Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At what age should you stop doing Half IMs?
Quote | Reply
I'm nearly 40 and have been doing Tris for just over a decade. I hope to be doing them as long as I can (Olympics and Sprints included) and ideally do a Half IM distance race every other year until maybe around 60 (assuming my body is okay with that). Note I have already done 3 Half IMs and 2 full, so I know I like the half distance. In my mind I could swim and bike without much issue even beyond 60, but the run I personally think is a bad idea to continue at those further distances (which is just my personal opinion).

So my questions for this elite group are the following:
-At what age did you no longer feel good doing a Half IM and why?
-Any suggestions for keeping your legs in good condition to continue running as you get older (beyond stretching or compression boots)?
-Is there factual evidence of an age where running far distances (13+ miles) is detrimental?

TIA!

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age should you stop doing Half IMs? [WatchJoeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going onto 59 this year and hoping to do halfs till at least 2025 (if I don't die I will be 60). I think I would have been just fine running had I had not had some major accidents, but that's life. Everyone has either a bunch of minor things that add up or major things, which is why the field gets slower and there is attrition. I have been racing since 1985. I still enjoy the social atmosphere at races and the training. The actual times, I care less about. For context I did my last full Ironman at 49 years and 11 months. I never did a full in my 50s on account of the accidents that followed. But managed to squeek our several half IMs after I got back into tris at 54 (missed 51, 52, 53) and then missed 55 and most of 56 due to C19 lockdowns. In total I did 10 half IM's in my 50's (and I am actually registered for four in 2024 due to deferrals....not sure which ones I will do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have "good genes", but you can do an Ironman in your 50's and 60's. My first Ironman was at age 40 and now it's 25 years later, I'm 65 and still doing Ironman's. I've done a total of 35 Ironmans along with several 100 Mile Ultras, 50 Mile Ultras, Marathons, Half Ironmans and then shorter distances. My fastest time in Lake Placid was 11+ hours. The biggest hurdle is being able to swallow your pride and "get er done" to cross the finish line in 15+ hours. They should rename hours 15 and 16 in an Ironman to the Medicare Athletes (smirk). This year I'm doing a half IM (OnondagaMan) in June (was previously called the Syracuse 70.3) and then Ironman Lake Placid in July.

My plan is to keep going until my body will not get across the finish line in under 17 hours. I do not want to say "at this age", I'm done. Age is just a number and may not be reflective of your passion, energy, commitment and will power. I'll be done with Ironmans when the ole body tells me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At your next half check the entry roster to see how participants are over 60, youā€™ll be surprised. Thereā€™s a common misconception that running ruins your knees, that has been shown to be false (running actually has been shown to be beneficial to your knees as you age). However, injuries due to running, that are not allowed to heal properly, do cause problems like osteoarthritis. The age to stop doing triathlons in general is when itā€™s no longer fun. The key to health in your ā€˜old ageā€™, is the same as it is now; consistency in training, rest, recovery, good nutrition, stress reduction, and avoiding injury and burnout. Add in strength training, get enough protein, and maintain your flexibility. There are things you canā€™t control like some health aspects (heart, cancer, etc.), but barring something that serious, 95 would be the age Iā€™d start thinking about cutting back.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age should you stop doing Half IMs? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never hopefully! Though Iā€™ll say Iā€™m already having issues staying healthy in running at 35, and at some point the hassle may not be worth the reward. Swimming and biking would be enough long term for me.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WatchJoeTri wrote:
-Is there factual evidence of an age where running far distances (13+ miles) is detrimental?

No

If you can run 13+ miles, without wrecking yourself, keep doing it

Or don't

It's up to you; not some "study"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my sponsored athletes was winning her age group at the Ironman in Kona until she was 80.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Feb 25, 24 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
At your next half check the entry roster to see how participants are over 60, youā€™ll be surprised. Thereā€™s a common misconception that running ruins your knees, that has been shown to be false (running actually has been shown to be beneficial to your knees as you age). However, injuries due to running, that are not allowed to heal properly, do cause problems like osteoarthritis. The age to stop doing triathlons in general is when itā€™s no longer fun. The key to health in your ā€˜old ageā€™, is the same as it is now; consistency in training, rest, recovery, good nutrition, stress reduction, and avoiding injury and burnout. Add in strength training, get enough protein, and maintain your flexibility. There are things you canā€™t control like some health aspects (heart, cancer, etc.), but barring something that serious, 95 would be the age Iā€™d start thinking about cutting back.

I agree. And Iā€™ll add that people really need to learn how to run! And do barefoot runs often to make sure they are running that way with shoes. Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€ and 41 and I have to think about my form constantly. I couldnā€™t run in college due to terrible running form and shin splints. Learning proper form to initiate forward lean and high cadence was a game changer. I definitely think shorter runners have it easier but I have zero plans on stopping. Consistency should definitely keep your knees feeling good well into old age no matter the amount of cartilage present.

Perfect example is Ultra Running. Most of those guys donā€™t even start to run until their 50ā€™s. Power and speed fades but endurance just keeps going! I think we would have died off long ago if it not for our ability to run great distances.

And footwear has improved drastically. We shouldnā€™t rely on it to allow for bad running form but after a 20 mile training run in Hokaā€™s I feel great the day after. Pretty cool. And yes I know Hokaā€™s have kind of fallen behind in development but I still rely on the Bondiā€™s for most of my base miles.

I say, do what feels right and what you enjoy. Worst case, knee replacements are very good these days and there is always the old man shuffle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? As others have said, as long as it's fun, continue on. I remember talking with Norton Davie in Kona my first time and as an 80 year old, he felt triathlon was the "fountain of youth". I'm 73 soon and still compete in 1/2s and fulls (42 years in tri). I feel the 70.3 is our best distance as 80% effort is so much nicer than 90+ for me. That said, if you've even thought about quitting then the love is gone. I'm one who wishes I had many more years to continue on as the sport is so awesome..

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WatchJoeTri wrote:
I'm nearly 40 and have been doing Tris for just over a decade. I hope to be doing them as long as I can (Olympics and Sprints included) and ideally do a Half IM distance race every other year until maybe around 60 (assuming my body is okay with that). Note I have already done 3 Half IMs and 2 full, so I know I like the half distance. In my mind I could swim and bike without much issue even beyond 60, but the run I personally think is a bad idea to continue at those further distances (which is just my personal opinion).

So my questions for this elite group are the following:
-Any suggestions for keeping your legs in good condition to continue running as you get older (beyond stretching or compression boots)?

TIA!

I think this quest is a little pre-mature for someone in their 30's. You haven't even got your old man strength yet. I was taught in my health classes growing up that men hit their peak strength between around 28-32 years old and my coaches told me that runners peak between 23-26 years old. So, as I passed over the 26-years-old threshold and hasn't seen any PR's for a long time I thought my running days were done. I wasn't though. When I passed through 28-32 I expected to slow down, but I didn't. In my 40's I started to set life time PR's again. In my 20's I set a half marathon PR and Marathon PR of 1hr 22mins and 3hr 14 mins respectively. Through my 30's I didn't think I would every break those PR's again, but in my 40's I improved my half marathon PR to 1 hr 17mins and my Marathon PR to 2hr 54 mins. Endurance sports are not the same same as the short distance stuff. You are at lower intensities so you can keep doing those activities even when you can't do the shorter distance stuff as you used to do. With multisport training the stress is even lower because you are not not running every day so you get more recovery time. Some may slow down in their 50's some in their 60's, etc. I have seen people in their 70's and even a few in their 80's at races. So, hold off on asking when you will be done with the sport. It it a little different for everyone, but for me, I am getting close to 50 and haven't slowed down any yet. When I do slow down I will adjust my goals, but keep going. If I still any feeling good and enjoying the sport I might be one of those 70 to 80+ year old guys at races in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what age should you stop?
Well at 71 I did Kona (and two other IMs), plus a Half, two Olympics and Mt Everest Base camp, all in the same 12 months. A friend won Nice and will do Kona this year at 76. And last but not least at least 3 guys were faster than me in the next AG up in Kona. Although I admit I may be done with IM, but not HIM or HM

So you've got a little life in you yet I would imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 68 and have been training since I was 10 when I started competitive swimming. When I turned 20 I became a competitive long distance runner and at 45 started racing triathlons. I would say the key is to enjoy and learn from the process and do not over train. The social aspects of group runs/rides canā€™t be emphasized enough and also learning your own physical/genetic characteristics.

Life and family tend to move up the priority list in your 30/40/50s but maintaining an active lifestyle is important to your mental outlook and makes it easier to keep going past 60.

I am currently dealing with some genetic health issues but once resolved I have a date to run grandmaā€™s marathon with my longtime training partner when he turns 75 in 2026 and who has run every grandmas and twin cities marathons dating back to the early 80s.

Thought I have done IMs, I just donā€™t want to spend the time training for them so now do 70.3s down to sprint distance.

I tell my grandkids I am not old enough to play pickle ball yet:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m 57 and last year did two halfā€™s and a full. While I think that was probably the last full (famous last words) and Iā€™m doing events other than tris this year my plan is to continue with a half every year or so. Itā€™s a good distance and challenge even for those of us not sniffing the podium.

I didnā€™t start running until my late 30s and did first half marathon at 39 so perhaps donā€™t have the institutional wear and tear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what age should you stop doing Half IMs?
>>> Your body will let you know before your mind.

>>> Have yet to reach that age. Started tris at age 26 and still going at age 65. (get ready for the back-door brag...) Did three IM 70.3s in 12 days in 2023, 3 in 15 days in 2022 & 2019, and 2 in 6 days in 2021.

>>> Keep in base shape, peak for races, and weekly mileage is less than what you think which requires no more than 2x your race distance. No need to run daily (3-4 days sufficient). Ellipticals and zero gravity equipment can complement your road runs through-out the year.

>>> Sure. Testimonials are factual as are published findings of athletes and non-athletes and their physical and mental ills and wellnesses. Youā€™ll see a wide spread of peopleā€™s range for over/under/and doing the right amount of anything. The tough thing is finding your sweet spot. Hence, the answer to the first question, your body will let you know before your mind.

Best advice is to talk to any of the podium-winners at your running and tri-races (males & females) who are older than you to help you make those determinations.

Triing: A Journey of discovery, challenges, and camaraderie while racing in 50 States and the continents beyond.: Morris, Doug: 9798848193657: Amazon.com: Books

Full disclosure, I'm the author.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother did her first triathlon at 58, following three years of running marathons. She raced triathlon up to the half ironman distance, before retiring from tris, cycling and marathon running in her early 70s, following hip replacement surgery.

Significantly, all three of her comparatively sedentary sisters also had hip replacements, but at similar or younger ages than my mother.

She remained strong, fit, mobile and independent up to her passing at 92. Ever seen a 90-year-old nonchalantly chatting while she balances on one leg to put to sock on her opposite foot? Or swim 50 metre butterfly reps in the middle of her swim set? That was my mum.

Meanwhile, I'm training for IM in a few months' time. I'm only looking to finish, in what will be my ninth different age group at IM.

If it's what you enjoy, keep going. Don't grow old before you need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say this is very much an individual question, that health and on going interest would be the primary factors.

I looked up the 2023 HIM men's World Champs results and there were 48 in the 70-74 age group, 18 in 75-79, and 4 in 80-84. Based on this I'd say you could continue to compete at least until 84.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing I ever did was stop playing football (football, not that thing in the USA where juiced-to-the-hilt men in over-padded romper suits drag out a game with an kids-size rugby ball for 4 hours) when I was about 30. My knees have thanked me in the subsequent 3 decades.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age should you stop doing Half IMs? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Best thing I ever did was stop playing football (football, not that thing in the USA where juiced-to-the-hilt men in over-padded romper suits drag out a game with an kids-size rugby ball for 4 hours) when I was about 30. My knees have thanked me in the subsequent 3 decades.

you mean soccer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my fastest Half's at 47 years old
I think I did my last one at 52 but stopped only because of Covid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

^^^This^^^

Never stop (unless you're in my age category then by all means stop immediately)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"almost 40"? Bahahaha!

I didn't even do my first triathlon until I was 60 and it was a 70.3. This was after a way-too-long period of not doing much "training" after college.

I prefer the Oly because I still work and do really have the time for 12-14 hours a week for training in the final build up phase.

While others say "age is just a number." There is no doubt that time is more than just a number and in the end, we all run out of it. But there are things, like training and racing, you can do to physically enjoy yourself until the bell tolls.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad's now 70 and he's won AG 70.3 World Championship multiple times.. so I think he can still do them šŸ¤·šŸ¼

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know when I will stop, but I do know that it gets much harder with every passing year. Many will be much older and better than me, but at 58, I am slowing down rapidly, recovering more slowly, have less strength and flexibility and am unable to do the same volumes or distances that were routine just a few years ago. And I've had a cold for 2 weeks that I just cannot shake off.

Common complaints I'm sure - just have to keep going as well as I can I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age should you stop doing Half IMs? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

If you think your knees thanked you when you stopped playing football, they would really thank you if you had stopped playing football.
Last edited by: Mudge: Feb 29, 24 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop when it no longer feels healthy and fun. I'm 66 and probably done with full IMs, but I'm planning to do 2 halfs again this year. I assumed that my knees would have stopped me by now, but my joints feel great. Looks like it will be arthritis in my cervical spine that will stop me from TT biking and swimming, and then I'll switch to gravel bike racing or duathlons on a road bike. Be consistent with your training and listen to your body.
Quote Reply