Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb?
Quote | Reply
Useful tool? Thinking about opting for one, but seems, unless a paid athlete is doing a commercial for Climb no one is using the climb?
Recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a total game changer for me, makes a world of difference in inside riding. Can't recommend highly enough.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one and don’t do Zwift any longer, it just holds my fork now at zero incline. I do like it better than if there was a wheel on a block in there, more stable.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at full price.

I still have mine and a Kickr, but ride the Kickr bike mostly.

I’d grab a used one off FB Market and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have kickr bike that does the same tilting.
as fredly said - for me this has been a great asset to very the sitting position. I don't know how that compares to the variety one gets from a rocker plate but this makes a longer ride much easier on my back and crotch.
I use it for Fulgaz videos - I don't know how that compares to zwift (what? who doesn't know zwift??) but my favorite rides keep me engaged with lots of grade changes both for the shifting and the position changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Useful tool? Thinking about opting for one, but seems, unless a paid athlete is doing a commercial for Climb no one is using the climb? Recommend?

without reservation. KICKR CLIMB or KICKR Bike. Incline is a major ride enhancer if you ride to a game that features changes in topography. the biggest (but not only) benefit is the ability to ride balanced out of the saddle on a "climb." it makes the game more analogous to outdoor riding and it prepares me better for riding outdoors. to me, side-to-side movement is a smaller thing. KICKR axis action feet or something similar is fine. up/down is a much more impactful feature.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Useful tool? Thinking about opting for one, but seems, unless a paid athlete is doing a commercial for Climb no one is using the climb? Recommend?

without reservation. KICKR CLIMB or KICKR Bike. Incline is a major ride enhancer if you ride to a game that features changes in topography. the biggest (but not only) benefit is the ability to ride balanced out of the saddle on a "climb." it makes the game more analogous to outdoor riding and it prepares me better for riding outdoors. to me, side-to-side movement is a smaller thing. KICKR axis action feet or something similar is fine. up/down is a much more impactful feature.

I had a kickr bike and for a number of reasons I sold it. The incline feature was doing uphill, but downhill it sucked. The reason is when you ride downhill, you have 200W of wind power pushing you back into your downhill pointed saddle (assuming you are riding say at 220W subtracting rolling resistance)...the rest is air pushing you backwards into the saddle. Riding extended downhill legs on the Kickr bike and I would feel extensive weight on shoulders/aeropads as there is no air holding one back on saddle.

It's probably also why when we ride level outdoors the position feels better than riding level indoors on the trainer (assume same bike same position)....no wind retarding force on the body on trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thatzone wrote:

I had a kickr bike and for a number of reasons I sold it. The incline feature was doing uphill, but downhill it sucked. The reason is when you ride downhill, you have 200W of wind power pushing you back into your downhill pointed saddle (assuming you are riding say at 220W subtracting rolling resistance)...the rest is air pushing you backwards into the saddle. Riding extended downhill legs on the Kickr bike and I would feel extensive weight on shoulders/aeropads as there is no air holding one back on saddle.

It's probably also why when we ride level outdoors the position feels better than riding level indoors on the trainer (assume same bike same position)....no wind retarding force on the body on trainer.

i don't care about decline on the kickr bike (or climb). it didn't bother me. you don't spend that much time riding more than a 2% downhill in zwift. the climb has a flatter max descent (bike is 15%, climb is 10%). i can do without either. the uphill waaaay more than makes up for the annoyance of the descent (for me). and, truth be told, i just don't notice the descent much on the climb.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be trivial for Wahoo to make it so that you could "opt out" of descents. Zwift couldn't do this, because the incline is sent to the CLMB via the KICKR, so there's no way to "truncate it." It's probably only going to be annoying if you're descending the Alpe. I used to ride the CLMB at the office. Kept meaning to buy one but never did. This post made me rethink that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thatzone wrote:

i don't care about decline on the kickr bike (or climb). it didn't bother me. you don't spend that much time riding more than a 2% downhill in zwift. the climb has a flatter max descent (bike is 15%, climb is 10%). i can do without either. the uphill waaaay more than makes up for the annoyance of the descent (for me). and, truth be told, i just don't notice the descent much on the climb.

I have a hilly 42km local course that I do in real life that has 600m of climbing and descending (it is a loop). I also do that course online A lot of the climbing is 4-8% and so are the descents. With half the ride on downhills, at one point, I would just stop pedaling and sit up (in real life, I get into a tuck on all the 8% descents) . One of the descents is long enough that I would just get off the Kickr bike and watch it ride downhill by itself while I stood around and got a drink and then would get back on !!!!

I would prefer the option that on downhills that it just went down to level, not negative. Ideally it would be an easy option from whatever app (Zwift, Fulgaz, Rouvy etc) to set on your bike configuration from your profile.

In any case, I sold my Kickr bike because the fixed nature of the saddle vs handlebars system and with no wiggle room it was creating problems for my back injury given my body assymmetries. Putting a real bike on a Kickr with a headset and a front wheel and front tire at low pressure and some flex in the support pads for side to side, there is a bit more of wiggle room of the upper body vs pelvis and my psoas and lumbar area are thankful. I did not realize that the Kickr bike was causing me so much back pain, but it all cleared up once I got off it (actually I think I came to that realization when I had a two week period the summer after I got it that I did zero Kickr bike riding and only outdoors and my back niggles kinds of cleared up)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - Still using the kickr core and love it - great with TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious to hear from those using it with a TT bike. My indoor rides are on the TT bike only and wonder if Climb suits it well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could have bought the climb, the Kickr and a nice fan & table...but invested it in good cycling clothes for the winter & ride mostly outside if dry. Cheap Performance $99 mag or fluid trainer on super cold or slippery road days. Rode today in super high winds (nearly got off the bike it was close to blowing me over into the ditch with crosswinds). Would rather ride outside in the cold/wind than a trainer...no Kick Climb--I use real climbs. Suggest getting good clothes if you can...head outside. Unless for convenience sake you prefer indoors...I do not. No Zwift, no Rouvy, no Trainer Road--don't subscribe to any of them. Saves me $ too.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [techrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
techrunner wrote:
Yup - Still using the kickr core and love it - great with TrainerRoad.

Wouldn't it be useless with Trainer road? It would remain fixed?

Or are you assuming any increase in resistance is a hill so manually raise the climb?
Last edited by: lastlap: Feb 25, 24 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR controls the Kickr and the Climb if you set it to auto. As such, if you exceed 80% it rises and continues with I think about each 5% from there. When doing sprint intervals it rapidly rises where you have to hold on.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [techrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still use it. I’d rather sweat all over it than my wheels. I’ve been doing virtual rides less and less, Fulgaz probably being my favorite, but even in ERG modes it’s always nice to change incline to move the saddle pressure around on long rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had one for a few years and would replace if it broke. I credit it + rocker plate (yes, you can combine) with making long indoor rides a lot more comfortable / less fatiguing. I use it with either road bike or TT bike (someone asked about this in thread) - all good.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [Chowders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chowders wrote:
I’ve had one for a few years and would replace if it broke. I credit it + rocker plate (yes, you can combine) with making long indoor rides a lot more comfortable / less fatiguing. I use it with either road bike or TT bike (someone asked about this in thread) - all good.

Why not just ride outdoor?
Quote Reply
Re: 6 yrs later are you still using Kickr Climb? [AndyLangdon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyLangdon wrote:
Chowders wrote:

Why not just ride outdoor?

Well some places have this thing called winter, and some people are of the opinion that it’s less fun to ride when the temps are in to 20s/30s F than it is to ride indoors.

But helpful point made, no one had probably thought of that alternative.