Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike vs Tri Bike training
Quote | Reply
Question for those with experience - I am still gaining confidence as an outdoor rider and not always wanting to take tri bike out for rides. What’s views on supplementing outdoor rides with a road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [AndyDawson01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can maintain aero position for the duration of your tri bike leg comfortably then use your road bike as you like. If you're getting up or off the aero bars due to discomfort during a race then spend more time in the position. If you're planning on bike racing and tri racing get a mix of both. If you're planning on only racing Tris save the road bike for VO2s and very high intensity stuff and get used to the tri bike.

If you're in need of confidence on the open road a road bike is probably best to start with, then once you're comfortable a full aero tuck is a next step. Only you can determine that comfort level tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All riding is better than not riding. So zwift, road bike, Tri bike, even commuting.

And in reality there will be times when you can't do all the hours you want on a TT bike. Weather and boredom being the two key ones.

Over the year I'd say I do 45% of my kms on road bike outdoor, 45% on zwift and 10% on tt bike. The zwift kms split between TT and road position.

In winter, getting out with the group and co-motivating to do 100+kms and 1500m of climbing in the rain is better than any training you're realistically going to do regularly on your own in that situation. Once, maybe. Twice you're selling the bike and taking up darts.

Approaching A race, then it's time to get specific and train body and mind for solo steady state.

One thing from what you said though, on a nice calm day then find a nice quiet 10km flat loop without traffic and just get used to riding in TT, including after a few laps round the corners. Then as confidence builds, either try it on a slightly windy day or find a quiet loop with a few rolling hills.

No need to do this with deep wheels to start with, but prior to the race you do obviously want to know you can handle the bike in winds, or potentially what the strongest wind is before you chose to ride with shallow (training?) wheels on. Aero position on non aero wheels is still way faster for you than aero front wheel and you sat up on base bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the majority of training on my roadie. It’s just more fun to ride (better climbing, cornering, nimble, etc.). My tri bike is probably 20% of my volume…more as key races approach and I want to be sure I’m efficient and comfortable in aero.

After an A race I really look forward to training back on the road bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
If you can maintain aero position for the duration of your tri bike leg comfortably then use your road bike as you like. If you're getting up or off the aero bars due to discomfort during a race then spend more time in the position. If you're planning on bike racing and tri racing get a mix of both. If you're planning on only racing Tris save the road bike for VO2s and very high intensity stuff and get used to the tri bike.

If you're in need of confidence on the open road a road bike is probably best to start with, then once you're comfortable a full aero tuck is a next step. Only you can determine that comfort level tho.

This is pretty much it.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Majority of my time on the road bike, 6 weeks before a race I will be on the tri-bike to get use to the position so that am comfy for the race.

If looking to gain confidence on the road, go with a road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never even owned a road bike. 100% of my rides are on my tri bike. I'm, not interested in group rides, and I'm comfortable in the aerobars. The terrain where I live is extremely flat and often windy. I do complete VO2 intervals while sitting up on the tri bike. Am I missing something by not riding a road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as you are comfortable riding your tri bike it really doesn't matter what bike you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said riding any bike is better than not riding.

But the longer your race, especially HIM and IM, the more important it is to have at least enough time on your TT bike to know you can make it through at least most, if not all of the distance without having back pain or cramping issues early on.

There's no magic formula for this, but obviously more TT bike time helps. It may also help if your road bike is set up more aggressively or you favor the drops, but there are also people who are just more supple in the back and can transition more easily.

I def have to do most of my long rides on my TT bike for HIM distance if I'm planning to ride the whole thing aero without issue. Zwift/indoor is pretty good for this as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyDawson01 wrote:
Question for those with experience - I am still gaining confidence as an outdoor rider and not always wanting to take tri bike out for rides. What’s views on supplementing outdoor rides with a road bike?
That's what I do most of the time. Better safety riding in the city. But. The saddle is the same. Road bike has a seat post that can flip forward so I did that. The pedals to saddle fit is the same on both bikes. The road bike has clip-ons. I use them some but mostly am in hoods with hands on brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I have never even owned a road bike. 100% of my rides are on my tri bike. I'm, not interested in group rides, and I'm comfortable in the aerobars. The terrain where I live is extremely flat and often windy. I do complete VO2 intervals while sitting up on the tri bike. Am I missing something by not riding a road bike?

Other than the flat part, this is me. I play triathlon, so I use triathlon equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very much at the blunt end of the race so take this as you will.

When training for an IM / in the same year as an IM, I'd estimate thst I'd do 60% Road bike, 30% mountain bike or gravel bike, 8% TT and 2% turbo.

It's too hilly, the roads too narrow, poor/ potholed / gravel littered, and the car drivers to moronic, to use the TT bike around where I live.

When the weather is wet or miserable through a British Winter, I'd rather be on the mountain bike or gravel bike.
I do make sure I'm comfortable enough on the TT in the couple.of months leading up to a race inc a couple of 100mile rides on it.

The mountain biking and gravel bike riding gives better bike handling skills too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:

Same here. I dont mind the group rides, however, this year I see myself doing more solo rides as my training partner is focusing on the marathon and my other training friends are not racing long this year/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bikes handle differently than road bikes.

The stereotype of triathletes who can't handle their bikes is true, because most don't spend enough time riding the TT bike.

I road my TT bike in the inner city, up hills, down hills, winding narrow roads, etc until I was confident on race day and wouldn't lose 10s in every corner.

Now I do 85% gravel, 14% road, and 1% TT, but I've been riding for 30 years....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding any bike is much, much, much more important that the specific bike you ride.

the higher your cycling fitness, even if it's generated on the road bike, the faster you will go on the tri/tt bike

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it comes to triathlon training, switching between road bikes and triathlon bikes isn't without some risks. Road bikes and triathlon bikes have distinct geometries and riding positions that can significantly affect your biomechanics and muscle engagement. Switching between these bikes frequently may lead to inconsistencies in pedaling technique, saddle position, and handlebar reach, potentially increasing the risk of overuse injuries and muscular imbalances. Each bike type requires a period of adaptation to become accustomed to its specific handling characteristics and riding dynamics. Rapidly switching between road bikes and triathlon bikes may disrupt this adaptation process, hindering your ability to optimize performance and efficiency on either bike. Consistency is key in triathlon training, and frequent changes between bike types can disrupt your training rhythm and impede progress toward your goals. Instead of focusing on mastering one bike type, you may find yourself constantly adjusting to different riding positions and handling nuances, compromising your ability to achieve peak performance in triathlon races.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bikes are way more fun to ride on most roads. Ride your road bike and get comfortable riding outside. As your race approaches, spend some more time on the TT bike to get comfortable on it. Make sure you have a good fit on all your bikes. In any given week I'll ride road, TT, and gravel bikes, no issues. If you find you're having issues from switching bikes, I'd highly recommend working on some strength and mobility
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That hasn't been my experience with myself or anyone in my training pod.

At least for the last 10 years.

Yes, there are some differences but to the point of overuse injuries and muscle imbalances? I just haven't seen any evidence of that in people from 35 to 65 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's a load on nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reads like ChatGPT wrote it
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike vs Tri Bike training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote: