Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't used it in a few years, but I had an indoor sprint workout you might find interesting. I would pull up videos of sumo tournaments, which might have 13-14 matches per day. After a good warmup, I'd start the video and every time a match started, I'd do a max sprint for as long as the match lasted, then recover between matches. The matches might run from as short as 2-3 seconds, to sometimes well over a minute. Didn't matter, I would start at full sprint and hold max power for as long as the match lasted.

Another indoor workout I did for VO2 would be to watch a pro level boxing match and do VO2 efforts during the rounds, and recover in between. Didn't need to faff around with worrying about the timing of the intervals, no fiddling with the lap button, just hit the power when the bell rang, and shut it down at the end of the round. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another "vote" for hooking up with robo pacers on Zwift. My new fave route is Big Ring because it has a little bit of everything in it and usually lots of riders so I can go easier and still catch the draft: 5 sprints, some undulations along the coast, a decent 10-minute climb and a couple kicker climbs. On some longer rides, I'll peel off at AdZ and do some extended easy climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
put someone on a bike and they revert to the attention span of a 1 year old. ever heard of swimmers watching netflix while doing laps?

I will pretend I don’t suspect this is a troll attempt 😂

There’s so much to focus on while swimming - at least for us adult onset swimmers. No movement or sensation is obvious. Meanwhile hamstering on the bike…

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to comment, but this sums it up.

lightheir wrote:
z1/2 is the easiest to do - literally anything works.

When I'm home, I'll use z1-2 to watch Netflix or other streaming services. I usually set it on erg mode to make sure I don't slack off, but I do set it on how I'm feeling that day.

When I'm at work, I use an Omnium Feedback portable trainer in my office (dumb trainer) and listen to podcasts while riding, still really good. Generally just ride steady.

I save the structured stuff for hard interval workout day or tempo day, usually in erg mode, and preferably with a workout video on whatever platform you like. Lately I've just been using youtube workouts like GCN - they tell you to go hard, and I go hard.

I loved zwift for awhile, but I rode it so much that I'm still sick of seeing the Zwift world open up in front of me for z1-2 day. It's still great for racing and hard stuff, but I'm so sick of riding the routes I've ridden SO many times that I've let my Zwift subscription lapse and haven't renewed it for awhile.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you're feeling weak, you may paint a red dot on the wall for distraction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an old KK dumb trainer with a power meter and my regular head unit, so I just settle in somewhere around z2 power, depending on gearing and how I’m feeling. I’ll occasionally vary the power or toss in some short sprints/cadence blocks or whatever, but generally more as an ad-lib thing for variety and posterior comfort than any particular structure.

Mostly I revise my recorded uni lectures because it kind of kills two birds with one stone and I can get some good volume in without too much logistical inconvenience. I’ll mix it up with some Netflix or YouTube occasionally, though often I find myself tending toward stuff where I can learn something- seems to help the time pass quicker because I’m a bit more mentally engaged. (That being said, there’s a fair bit of dumb YouTube of the 20-something year old female variety in there, too :) )
Quote Reply
Re: How do you do your z1/z2 aerobic cycling indoors? [flubber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the day, I used to ride 8-10 hours per week on the computrainer during the winter in erg mode. It sucked, but it got the job done. Now I have a perfect setup in my basement with an 85 inch flat screen tv on my wall, wall/ceiling speakers and zwift. It is honestly better than riding outdoors for both easy-steady rides as well as long intervals/climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Trainerroad for this. They have all sorts of endurance rides up to about 6 hours which do wonders for those kinds of rides. Although I try to ride long outside whenever possible, I have done a full IM build on a trainer using this method. Keep in on erg mode, turn on a Netflix movie or two, and have at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the fall / winter, I do 95% of my rides Indoors. Mostly out of convenience. All of them are in zwift and almost all are in ERG mode w Netflix on.

For z2 rides - I usually do a flat power for the duration, or something like 5 mins @ X power and 5 mins @ X+/- 15w, for as long as my z2 workout calls for

I will adjust up or down as much as needed to get my HR in the zone for the day

If it’s z1, I’ll just free ride

Mentally it’s easier to just tune out and pedal than to be thinking about effort on the trainer

When the weather gets warmer, I’ll do 50% of the rides outdoors. Way more enjoyable, but my efficiency goes down (and I also struggle to hold the same power / HR due to stoplights, traffic, etc)
Quote Reply

Prev Next