Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim
Quote | Reply
Long story, short - I went tubeless, don't use the race bike enough, so left with hassle of sealant drying / cleaning - now reverted to back to tubes (TPU) - but I've realised that if I get a flat, getting 10/12bar from a small pump to 'pop' the tyre back on the rim after replacing the tube isn't going to work..

So.. instead of running these PZero TLR SL's - I'm looking for a fast/race tyre that can easily be fitting without the need to over inflate? ideas?

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 bar?

I've used all manner of road tubeless including Pirelli, and for those that pop, get it around 2-4 bar. And applied slowly, no need for a "tubeless pump." You must have an weird tire/rim combo.

But to answer your question, the tube-type GP5000S.
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
Long story, short - I went tubeless, don't use the race bike enough, so left with hassle of sealant drying / cleaning - now reverted to back to tubes (TPU) - but I've realised that if I get a flat, getting 10/12bar from a small pump to 'pop' the tyre back on the rim after replacing the tube isn't going to work..

So.. instead of running these PZero TLR SL's - I'm looking for a fast/race tyre that can easily be fitting without the need to over inflate? ideas?

CO2 instead of a small pump will (probably) solve your problem.
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 bar might just pop the tire off the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you put a tube in, there's no danger, even if your tire hasn't fully locked onto the rim like it needs to when setting up tubeless. As you ride, the pressure from you being on the bike will eventually settle the tire onto place of it doesn't fully pop on when inflating the tube.

The "popping on" you mention is a function of the rim, not the tires, and it also will help keep your tire in place in case of a flat. IMO it's a good thing
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Once you put a tube in, there's no danger, even if your tire hasn't fully locked onto the rim like it needs to when setting up tubeless. As you ride, the pressure from you being on the bike will eventually settle the tire onto place of it doesn't fully pop on when inflating the tube.

The "popping on" you mention is a function of the rim, not the tires, and it also will help keep your tire in place in case of a flat. IMO it's a good thing

Not sure about the OP's issue, but for me with Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix and Astral Solstice Rims, I had to use very high pressure initially to get the bead up from the well and on the rim shelf (120+ psi). Without doing so, the tire had a lot of hop. After seating it, I flatted a couple weeks later and with frame pump couldn't get it seated. Riding did not seat it. Rode home with a hop. Maybe not a safety issue, but very disconcerting.

(Note: After six months, I got a flat that did not seal with sealant, I inserted a tube and was able to reseat it with normal pressure.)

Never experienced this before in 30+ years of cycling but upon googling the issue, I learned that new tubeless tires have very strong beads that don't stretch and which can be very tight fit on rim shelf.

I like the Schwalbe tires, but won't get another set for this reason.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
12 bar?

I've used all manner of road tubeless including Pirelli, and for those that pop, get it around 2-4 bar. And applied slowly, no need for a "tubeless pump." You must have an weird tire/rim combo.

But to answer your question, the tube-type GP5000S.

+1 on GP5000s and using CO2 (the CO2 helps with the seating).

That being said, the "pop" isn't necessary; folks have been fixing clincher flats roadside with all manner of tires and frame pumps for decades without issue.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
folks have been fixing clincher flats roadside with all manner of tires and frame pumps for decades without issue.

I said the same thing as you and ran tubeless for a couple years until I recently ran into a problem with a tubeless rim and tire combo that made seating the tire bead a completely new experience -- after four decades with no such trouble.

In case you, or someone else, runs into this issue in the future, I'll explain.

Tubeless is different than old clincher. See this excellent slowtwitch article explaining greater tolerance control on tire diameter. The article also notes how tubeless rims have a bead shelf -- a feature lacking from old clincher rims (see diagram in article or look at an old clincher rim). These two relatively new design features can create a situation where very high pressure (along with lubrication) may be needed to get the tire up onto the bead shelf. (Mentioned in the article as well).

Quote:
That being said, the "pop" isn't necessary;

You can get the pop and still have a section of bead too low in the rim (i.e. bead not up on rim shelf).

In the following Park Tool video, they show how this results in a wobbly tire. Further, if high pressure and lubricant don't work, they recommend letting the tire sit overnight in some cases. Needless to say, that won't do in a roadside repair situation. This is discussed at 6:33 in the video. Sorry I can't get the video to automatically load up to 6:33 so fast forward or in the video description click on "6:33 Sections of bead too low in rim"

So this is a thing, and a new one. You'll know you have the problem when you first mount the tires on your particular rims, in which case your advice to carry CO2 is the way to go in case you need to insert a tube in a roadside repair.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
12 bar?

At least 11 bar (140psi) on my Joe Booster I need to preload to, to get a tyre to pop into place.

Glad to see its not just me who had this issue / thought. Will see how well a co2 does. Thanks

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I deflated one of my tyres - as I had incorrectly fitted a 26mm on the rear and not a 28mm. So thought this was a good time to dry run fitting a innertube and try out the co2 inflator.

Still didn’t seat the tyre correctly… HMMM. Looks like the tyre sits in the dip of the rim well.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you put lubricant (soapy water or spray windex) down on the shelf of rim and on bead of tire?

What rims and what tires?

________
Quote Reply
Re: (Non Tubeless) Race Tyres that don't need 'popping' on to a rim [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve just ordered some Schwalbe Easy Fit so will try that.

Tyres are PZero 26mm (and 28mm rear) TLR SL’s with TPU tubes
Rims are Ron Wheel AeronX (with 19mm internal width)

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Schwalbe Easy Fit

LOL. So I thought, "wow, Schwalbe makes easy fit tires -- the one set I've had were anything but easy." So I looked it up and see it is just mounting lube.

I'm going to stick to dishwashing detergent mixed with water or windex until I see a white paper on this subject that tells me otherwise.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I'm going to stick to dishwashing detergent mixed with water or windex until I see a white paper on this subject that tells me otherwise.

Oh I agree - Only got this as it will (hopefully) fit in my spare bag with tube and levers if in the event I have issues while out racing - but yeah for at home with time, some soapy water is free / better

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update..

Tried soapy water, sticking the wheel and tyres outside to warm up - I got them on / off and on again but still had to get them to 8bar before they popped on.

So going to give this a go - New for 2023 - Pirelli P-Zero Race TT - which are not tubeless compatible so I hope don't need such force to get them on the rims...

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/bike/tyres/catalogue/p-zero-race-tt

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply