Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!! What dates do I reserve?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

I'm working that out now. Will email you

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I suspect the peak posting period on ST was around the peak participation period in triathlon. My guess is the current posts on ST track participation in the sport and I suspect they track the white male 45-65 AG's most closely. Us dudes are aging out/forced out by injury/moved on to other endurance activities such as gravel or just gotten more social focused and less performance focused. We've gone from training to staying in shape.

Yes I'm male 62 so fit in that AG window. Got a bit unmotivated during Covid, not only because of that but also because of the meandering Kona Politics of IM.

Before Covid, I was very into triathlon and Kona, either competing myself or staying awake at Kona night (I'm from Europe). Didn't stay up in October last year and don't know if I will this year.
As to PTO-races, I'm not interested in them.

I race IM Austria this year, more out of ordinairiness than out of shear enthousiasm.

Coming to the P5, I still got the P5-3 rimbrake, no rational reason to exchange that as long as it functions.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

Coming to the P5, I still got the P5-3 rimbrake, no rational reason to exchange that as long as it functions.

With a few minor tweaks you can make a P5-3 faster than a stock P5-6

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Listening......

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
. Almost a week after the EC article and the thread opening, there's been less than 10 comments on what I think would be described as one of the highest profile bikes in the sport (of triathlon). And most of those are fairly 'meh'.

It's not exactly exciting - some pics showing mild revisions are hardly enough to get worked up about.
And the implication with the bars could be:
- no more vision sponsorship
- changed riser dimensions so old custom bars don't work
- new design in the works that they don't want to show yet

Two of those are dull, the third could be interesting but there is zero to go on. And Cervelo doesn't have a great history of bar design

There just isn't exciting new tech visible. Now, if they had a Driven system, then I'd be disappointed at the lack of interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
. Almost a week after the EC article and the thread opening, there's been less than 10 comments on what I think would be described as one of the highest profile bikes in the sport (of triathlon). And most of those are fairly 'meh'.

It's not exactly exciting - some pics showing mild revisions are hardly enough to get worked up about.

Two of those are dull, the third could be interesting but there is zero to go on. And Cervelo doesn't have a great history of bar design

There just isn't exciting new tech visible. Now, if they had a Driven system, then I'd be disappointed at the lack of interest.

Vision is still a sponsor. Someone chimed in on the EC thread saying the riser had changed. This looks like a design iteration much like the S5 "redesign". Refined but not a wholly new bike.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
This thread has kinda worried me about the state of triathlon at the moment. Almost a week after the EC article and the thread opening, there's been less than 10 comments on what I think would be described as one of the highest profile bikes in the sport (of triathlon). And most of those are fairly 'meh'.

Compare/contrast to the past where the rumour there may be a launch of a bike in 6 months gets 150 posts a day with what we want, what we don't want, why it's too expensive (before we see the price), etc.

I'll go a little wider and comment that the above thought isn't isolated to this one issue, it's also related to the way that Torhans shuttered up last month without a single mention on here. My inbox is being bombarded with sales from tri-related companies with what even I as a consumer can see to be unsustainable discounts. Sure, sometimes at this time of year there's some jostling for position to be in people's minds as they get their kit shopping done for Norhtern Hemisphere Spring, but my feel this year it's people needing some $ in to keep the lights on.

Am I just overthinking this, or is anyone else seeing/thinking similar? Perish the thought that we have finally reached the point of maturity where we just spend more time actually training and racing than creating spreadsheets to optimise the next purchase we *need* in order to secure our 86th place.

(And no, this clearly isn't my audition for one of the much coveted front page writers spots).

This place is extremely quiet these days. So much so I basically can keep up just logging in every couple of weeks or so. That said there's a pretty robust conversation about tires happening right now. Also, the p5 is more a World Tour TT bike that lacks most of the bits and bobs that triathletes want these days.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

The question is, with just minor revisions, how much is this going to cost ?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Vision is still a sponsor. Someone chimed in on the EC thread saying the riser had changed. This looks like a design iteration much like the S5 "redesign". Refined but not a wholly new bike.

Looking at the changes to the frame I would speculate that most of the revisions are to accommodate a wider tire and rim. The old P5D was designed when a 23mm tire would be all you would run on the front. The Reserve wheels have a 23mm internal width, so even a 25 is going to be much wider and as tall or taller.

Vingegaard was visibly faster in the corners at last year’s Tour TT. Maybe the new design goals are putting more of an emphasis on tire contact patch, Crr, and weight, so while it might have few if any aero gains, the package is faster on the more technical TTs in modern grand tours.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Looking at the changes to the frame I would speculate that most of the revisions are to accommodate a wider tire and rim. The old P5D was designed when a 23mm tire would be all you would run on the front. The Reserve wheels have a 23mm internal width, so even a 25 is going to be much wider and as tall or taller.

Vingegaard was visibly faster in the corners at last year’s Tour TT. Maybe the new design goals are putting more of an emphasis on tire contact patch, Crr, and weight, so while it might have few if any aero gains, the package is faster on the more technical TTs in modern grand tours.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
desert dude wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Listening......

What I always understood is that the only difference of the framesets is the fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian,
Do you have an idea how the p series and p5 compare in aero capabilities? I have always wondered. I feel would be a good setup with an alpha one for a good price.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Hey Brian,
Do you have an idea how the p series and p5 compare in aero capabilities? I have always wondered. I feel would be a good setup with an alpha one for a good price.

I don't. I would guess around 95% of the benefit. I've consulted with a few budget constrained pros over the last 2 years and recommended the P series, as well as some other bikes, to them vs what they were on.

The person to ask would be David as I think he knows. Cyclenutnz what do you think?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

The person to ask would be David as I think he knows. Cyclenutnz what do you think?

I still don't have data on this. Would really like to. As you know - organising tunnel trips is no small undertaking.
My thinking is based on what Damon said about the P3 difference from P5.
And then the minimal differences in shaping between P5D and P-Series
Plus the advantage the HSF Aeria has shown on other bikes.

I'm far more a fan of bikes that give versatility in bar setup and hydration placement. P5D is lacking on that front.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
desert dude wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Listening......

This is ~10 year old news. Nothing groundbreaking here. Years ago, I built up 2 different Post-2014 P2/3 models that I have no doubt would have tested faster than a stock P5. There was a how to build a “P3-6” thread on here years ago.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 24, 24 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the new P5 is about to hit the stores [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

I still don't have data on this. Would really like to. As you know - organising tunnel trips is no small undertaking.
My thinking is based on what Damon said about the P3 difference from P5.
And then the minimal differences in shaping between P5D and P-Series
Plus the advantage the HSF Aeria has shown on other bikes.

I'm far more a fan of bikes that give versatility in bar setup and hydration placement. P5D is lacking on that front.

Do either of you guys know how the P series would compare to a rim brake Speed Concept, or the new disc brake concept?

I like the price point of the p-series, but it looks vanilla. I'm leaning towards replacing my rim brake SC and wonder what I would lose in "speed". *Obviously, I know it is more me and my position, but curious what you both think.
Quote Reply

Prev Next