Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Used Triathlon Frames?
Quote | Reply
I've been looking for used triathlon bikes recently and have noticed that some frames seem to hold value significantly better than others. I see that Cervelo P5s hold their value exceptionally well (2013 model year still going for $3000). I also know that bikes have steadily increased in what width of tire they accommodate and have started integrating disc brakes into their designs. With this, I don't know if the progress in technology has gapped older generations in more than just aerodynamic design. I was wondering what frames are the best value as used options with current prices.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Used Triathlon Frames? [cpurcell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s probably explained in here:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cpurcell wrote:
I've been looking for used triathlon bikes recently and have noticed that some frames seem to hold value significantly better than others. I see that Cervelo P5s hold their value exceptionally well (2013 model year still going for $3000). I also know that bikes have steadily increased in what width of tire they accommodate and have started integrating disc brakes into their designs. With this, I don't know if the progress in technology has gapped older generations in more than just aerodynamic design. I was wondering what frames are the best value as used options with current prices.

Disc brakes are harder to design around than rim brakes. When I did the aero bike shoot out I talked with the designers of two of the bikes in the shoot out. They flat out told me that they could have made the P5X even faster by ~ 5w if it had been rim brake. I did a bit of work with another bike company that was struggling to make their disc brake bike as aero as their rim brake bike. If you look at Argon and the design work they did to make their disc brake bike faster iirc it was 7 figures of development for 2w savings.

If you have a list of rim brake bikes I can help you rank them as I've got a pretty extensive rim brake bike only wind tunnel data set. On the other hand if you go to Pinkbike I've seen some really fast disc brake tri bikes for $5k recently. If you can afford to go from $3k to $5k for a disc brake bike that makes sense for future proofing the bike

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 22, 23 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit biased, but feel the Premier Tactical is a great used value. I bought a used one a few years ago, and it's probably 98% as aero as the top frames - probably only a few watts difference - but at maybe 1/5 the price of a top end frame. Yes - it's rim brake, but lots of folks still have those wheels, and they are just as aero as disc brake wheels. I have three other bikes that are all disc brake, but I won't part ways with my Premier until I'm forced to do so.

It's also netted me tons of top bike splits even though I know there are others putting out more watts.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best Used Triathlon Frames? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, yes, I have a teammate that picked up a Premier before this season. He’s definitely had high praises for the machine and its value. I’ve been trying to find one on the used market since, but they’ve consistently eluded me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go rim brake, specially for a Tri bike. You are going to pay half the price for the complete setup, and there's no reason it shouldn't last you 3-5 years. The only consideration I would have is buying wheels with good braking surface, such as zipp NSW or HED jet black.

I have just build such a setup with a Scott plasma 5 and 12 speed axs. If this bike was being ridden at the tdf last year, it should be good enough for an AG.
Quote Reply