Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona flights - too early?
Quote | Reply
I am booking SF return flights for October (1 week before and after the race), I am getting about 650 USD/pp in economy with United, before I even pay for any bag or bike. Could it be that it is simply too early (11 months away), or are these fair prices? Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Kona flights - too early? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's too early. You're basically paying the default fares, as full fares haven't been loaded yet.

If you were to open up Google Flights, and just look at prices by month, you'll see that once you get to summer, the stock almost daily $189 (lowest fare found from SFO to KOA) disappears, and it's full of random super-high fares (lowest being $307 stock fares from Hawaiin). That's because while airlines have loaded the flight schedules, and offer tickets for sale, the 'real'/competitive fares haven't been dealt with yet. If you look closely at the fares filed, basically United hasn't filed the lower fares beyond May 31st - thus why all fares are higher.

Now, in some cases, some airlines will refund you the difference if it falls. But chasing that down is a huge waste of time/money usually.

That said, playing with the Kona dates briefly, I'm not seeing any crazy $650/pp United fares. Assuming going in the Sat/Sun before, and then going out the Monday after (28th), I see $347/pp.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a stupid fare, not sure what you are looking at.

I have been going to Kona since 1979 to date, and have never paid more than $400 round trip, usually in the mid 300's. Had a couple in the $200's too. You need to polish your travel agent skills, use google to make comparisons...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I booked RT on Delta already (2 week trip 10/21-11/4).

With Delta, if their prices go below what I paid, they will credit you back the difference.

Still not sure how my bike is getting there though....
Quote Reply