Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike case recommendations [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are close. The container ( with cases) was off loaded from the vessel 4/13. Waiting on an update from the rail yard as to when it will arrive at my door.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
We are close. The container ( with cases) was off loaded from the vessel 4/13. Waiting on an update from the rail yard as to when it will arrive at my door.

Excellent! Let me know if you will as I have some people looking....... Thanks Dan!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [Paul_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd also share my recent, first time experiences with the Evoc Road Bike Bag Pro that largely mirror the above.
  • Setting up the bag: Inserting the stiffening/structural rods into the bag for the first time was quite a chore. I am planning on keeping the rods in during storage, just to avoid doing so again.
  • Bike breakdown/setup: Strapping the bike into the harness, then the harness into the bag was maybe a 45 min job the first time. Both reassembly on the other side plus future breakdowns should be easier (15 min each?), now that I know what i'm doing
  • Lugging the bag: The bag is not stable when being pulled. I'm not sure if its a design thing or poor quality control, but mine leans to one side such that it stays upright when stationary but otherwise quite prone to tipping.
  • Protection: relatively good luck so far. I did take off my rear derailleur and chain just for extra precaution but might roll the dice in the future.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this to others. I was hoping it'd be slightly smaller than the bike box alan (mostly for transport considerations) but I'm not sure if this is actually true, or worth the incremental risk in damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [quijybo15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I borrowed a BBA for a round trip from north america to europe last year. As others have pointed out, it is big and a bit heavy. BUT - for crying out loud - EVERY bike bag/box is big. Most are as heavy as the BBA (at least the hard sided ones). I got my bike in the BBA, both wheels and a bunch of other items (helmet, pedals, some soft gear) and still under the 50 pound weight cutoff. But it is pricey (aren't they all?) and shipping from the UK (to the US) is also pricey. But BBA mentioned to me in an email last year that they were setting up a local distributor in the US (CA, I think). IIRC, shipping was less, but the BBA was more (probably including the shipping costs from UK to CA - even in bulk that's not $0). So the overall price was similar. Bleh. But I do give a thumbs up on the BBA for functionality and protection. When I was returning to the US (with many athletes traveling from the same event) there were five other bikes in line with me at the airport check in. Four others (plus mine) were BBA. FWIW.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After much thought I bought a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 Triathlon bag ($499) for my son when traveling to races. He just got back from Collegiate Nationals and the case provided excellent protection. I added a piece of heavy cardboard to the outside of each wheel pocket and may replace it with thin plastic sheet to provide some level of crush protection. I only saw the BBA as the better yet costlier alternative but I'm overall happy with Scicon.

Besides protecting the bike it was quick and easy for him to pack and assemble. We chose this bag because taking off the integrated stem/base bar was not an option for him.

His aerobars are at mantis angle so loosened and turn the tubes downward. Other than that just had to remove BTA bracket, rear derailleur and pedals.

Bag with bike, protection foam, pedals, floor pump and assembly tools was under 50 lbs qualifying it as one checked bag on Southwest. It will fit easily into most rental cars. It fits in his Mini Cooper.

The wheels are smooth and heavy duty bag is quite stable.

We put an AirTag in his frame toolbox and could see where the bike was at any time. I may get a GPS tracker for Taupo.

I would really recommend this bag for someone that wants or needs the least amount of disassembly/assembly of their bike and some good level of protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had a few customers with broken bikes from the bags. One's P5 was broken and Cervelo could not get him a replacement for months, so be careful. Go hardcase.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
But BBA mentioned to me in an email last year that they were setting up a local distributor in the US (CA, I think). IIRC, shipping was less, but the BBA was more (probably including the shipping costs from UK to CA - even in bulk that's not $0). So the overall price was similar.

Full Send Cycle is a BBA US distributor and based in Socal. They had a booth at IM 70.3 Oceanside and Sam, who runs the business, did the race. Appears to be a small family run business (the whole family seemed to be at the booth) and were very nice to chat with. I got my BBA off of them; ordered earlier this year, shipped in March, used it in April.

https://fullsendcycle.com/
Last edited by: nanban_ronin: Apr 20, 24 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case recommendations [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone shipped their bike in a BBA Triathlon Aero EasyFit via UPS, FedEx, etc. instead of flying it with you? For example, some of us may vacation in other cities post-race and traveling around for multiple flights, cars, etc. with a BBA seems like a massive pain. Also, the BBA is so big that BikeFlights apparently cannot accommodate it; I received the error message below. When I called BikeFlights, they told me that sending the BBA through them is basically not an option, but suggested that UPS Freight may be an option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Heads Up! Your box dimensions or weight exceed the maximum allowed. If you ship a box or case that exceeds the Maximum Size when scanned by our carrier, you will be charged a carrier penalty of US$1,450, your shipment may be stopped or returned, and your package may not be delivered. Please contact Support for packing suggestions to get your shipment’s size down to or below 165 in (419 cm) = (1 x Length) + (2 x Width) + (2 x Height) and 150 lbs (68 kg).
Quote Reply

Prev Next