Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
I know many people successfully use table sugar as the basis for their on the bike fueling mix but I'm wondering about its applicability in a recovery drink.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be good in a drink with some whey protein powder to get some calories back in the tank very quickly?

Whole foods (including milk+banana, etc.) are better options IMO because of their:

1. Taste
2. Taste
3. Taste
4. Calorie density
5. Impact on teeth

Re: point 4, while you obviously want as little volume of food per gram of carb or per calorie during the workout, many people (including myself) will be looking to get that blissful feeling of satiety after the post-workout meal without consuming 2000 kcal.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Feb 16, 24 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m too stupid to understand the difference but I’ll take your word for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
And what makes those high levels of body fat? Sugar perhaps contributes a bit...

Probably but it's not sugar per se, it's just excess calories that lead to body fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
I know many people successfully use table sugar as the basis for their on the bike fueling mix but I'm wondering about its applicability in a recovery drink.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be good in a drink with some whey protein powder to get some calories back in the tank very quickly?

And how long after exercise stops does the body revert to seeing sugar as something bad that screws with your insulin sensitivity?

That's what I used. Glass of milk with sugar and whey protein.

Sugar doesn't screw with your insulin sensitivity, having high levels of body fat is the main thing that does that, followed by having a low aerobic fitness.

There are plenty of skinny diabetics. In addition, activity levels can directly impact blood glucose both positively and negatively (dehydration and increased cortisol). Athletes need to be cognizant of fueling outside of workouts. It's not a free pass to trash your body post workout. There are consequences. Donuts, pizza and booze aren't good for your health. Even bananas, honey, white bread can mess with blood glucose.
Quote Reply
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

And how long after exercise stops does the body revert to seeing sugar as something bad that screws with your insulin sensitivity?

That's what I used. Glass of milk with sugar and whey protein.

Sugar doesn't screw with your insulin sensitivity, having high levels of body fat is the main thing that does that, followed by having a low aerobic fitness.

There are plenty of skinny diabetics. In addition, activity levels can directly impact blood glucose both positively and negatively (dehydration and increased cortisol). Athletes need to be cognizant of fueling outside of workouts. It's not a free pass to trash your body post workout. There are consequences. Donuts, pizza and booze aren't good for your health. Even bananas, honey, white bread can mess with blood glucose.

Yeah just about as many as non smokers that get lung cancer which is to say something like 5-10%, but that doesn't mean excess body fat and smoking tobacco aren't the main risk factors for altered insulin sensitivity and lung cancer, respectively. You also have the second major risk factor which is low aerobic fitness to account for. But like any disease there can be other causes than the main risk factors.

Do we have any evidence that lean people who get Type II diabetes consume more sugar than lean people who don't?

I could see how once a person is insulin resistant and relying on hyperinsulinemia to control blood glucose that sugar could push them faster towards developing Type II diabetes, by exhausting the beta cells and return to normal insulin levels, but I don't know if we have evidence for that either?
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Feb 16, 24 4:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
as simple sugars are rarely found in nature

Glucose and fructose are quite common in sugary fruits. Though usually moderated a bit by a lot of fiber and other stuff.

Lactose is common in milk. Though surrounded by fat and protein in raw form.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 16, 24 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:
as simple sugars are rarely found in nature

Glucose and fructose are quite common in sugary fruits. Though usually moderated a bit by a lot of fiber and other stuff.

Lactose is common in milk. Though surrounded by fat and protein in raw form.

I just finished a book by Pozner called "Burn" which is basically about human energetics. He does work with the Hadza, one of the few hunter gatherer groups remaining. About 15% of their calories come straight from honey. They also walk quite a bit most days (~15k steps) and are all very skinny, probably largely because they eat a bland diet and have to go out and get their food everyday. Like most of these types of societies and subsistence farmers (who often have very carb rich diets), seems like almost no one gets diabetes, heart disease and the like.
Quote Reply
Re: Table sugar for the recovery shake? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it's more difficult to limit calories if you eat simple sugars. Due to the insulin spike-cravings cycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And in very small quantities. With some exceptions, such as oranges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
And in very small quantities. With some exceptions, such as oranges.

I don't know, I'm reading that a medium apple has about 19g, banana 14g. We're talking something about half a can of sugary soda. Not very small to me....maybe you run more Super Big Gulp. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bananas are one of those fruits. If your ancestors lived in a place that had bananas easily available, then they would have approximately 10% of the content in sugar, that their stomach had to digest in order to make them available. Not quite as "sugary soda", which requires no processing to make the sugar available, whilst providing no satiety. Unlike bananas which have quite a lot of fiber. Do some correlation of sugar in diet and diabetes incidence and see if you see a trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Bananas are one of those fruits. If your ancestors lived in a place that had bananas easily available, then they would have approximately 10% of the content in sugar, that their stomach had to digest in order to make them available. Not quite as "sugary soda", which requires no processing to make the sugar available, whilst providing no satiety. Unlike bananas which have quite a lot of fiber. Do some correlation of sugar in diet and diabetes incidence and see if you see a trend.

Yes, we're in a agreement about the fiber, fats, etc. See my post 31 above. We're just in disagreement about the quantity of sugar in fruit. Rather than being "rare" or "small amounts," I think it's quite a lot. Most pieces of fruit have a comparable amount of sugar as a gel packet used in racing. That's a subjective take, though. You might be comparing to 100's of grams of sugar in some common food products.
Quote Reply

Prev Next