Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is/was anyone really good at racewalking? Curious and I have questions for you
Quote | Reply
I saw someone racewalking at the gym while I was traveling this weekend. She was really good. I REALLY wanted to ask her questions but the timing of doing so didn't work out. So if you were or are good at rw'ing here are my questions. Thank you :-)

1. Compare your 5k RW time to 5k run time (other distances are fine, I just want to know how much slower you were in one vs the other. I know really good RWers can out walk some very good runners - the U Maine xc/track team had a woman who could do like a 1h30 half marathon race walking, I think)

2. What sorts of injuries have you had, or are common with this? I'm sure stress fractures happen from mileage but what else?

3. While competitively RW training, did you run too?

4. While competitively RW training, if you had an easy day or recovery day did you walk normally (non RW) or just RW slower?

5. Is there a RW high like there is a runner's high?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Is/was anyone really good at racewalking? Curious and I have questions for you [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any excuse to post gifs of Bryan Cranston racewalking in Malcolm in the Middle....

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is/was anyone really good at racewalking? Curious and I have questions for you [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll probably enjoy reading this: https://www.reddit.com/...Running/s/ByeF8FQZqP

Olympic race walker answering a bunch of questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Is/was anyone really good at racewalking? Curious and I have questions for you [first_doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Is/was anyone really good at racewalking? Curious and I have questions for you [first_doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first_doom wrote:
You’ll probably enjoy reading this: https://www.reddit.com/...Running/s/ByeF8FQZqP

Olympic race walker answering a bunch of questions.

i read parts of that thread very interesting, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to poke around here: https://racewalk.com/index.php

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I saw someone racewalking at the gym while I was traveling this weekend. She was really good. I REALLY wanted to ask her questions but the timing of doing so didn't work out. So if you were or are good at rw'ing here are my questions. Thank you :-)

1. Compare your 5k RW time to 5k run time (other distances are fine, I just want to know how much slower you were in one vs the other. I know really good RWers can out walk some very good runners - the U Maine xc/track team had a woman who could do like a 1h30 half marathon race walking, I think)

2. What sorts of injuries have you had, or are common with this? I'm sure stress fractures happen from mileage but what else?

3. While competitively RW training, did you run too?

4. While competitively RW training, if you had an easy day or recovery day did you walk normally (non RW) or just RW slower?

5. Is there a RW high like there is a runner's high?

I wish I could answer your questions but I don’t have that much experience. I had IT Band issues when I decided to sign up for IM Tulsa and while talking to my PT mentioned I didn’t think I could run and that I’d have to do that goofy walking thing from the Olympics (and Malcom in the Middle of course!).

Much to my surprise he pointed out that one of the top ranked race walkers in the country was sweeping his floors in exchange for services (must not be a lot of money in racewalking… shocked face,lol). He was a nice guy and met with me a few times to go over the basics. I was able to get my walking time down to around a 10 minute mile pace but was SHOCKED that I could get my hr up to 180 by “walking”!

I enjoyed it once I got past the weird looks from walking so funny. Sorry I can’t answer more of your questions, just thought I’d chime in with my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dated a racewalker in high school. She was quite good with the race walking. She put me to the curb and stung at the time.

I know that answers zero of your questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago a bunch of collegiate cross country bros were hanging out, post-workout. Suddenly into their field of view arrived a dude doing race walk kind of walking. Much pointing and laughing ensued as you might expect from these nitwit bros. Some days later the same race walker appeared again and asked if he could join the bros on a run, who stifled a snicker but said okay buddy come on out.

As it turns out, the race walker was a really funny guy, quick of wit and it further turned out, fleet of foot as he buried all the varsity cross country bros, who suddenly found the whole thing much less amusing. It also turned out that he did most of his gob-smacking volume as a runner, and did very focused technique sessions for the racewalk aspect, but did a crushing amount of run volume on top of that.

Every now and then this same guy joined the bros in the occasional cross country race (destroying them) and even some mountain stage racing during the off season (more destruction), and then went off to his full time work as a PhD student and multiple time Olympian. By this time nobody laughed when he showed up to join the bros, as he prompted instead a wide range of flinching, cringing, and trembling lower lips.

One of the now-enlightened bros once asked why he chose racewalking, and the Olympian quipped that it was a great way to get a date. (He has been married to another Olympian for some time now.)
Quote Reply