Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Books About Training [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training essentials for Ultrarunning by Jason Koop - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MYVR8P6

Although written with Ultra Running in mind, it is a gold mine for endurance/speed training and racing in general. Highly recommend his podcast too: https://www.jasonkoop.com/podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [D_Marc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Never Finished”, by David Goggins

Read Goggins for purely the inspiration. Helpful early on, if you are just getting going in Endurance Sports - perhaps moving from a sedentary life to being more active, and taking on the challenge of finishing a Triathlon. However, after that, my personal feeling is the Goggins messaging starts to be NOT helpful, particularly if you are in it for the long haul and have higher performance goals. Really - running a marathon on a broken leg? How "helpful" is that? The real wins in training are stringing together months and months and months of steady consistent, daily, repeatable training - not climbing Mount Everest one day, and taking the next 3 - 4 weeks off recovering!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Daniel’s Running Formula by Jack Daniels.

Seconding this. I’ve had to replace a few copies after it became so marked up and worn from loaning (imposing) it on anyone who has ever asked me for running advice.

Related story: after using the book for about 10-15 years, I decided to open myself up to a different set of eyes on things, and paid local TO coach Megan Brown about 300 bucks for “customized” season paling, coaching and guidance. She delivered to me verbatim excerpted contents of the book, including VDOT progression and paces, and a daniels weekly plan, passed off as her own customized work. What a POS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AZDesert wrote:
What books do you all like regarding training? I'm not referring to books with training plans, but more so the physiology behind what we do. I have a kinesiology background and love numbers, metrics, etc.
The only one I've found and have started reading so far is Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Andrew Coggan and Hunter Allen.
Any other suggestions?

I almost forgot about a really good general resource on training: Tudor Bompa's "Theory and Methodology of Training, The Key to Athletic Performance". Dr. Bompa is a prof at York University in Toronto and in this 380 page book he covers literally every single facet of training for any sport. Per Wiki, he has also written 18 other books on training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Bompa

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [dfrohock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Ordered and received, now read and apply!!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
do some of these training book suggestions address the older endurance human

Joe Friel has a book called Fast after 50 on this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
AZDesert wrote:
What books do you all like regarding training? I'm not referring to books with training plans, but more so the physiology behind what we do. I have a kinesiology background and love numbers, metrics, etc.
The only one I've found and have started reading so far is Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Andrew Coggan and Hunter Allen.
Any other suggestions?

I almost forgot about a really good general resource on training: Tudor Bompa's "Theory and Methodology of Training, The Key to Athletic Performance". Dr. Bompa is a prof at York University in Toronto and in this 380 page book he covers literally every single facet of training for any sport. Per Wiki, he has also written 18 other books on training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Bompa

I was stunned when you said he works at Toronto uni...
I had to look that up I was sure he had to be 80 at least turns out he is 92 years old lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly training plan books but Sport Gene and Endure were two really good reads. I just picked up Endure & finished it. Two really good books that go through the science of performance, limiting factors, how to push boundaries, etc. A lot of numbers/metrics but good story telling so they're accessible reads/not super dense even though they're packed with good info.

Daniels & Pfitz are my two running bibles. I self-coached when I started tri & pulled on the principles from those two.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Jan 8, 24 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but I learnt a lot reading “The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing” by Philip Maffetone

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Big Book of ...."

Why does that sound like it should have pictures of bunnies and puppies and kittens and piggies? LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I ordered your book because of this thread, and I'm about 1/4th of the way through. Loving it.

I do have a question, though: In your book, you refer to the LT as the threshold between the moderate and the heavy domain. How does your definition of LT correlate to other authors' LT1 and LT2?

It seems that in your book CP is closer to FTP (and maybe LT2), and your LT is closer to LT1, but it's not really LT1?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Books About Training [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t necessarily know how other authors use (or misuse) particular terms. Generally, LT and LT1 would be a similar intensity. CP as calculated by the 2 parameter model using test efforts of between 2 and 20 minutes duration is generally slightly higher than “FTP”. Again, this is complicated based upon how any one person defines or calculates FTP.

You’ll hit a spot in the book where I discuss the pitfalls of FTP.

Hope you enjoy the book.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply

Prev Next