Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically
Quote | Reply
Ultegra 6870 Di2 derailleur hanger on my 2014 Cervelo S5 snapped on a ride under load.

The derailleur broke a spoke on rear wheel and got caught in the chainstay area.

(1) Unfortunately, there's marks on both chainstays, one of which looks like it could have be real damage to fibers.

(2) I also noticed a second area of damage from rub between the wheel (which I think got out of true from a recent pothole) and the inner chainstay. After rubbing it down, it looks rough but not sure if it's fibers or just gritting from the wheel rub.

Thoughts on the damage level? Areas look repairable by Calfee but it's an old bike so for the $500-1000 to repair, maybe I should just get a new bike?
Quote Reply
Re: My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More likely your wheel being out of true means it caught the detailer have just wrong when you were pedaling. Tight clearance on those old bikes with wide rims. Did that myself once. Honestly the damage doesn't look too bad but I'd definitely have someone look over it if you intend to ride the frame long term for sure. And when I say have someone look over it, I mean someone with the appropriate inspection techniques, like calfee. I'd think a new bike with more clearance would probably be nice, but the old s5 is a sweet bike.
Quote Reply
Re: My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As is usually the answer with carbon fiber, superficial stuff like this is almost always okay to ride, but without ultrasonic or other depth testing you won't know for sure. If it were my bike I'd get a new hanger and ride it. The rub from the wheel looks much worse than any chips, but it's hard to tell from that picture. If there's actual fibers coming through (i.e. the material has been worn down past the epoxy and into the first layer) you could do a home repair job with carbon wrap and epoxy. There's a lot of material on the diameter of that section so a small bit scuff isn't a deal breaker. All of this in the context of a 2014 carbon frame that was made with many more layers and thicker layups than more recent carbon frames, and the chainstay area being a typically thicker area on top of that.

If you're not comfortable riding it, and it's $500-$1000, I wouldn't repair it. You could buy a replacement frame for the same price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Ultegra 6870 Di2 derailleur hanger

Just quibbling that the hanger is not Ultegra. It's an OEM part that doesn't come from Shimano. They're usually made by the frame manufacturer or some third-party company.

And the aluminum ones are designed to break. With the theory that it protects both the frame and the derailleur. It's not that surprising that one that's about 10 years old would snap. It's one of those parts that once it has a number of years on it, you want to periodically inspect it for signs of metal fatigue and softness. For that same Cervelo, I got my replacement from Wheels Mfg. I think I probably have a spare one for my now-defunct S5, so let me know if you want me to look for it and mail it for free.

I'm on the same page that the damage *looks* pretty minor, but you might have it checked out by an expert in person before resuming riding.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 8, 24 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
aravilare wrote:

Just quibbling that the hanger is not Ultegra. It's an OEM part that doesn't come from Shimano. They're usually made by the frame manufacturer or some third-party company.

And the aluminum ones are designed to break. With the theory that it protects both the frame and the derailleur. It's not that surprising that one that's about 10 years old would snap. It's one of those parts that once it has a number of years on it, you want to periodically inspect it for signs of metal fatigue and softness. For that same Cervelo, I got my replacement from Wheels Mfg. I think I probably have a spare one for my now-defunct S5, so let me know if you want me to look for it and mail it for free.

I'm on the same page that the damage *looks* pretty minor, but you might have it checked out by an expert in person before resuming riding.

Fair point on the hanger. Also reminds me of the irony of the LBS employee telling me two weeks ago that I had a slightly bent hanger and how that it sucks they're designed to break off and prone to bricking expensive wheelsets nowadays (luckily the Flo wheels are more affordable than typical).

Thank you for the offer but I snagged a replacement hanger off Amazon with free 1-day Prime shipping so if LBS thinks the carbon damage is cosmetic, this could be only a very short break from the bike.
Last edited by: aravilare: Feb 8, 24 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
aravilare wrote:

+1 to everything above. Honestly, I would almost say that frame looks in better shape than virtually all my bikes! And equally, whilst I'd be way more concerned about damage to a fork or even main frame tube, the chainstay is incredibly strong, designed to flex whilst not fatiguing and if it did fail is highly unlikely to do so in a catastrophic way. And finally, unless it was the bike that you road to win your first pro race that you used the winnngs to buy your engagement ring before riding to the proposal and then down the aisle at the wedding, repairing it is not a sensible financial proposition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First shop that I went to (where I usually get service but didn’t buy bike at) didn’t want to work on it because of liability reasons.

Find a new shop or get a new bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
First shop that I went to (where I usually get service but didn’t buy bike at) didn’t want to work on it because of liability reasons.

It seems like you want a new bike. :) You have my permission.

Though if this is the same LBS where they saw you had a bent hanger, and didn't push you do deal with it, I'd think about a new LBS. As soon as a hanger is visibly bent, it's done, and a disaster waiting to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
aravilare wrote:

It seems like you want a new bike. :) You have my permission.

Though if this is the same LBS where they saw you had a bent hanger, and didn't push you do deal with it, I'd think about a new LBS. As soon as a hanger is visibly bent, it's done, and a disaster waiting to happen.

Same one. This was as I had to come back because they punched the tube on a flat change, so can’t say I’m happy with them. One of those Bay Area “fancy” shops.

To be fair, I don’t recall if they said derailleur hanger or derailleur cage.

Edit: second shop, where I bought it, thinks it’s cosmetic, and they seemed to take a more thorough look than first shop.
Last edited by: aravilare: Feb 8, 24 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Ditto this. If you're working in a shop, and you see a bent derailleur hanger, it should immediately trigger a conversation about repairing it. Because this is what happens when you don't.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:

Have you considered working on the bike yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: My aluminum derailleur hanger failed catastrophically [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
If it were my bike I'd get a new hanger and ride it.
I second this. My much lighter-built Cannondale SuperSix Evo HiMod has much worse damage in half a dozen places and I ride it hard. I'm 94kg and a former bobsledder, so high power occasionally. I may have lost a few 'normal person fears' racing downhill without brakes in a scratched up carbon fiber bathtub on runners at 90mph. (in nothing but a speed suit and a kevlar burn vest that only covers your shoulders)

I take none of the liability of you following my internet forum advice. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
trail wrote:
For that same Cervelo, I got my replacement from Wheels Mfg. I think I probably have a spare one for my now-defunct S5, so let me know if you want me to look for it and mail it for free.

Thank you for the offer but I snagged a replacement hanger off Amazon with free 1-day Prime shipping so if LBS thinks the carbon damage is cosmetic, this could be only a very short break from the bike.
Agree with others: looks superficial. Ride with replacement hanger.
Be aware that hangers vary in quality from cheeselike to CNC (reputable source), and one bought off Amazon has low assurance. Bite @trail's arm off so that when your Amazon one bends (or sooner), you can replace it. A ha'p'orth of tar . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're made to break, meaning the hanger. Hard to reverse engineer how it managed to get tweaked and snap mid rid because who knows at this point? I'd at least toss a new hanger on, see how things looked alignment wise and ride it if nothing seemed really out of wack.

Frame doesn't look too bad and IME you're going to be hard pressed to get ANYONE to say a frame is okay for liability reasons.
Quote Reply