Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at some wheel options for my Gen 2 Trek SC.

A fair number of rim widths are going up to the 28mm width.

Has anyone run rims this wide?

If so, what tire width?

Anyone running a 28mm width rim and a 28mm tire?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you are good up front, but I think the fairing brake cover is only like 28mm or so wide. The rear tire would rub because there is enough flex in the frame. I had to grind mine down when I ran 25s with flo wheels. Or you could run the UCI brake cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok that's kind of what I was thinking too. I have 25s mounted to Hed Jet 6/9 Black combo currently and it clears, but does rub just a touch on one side if I stand up and push hard.

I'm looking at a disc wheel that has a 28mm wide brake track, but the same internal width as the head rim at 21mm. I'd assume this would also work with a 25 tire since the bead width is the same. Curious if the extra width would clear the calipers though without adjustment. The same disc is made in a 25mm brake width but is 100gr heavier.

I love the brake surface on the Heds but feel it's a bit heavy and laterally flexy for the size. The discs I'm looking at are 980gr (28mm) and 1120gr (25mm). The HED is 1060gr w/o tape. So not really a weight penalty to go disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
i think you are good up front, but I think the fairing brake cover is only like 28mm or so wide. The rear tire would rub because there is enough flex in the frame. I had to grind mine down when I ran 25s with flo wheels. Or you could run the UCI brake cover.

Interesting...
I run 25s on Hed Jet+ and don't get any rub (that I am aware of) on my brake fin. Are you sure it's the fin? Aren't Hed Jet's wider than Flo wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 28 (Schwalbe Pro One) on HED Jet black with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Gen 2 Tire and Rim Clearance [V02max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
V02max wrote:
I run 28 (Schwalbe Pro One) on HED Jet black with no problems.

On a gen 2 SC? Sweet if so. I may give it a shot. Do you have a picture of the clearance front and back by chance? Just curious how much room there is.
Quote Reply