Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick should sponsor a clydesdale IM world championship. I submit my qualifying time of 10:46 at 200lbs at IM Chattanooga for consideration :) Running is tough for bigger fellas. Massive props to Nick for this result and I really hope he does another ironman.

I'd be very surprised if there's a bigger stronger guy that can run a faster marathon than nick.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [garyboytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, you are not in the clydesdale division. Clydesdale starts at 220lbs. I always thought the weights between Athena and Clydesdale weren't fair comparisons to each other.

https://www.triathlete.com/events/usat-announces-inaugural-clydesdale-athena-nationals/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, 10-4. They need a light heavyweight addition.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [garyboytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally I live between 195-205...so I was never heavy enough for the local clydesdale division. The guys who always got first were absolute machines though.

Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [buzzsaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzzsaw wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:
lastlap wrote:
Huge gains besides the obvious ability to train more/recover maintain muscle mass, it pumps your muscles chock a block full of glycogen...Check out guys who get on the gear, their weight goes up dramatically in a matter of weeks-some of it is of course muscle but a lot of it is increased glycogen and water retention. Thats why when they go off they shrink quite a bit.

Spot on. A friend of mine is a pretty big deal in combat sport, he's trained some world champions. Says you can tell right away who's on the stuff as their ability to recover from the hardest work goes through the roof. You can train a 40 year old like an 18 year old and he just comes back wanting more the next day. Stuff that would have buried him a month earlier. And because of that, they can get so much more out of a training cycle/camp.

Also, no such thing as a stupid Q in this space. No idea what this guy is doing, but if people are using, that has a huge impact on results. Folks out there trying to set expectations/goals really need to be aware.

Bare posted a video saying he pretty much was fully recovered from the marathon immediately after, and could have gone for a run the next day. Any guesses what cycle he's on?

It's not the drugs but the shoes. My buddy ran 2:38 at this race and 5 days later 5mi tempo @ 5:40 pace. Also others in Strava I follow similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:
lastlap wrote:
Huge gains besides the obvious ability to train more/recover maintain muscle mass, it pumps your muscles chock a block full of glycogen...Check out guys who get on the gear, their weight goes up dramatically in a matter of weeks-some of it is of course muscle but a lot of it is increased glycogen and water retention. Thats why when they go off they shrink quite a bit.

Spot on. A friend of mine is a pretty big deal in combat sport, he's trained some world champions. Says you can tell right away who's on the stuff as their ability to recover from the hardest work goes through the roof. You can train a 40 year old like an 18 year old and he just comes back wanting more the next day. Stuff that would have buried him a month earlier. And because of that, they can get so much more out of a training cycle/camp.

Also, no such thing as a stupid Q in this space. No idea what this guy is doing, but if people are using, that has a huge impact on results. Folks out there trying to set expectations/goals really need to be aware.

Bare posted a video saying he pretty much was fully recovered from the marathon immediately after, and could have gone for a run the next day. Any guesses what cycle he's on?

It's not the drugs but the shoes. My buddy ran 2:38 at this race and 5 days later 5mi tempo @ 5:40 pace. Also others in Strava I follow similar.

Do you work in marketing for Nike? You should.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys need to make up your mind. I just bought super shoes based off his reply but now cancelled the order based off yours. Can I hold a 6' mile for a marathon with them or not?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
You guys need to make up your mind. I just bought super shoes based off his reply but now cancelled the order based off yours. Can I hold a 6' mile for a marathon with them or not?

I ran CIM and did not run 6ā€™ miles, nor was I able to do a 5:40 tempo run last week. In fact, Monday I could barely walk stairs! So hopefully you didnā€™t order vaporfly, because thatā€™s what I ran in and they clearly arenā€™t as super as the Saucony Nick Bare ran in. FFS, I didnā€™t even match my non-ā€˜super shoeā€™ PR now that I think about it. Iā€™m gonna get my money back.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just leave it with a quote by Des Linden about super shoes "they make a marathon feel like a 22 mile run"
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watch some of Nick's videos-- he used to be local to me living just north of Austin which is why I think he showed up in my Youtube feed. When he was here and still doing tri training videos I would try and goad him into the SwimRun race here by commenting on his Youtube but it didn't work. I found his tri career pretty disappointing to be honest-- I don't think he ever did an actual local race in Austin, his swimming is garbage, and he seemed to really just be after some brand clout by doing Ironman races.

I think his running progression is very impressive but keep in mind 1) has unlimited access to high quality (I assume) supplements and takes them religiously, 2) has a good coach and follows that plan, 3) has the resources to pretty much build a gym where ever he goes (and also go through super shoes), 4) while I'm sure he's busy, he has plenty of time to train a couple hours a day, and 5) has a big support staff of people filming him, carrying his nutrition, etc in addition to the coaching. Most folks don't have any of those things.

I like that bench press challenge, but I'll need to lose a few lbs to get back down to 165.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People keep forgetting that he had like a 5 years of decent run mileage as an Infantry officer. The numbers are less impressive or maybe I'm just not surprised at the numbers because I know his background. Yet many on this board seem to be super impressed about it but really have such a disconnect to the service to understand that at the platoon leader level, especially in the infantry, you have to be a beast or you get eaten up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

update, my buddy who id 2:38 at cim, 5 mile tempo week after, and today 2 weeks after a 1:14 half.
His brother 2:51 at CIM, 1:20 half today

What I am saying about the shoes is, not only there is the slight propulsion assistance but the big factor less damage on the legs so you can train more. Kind of like how swimmers do high volume to be faster since there is no impact on the body at hard efforts.

Ive been tracking other runners and seen some college kids train up to 3 times a day at these crazy paces. Although ive seen a few burn out mentally. Dont know how swimmers go forever in the pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I'll just leave it with a quote by Des Linden about super shoes "they make a marathon feel like a 22 mile run"

Thatā€™s a pretty good description. I think you are aware of this, but thereā€™s evidence that excessive use of shoes with carbon fiber plates leads to plantar fasciitis. Mot that anyone agrees with you here(!) but I suppose whoever laughs lastā€¦.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
I watch some of Nick's videos-- he used to be local to me living just north of Austin which is why I think he showed up in my Youtube feed. When he was here and still doing tri training videos I would try and goad him into the SwimRun race here by commenting on his Youtube but it didn't work.

I saw him at the quarry once. I watched him regularly and got a chuckle out how it looks like he was swimming alone.

He's very flexible but when it comes to swimming he has limited mobility. I don't know how else to describe it.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Iā€™ve done a lot of racing over the years, and I think I can say that the number of times Iā€™ve finished a race and said ā€œI paced that greatā€ is maybe once. A 5k. Half Ironmans, half marathons, marathons, Ironmans, etc. never done a great job. But that ONE 5k, ha! //

I hear you brother, I have blown up and limped in more times than I can count. Maybe out of the 1000+ Multisport races I have done, I paced it perfect maybe 30 times. But I do have to say that if I had this little watch that I wear on my wrist now everyday, I would have done much better in a lot of those races, especially the running ones. I would say about 5% of the old time running races had accurate mile markers, so forget about checking your pace, and when we did finally have HR monitors, it took awhile to figure them out and how to use them on racedays...My little 6 week 40mpw marathon experiment during the beginning of the Tri season might have been just a wee bit faster. But looking back I'm kind of glad I had no information other than how I felt, and running with a pack of old dudes that passed me at mile 10 doing 5;40 pace. Nick ran a great even race, the kind to be proud of for sure. But when you look at all those even splits, could he have gone faster and still held on? That was the question we got to ask over and over of ourselves in those old days, and it usually got answered on the race course. I went from a 2;32 pace at mile 24, to finishing in a 2;36. Yes the 40mpw was problematic, but I got to answer that question and was quite happy later that I did.

The new tech is great and has advanced the sport and times tremendously. But sometimes I really enjoy watching someone race old school, throw it all out the window, and just race the racers. It mostly happens in ITU these days, no time to check the stats, just hang until you can't anymore, and let the chips fall where the fall...Ha! another ST tangent and not one mention of, well you know who....(-;

If you enjoy old school racing (the best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die) you may enjoy watching Parker Valby--a distance runner at the University of Florida. She recently won the women's NCAA cross country championship and two weeks later broke the NCAA woman's record for the 5000 in a time of 14:46. She broke the record by about 16 seconds and did it on an indoor track (her time broke the indoor and outdoor records). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhVdG4vRDbY

And get this, she only runs three times/week (at most 30 miles) and cross trains the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWuLgqJmE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQ-0gmAA5s
Last edited by: imsparticus: Dec 19, 23 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Gators.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I have a good friend who worships this guy. I think Nick is a good athlete, but I have to also wonder if he is aware of the disservice he is doing. My friend has an athletic background, is very fit, but itā€™s mostly gym muscle. Nick has given him a false hope, that he can also be a respectably performing endurance athlete. Iā€™ve never seen anyone work so hard, and keep coming up short. DNFā€™s at Ironman (he did get one finish just under cut-off) and marathons. He doesnā€™t want to loose his muscle and strength. He puts in the miles and long runs etc, but it just isnā€™t working. Iā€™ve preached about serving two masters, and all that crap, and have tried to convince him that he could loose 40 pounds and run like the windā€¦ but very often his reply has been yeah but Nick ā€¦. Lalalalalalaā€¦.šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«. Last month I tried to pace him to a marathon PR. His training was impressive, and I thought he had a chance. But it really hurt, seeing this big guy struggling so bad at race pace, and dropping out at the half. Even after the race it was yeah but Nickā€¦.. and I was like fuck Nick, if he was there I would have punched him in the face. Well ok, maybe not, the dude could bench press my skinny ass to moon. But, my friend is clean as a whistle, and this whole Nick Bare thing has only set him up for repeated disappointment.
Have a similar friend although running isn't so important to him as the gym muscle is. Maybe your friend is the same, he wants both but the gym muscle is really the bigger want. I just shake my head because in general like you said, it's one or the other. But that guy Nick...

I'm also skeptical, but that's not founded in anything other than my gut feeling.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something about the arm swinging and streamlining off walls a gazillion times over the life of a swimmer does something for the over head flexibility - whether that is good for the shoulder joint is another questions. I must need to go talk to my therapist again because it always makes me happy when these roided up YTers that talk about how good they are... but when they start swimming even god turns her head away
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes sub 2:40 for CIM marathon [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I'm also skeptical, but that's not founded in anything other than my gut feeling.

Also your eyeballs and brain.
Quote Reply

Prev Next