Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024
Quote | Reply
The new iteration of New Balance's SC Elite v4 looks pretty sweet, but I do wonder how it stacks up.

I'm curious what others are planning on racing in for 2024. I feel like the alphafly 3's are out of reach due to resellers. The metaspeed might be getting a little long in the tooth and I much preferred v1 to the updates. Hoka seems to be showing up to the party with the rocket x2 and the cielo x1.

What are people planning on racing in this season?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still sitting on a pair of vaporfly 3's from 2023 with under 50 miles on them so likely will start the season with those but ooooo man if I had an extra couple grand laying around I would love to go crazy on a few pairs of supershoes and see how they stack up. Online/youtube reviews only go so far.

I'm leaning towards a pair of Pro 3s or the Elite v4 - struggling to make a decision!
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny enough, we had our new shoe contributor just write up a review on the NBs.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...p_Elite_v4_8888.html

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I just gave it a read, he doesn't seem to mention how it appears to be a little on the heavier side. I hear nothing but praise for the alphafly 3, but the SC elite may be a better fit for us mere mortals. I'm hoping to get a chance to test them at a store before taking the leap as many have commented that it's a little more firm than the previous iterations.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the bit about his philosophy for testing:

[quote5. Shoe weight is not at the top of the list for me. How a shoe works with a person’s biomechanics is most important. An extra ounce for a shoe that might improve biomechanics, efficiency and power is worth it.][/quote]
----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the look of these and wanted to like the v2 but not only did they kill my ankle but they were slow and sloppy for me. I really wanted to like them because I wanted to get away from Nike so hopefully these are a much better version. I follow a guy on IG Labratrundown and they do a ton of shoe testing and they just posted Alphafly v1 was way better than v3 for running economy on the tester. I know not everyone is the same but if v3 is faster and better than v1 then I cannot wait to run in them because v1 is amazing.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [bobbystans1220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobbystans1220 wrote:
I'm still sitting on a pair of vaporfly 3's from 2023 with under 50 miles on them so likely will start the season with those but ooooo man if I had an extra couple grand laying around I would love to go crazy on a few pairs of supershoes and see how they stack up. Online/youtube reviews only go so far.

I'm leaning towards a pair of Pro 3s or the Elite v4 - struggling to make a decision!

These NB are really nice.
I have read reviews that the pre-testers that said the upper was flimsy, not good fitting in the midfoot and slippery in the heel….
Well, nothing in the production. It grabs your midfoot very nice, no slipping in the heel..at all and I run sockless in most of my running shoes.
They are, as always, on the wider fit in the forefoot. New Balance most of the time sits on the wider part of the fit spectrum.

I agree with writer of the front page article, they are soft but not vaporfly soft. I feel they are like in the middle of Saucony Endorphin Elite and Adidas Adios Pro 3.
Energy return feels very good, I don’t really like the softness almost mushy Nike’s.

So far for me the NB Elite so far. And much better than that new Hoka, that is quite a dissapointment, and that is understatement

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I really like the look of these and wanted to like the v2 but not only did they kill my ankle but they were slow and sloppy for me. I really wanted to like them because I wanted to get away from Nike so hopefully these are a much better version. I follow a guy on IG Labratrundown and they do a ton of shoe testing and they just posted Alphafly v1 was way better than v3 for running economy on the tester. I know not everyone is the same but if v3 is faster and better than v1 then I cannot wait to run in them because v1 is amazing.

Yeah, the Alphafly one was an incredibly special shoe and I've yet to find something on that level. By all the reviews I've read, the v3 might be the true successor to version 1.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, it wasn’t even close Alphafly v1 vs v3. I honestly find that a bit shocking. Makes me want to go buy all the Alphafly v1 in my size off eBay.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously it’s individual there and I take those tests with a grain of salt just because what’s better in the treadmill for a period of time won’t say what’s faster over 26.2/13.1 miles but I was shocked too. His tests have shown for him v1 with 400 miles is still better for him than any other shoe which is even more interesting to me. But don’t go telling everyone! I got my pair off GOAT but my guess is prices will just go up now than supply will be way down.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm anticipating the NB Pacer V2, but it doesn't release until late summer I think.
I mainly do sprints and Olys (currently using Hoka Rocket 2), and most of the supershoes are really designed for longer distance racing. The big brands have started putting the super foam and sometimes plates in lower stack offerings but reviews all seem a bit hit and miss, much like the attempts to put it in trail shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Obviously it’s individual there and I take those tests with a grain of salt just because what’s better in the treadmill for a period of time won’t say what’s faster over 26.2/13.1 miles but I was shocked too. His tests have shown for him v1 with 400 miles is still better for him than any other shoe which is even more interesting to me. But don’t go telling everyone! I got my pair off GOAT but my guess is prices will just go up now than supply will be way down.

It looks like Mantz and Rupp are both wearing v1 in the marathon trials. Hard to tell, but I think there’s no v3 Alphafly in that front men’s pack and only one or two in the women’s front pack.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance SC Elite v4 Vs. Other Supershoes for 2024 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that was very interesting. I knew they both didn't wear v2 but maybe they just thought not a big enough difference between the 2 to make the change and obviously they can get as many pairs of v1 as they want so supply isn't an issue. Will be interesting to see if Mantz wears v1 at the Olympics. I mean we do know that records fall with v3 so cannot be THAT much slower. But this is also what I was trying to get at in the other thread about super shoe testing. The numbers seem to be so small that most just need one data point to convince them one shoe is faster than the other and that extra confidence is probably bigger than the percentage gain from one shoe to the next.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply