Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tires on a Cervelo P3
Quote | Reply
I have an antique 2013 Cervelo P3 that is my "race bike". Ole Bessy and I have traveled a few roads on Continental Tires - 700x23 and now 700x25's. I've searched high and low to find the Cervelo P3 frameset tire width max, but the Cervelo web page goes to 404 Not Available. I have a set of Rolf ARES4 Wheels that support tubeless and clincher - Currently using 700x25 Clincher tires. Has anybody put 700x28 tires on a Cervelo P3?

By the naked eye, my front wheel has ample space but the rear wheel is very close and will probably rub the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires on a Cervelo P3 [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you answered your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
I have an antique 2013 Cervelo P3 that is my "race bike". Ole Bessy and I have traveled a few roads on Continental Tires - 700x23 and now 700x25's. I've searched high and low to find the Cervelo P3 frameset tire width max, but the Cervelo web page goes to 404 Not Available. I have a set of Rolf ARES4 Wheels that support tubeless and clincher - Currently using 700x25 Clincher tires. Has anybody put 700x28 tires on a Cervelo P3?

By the naked eye, my front wheel has ample space but the rear wheel is very close and will probably rub the frame.

I think it's the same frame as 2015 P2...dimension wise, and the 28 was just too close to take out on the road for me. 25s with 21mm internal HED Jet is pretty wide and very doable.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:

In my experience it heavily depends on how much your rear wheel flexes. You can always back the dropout screws out, but the side of the tires can rub the stays while climbing, turning, or sprinting if the tires are too big. I stick with 25's on the back with most rim brake wheels. 23's for some.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a "2013 Cervelo P3" is the "Fabian Cancellara" style frame (CSC Team years), then 28mm's are never going to fit
Quote Reply
Re: Tires on a Cervelo P3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a particular reason you want to put 28mm tire? 25mm is already pretty fast and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires on a Cervelo P3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After trial and error, I can confirm that 28mm tires will fit on a 2013 P3 Cervelo.

I bought new Continental 28-32MM tubes and a Continental Grand Prix 5000 Tires. The front tire was easy to install, with no changes required. For the rear, I had to "back out" the droupout screws and Voila, it fits with no rubbing on the frame. For reference, my wheelset is Rolf.

The next challenge will be to ride the bike on hills/mountains to see if the wheel/tire clearance is enough to cover the flex. I'm 99% confident that this will work.

The good news is that if you have an old rim brake tri bike, you may be able to upgrade to 28mm tires (depending on manufacturer of the bike, wheels, tires, etc.), but it is feasible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should get latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take exception to the "antique" term.

My 2010 P3c is no more antique than I am.......oh hang on
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Mar 22, 24 7:41
Quote Reply