Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XC MTB Rim Width
Quote | Reply
Conflicting info out there… 25mm internal good for XC, up to 2.4”, or 30mm internal really the way to go?
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25mm would be fine imo for XC, though I wouldn't want to go any narrower. If I was spending decent money on a new pair of wheels these days though I'd probably be looking for closer to 30mm. My current XC bike has 25mm rims, though the bike is nearly 10 years old - my enduro bike has 30mm. Depends a little bit how hard you plan to be riding - if you're fairly gentle then 25mm would definitely be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the width tyre you are planning to use. 30mm can be a bit two wide for some 2.25" rear tyres and round the profile out too much. If your frame can run 2.35 or 2.4, then get 30mm.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely nobody is riding 2.25" any more?!!!
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha true, unless it's an older frame, particularly a hardtail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride specialized 2.35mm tires down to 15 psi on 25mm rims with no issues. 30 may be better but 25 works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run from 2.25 to 2.4 with 28mm inner width rims.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re upgrading to one or the other, I’ve felt there is much more stability in 30mm and 2.4”.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [Koudja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I agree. I initially moved from too small 21mm inner width carbon rims to inexpensive aluminum 28mm rims (with DT Swiss 350 hubs) with the idea that I'd upgrade to 30mm carbon rims when the 28mm aluminum set went bad. Funny thing though, the aluminum wheelset has held up quite well for over a year. I have been running it with Tubolight EVO inserts.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Surely nobody is riding 2.25" any more?!!!

Race Kings top out at 2.2 and there's no finer xc tire.

(and this is coming from someone with 2.5 MaxxGrip DHF's and Cushcore on a Stumpy Evo)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Feb 5, 24 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't like 2.4 tires with 25mm rims. Once I moved to 29mm rims I love 2.4 tires. The wider internal rims seem to support the sidewalls better and makes cornering feel sharper and less vague.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike came with 23mm rims and I'm running a 2.6 front and a 2.25 rear.

The manufacturer says the rim is too narrow for a 2.6 (Stans Crest MK3) but it works just fine.

I will move the rear to a 2.6 when the old one wears out. (if it fits in the frame)
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just nuked the rear hub on the OEM Rovals on my trail bike, so went with the Hunt Race XC Wide as the replacement. Will see how that feels. I've only ever used the Rovals being newer to MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB Rim Width [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a Canondale Scalpel with a Lefty front end and some weird AI offset rear. I'm not changing any time soon.
Quote Reply