3.0. So the Kona 2.0 is going to be almost identical in design to the Wiki but with just different quality Yamamoto rubber. The Prophet was a great suit 4 years ago but the newer suits are superior and I would suggest going with the Kona 2.0. You are tall and thin I would say the Medium/Tall would be your size. I'm 5'10", 160 and I get their Small/Tall which fits great.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not love the Prophet suits. The cut just didn't suit me. I don't think Zoot ever really got the Prophet right. I think it was a good suit, but not a great suit.

I never swam in the Kona, BUT that was the same cut as the Zoot suits that I loved. Looking purely at the patterns - and with a lot of history to help understand how patterns correlate to fit, I'd unquestionably choose the Kona.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a PS to the above, I'd actually say that WikiWiki and the Kona are quite different. The pattern change is meaningful:

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
As a PS to the above, I'd actually say that WikiWiki and the Kona are quite different. The pattern change is meaningful:

Yeah your right, the Kona 2.0 probably shares more in common with the previous Wiki design.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: First Wetsuit: New Zoot Kona 2.0 vs Used Zoot Prophet 2.0 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all - this is really helpful.

I am leaning toward spending the extra money for the Kona model though I am a bit disappointed that it is not actually the same design as their top of the line model - just with cheaper materials…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djwilson wrote:

I am leaning toward spending the extra money for the Kona model though I am a bit disappointed that it is not actually the same design as their top of the line model - just with cheaper materials…

I'll message you a 30% of one time use discount code you can use to buy the Kona. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djwilson wrote:

Don't actually be disappointed by this. Certain features only work with extremely thin rubber. I.e., the WikiWiki has extremely thin sleeves. Translating that pattern 1:1 to thicker rubber would result in a poor fitting suit.

The Zoot Conduit - which is what I ended up choosing over the Prophet - is a case in point. It's much closer to the Kona pattern than the WikiWiki pattern, which is why I think you'll like it. This pattern is also used by the bolt, and it's very close. It's got the "inverted Y" design, which I think is just a fundamentally good design - narrow thick panel under the chest that "Y"s around the hips. And then the ribbed - which is a classic going back to Dan & QR - rubber to provide stretch.

I am still skeptical of the superthin sleeved suits. I prefer a more traditional wetsuit. Superthin sleeves have always - to me - felt like a compromise around pattern making. Great suits should not need super think sleeves. And there's an argument you don't even want them. Those super thin sleeves are way less buoyant and have less surface area.

The Kona is a classic pattern. I'd be confident in it. You would not want, IMO, the Wiki pattern with thick rubber.

Quote Reply