Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [Fish.girl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just here to reiterate electronic shifting. We no longer allow mechanically shifted bikes in our house.

Reasons:
  1. Ease of maintenance
  2. Ease of maintenance
  3. Ease of maintenance
  4. It shifts faster, smoother, and more reliably. Is truly a joy to ride.
  5. Lower human effort of shifting. You don't realize how much energy a shift takes while going hard, until you no longer have to spend that energy.
  6. Ease of tuning to accurate shifting. Can be done while riding.

The bottom 3 are luxuries, which I love. The top 3 are why I've outlawed mechanically shifted bikes in our stable. (We have 6 for 3 people).

I have never heard of anyone wishing they'd gone mechanical after owning electronic. I've heard countless people who have both kinds of bikes kick themselves for not splurging on their one mechanical bike to have gotten electronic.

That said, if you find replacing cables and housing once or twice a year to be a cathartic experience more enjoyable than actually riding your bike, by all means, get mechanical!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [l'arbitrageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Well, I would be the one generally trying to keep “stuff” to a minimum in our house. We live on a boat, which means bikes live in a storage unit a mile or so away (it’s amazing how much corrosion will happen in only a week or two!). Mike has two bikes, I have one, plus my trusty LeMonde trainer that lives on the back deck (that thing is a BEAST!). I’m already fretting over juggling a road bike for me in the storage unit; the idea of buying something just to store it or try to sell it just isn’t my style. My goal is to find something that might not be perfect, but is perfect enough. And there have been enough folks raving about electronic shifting that I at least have to test ride one so I at least know what I am missing. Stay tuned!
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
if you find replacing cables and housing once or twice a year to be a cathartic experience more enjoyable than actually riding your bike, by all means, get mechanical!

Is this really a thing? I literally go years at a time without changing cables/housing. In fact, I've only done it once, and that was due to a groupset upgrade. Every other bike I've had I've either sold with its original cables or am still rocking the cables/housing I started with. Within the first couple of months I usually have to adjust the derailleur/cable tension, but otherwise, for me, mechanical is mostly set-and-forget. I always use the highest quality cables/housing I can though, and have no problem making tweaks to screws/cables, though I get that some people aren't willing/able to do their own wrenching. I'm also typically riding <8,000km/year so maybe higher mileage folks go through that stuff quicker.

So my N=1 is the "ease of maintenance" thing is a little baffling. And I'll counter that I've had electronic ruin a ride twice, once due to having a dead battery and needing to wait to charge it, and once due the derailleur spontaneously deciding to stop shifting mid-ride, and electronic is basically un-fixable roadside, unlike mechanical (in this case needed to download new firmware).

Do people actually replace their cables/housing twice a year?
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much you ride and what conditions you ride in. My gravel bike probably needs the cables replaced twice a year for optimal shifting. Road bike I'll do once a year, but that's best practice in general for newer Shimano mechanical because there are issues with the shift cables breaking right below the head.
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Do people actually replace their cables/housing twice a year?

No way. I replace it as-needed. And if it's well sealed, it's rarely needed. My 2019 Stumpjumper has original cable/housing. I've done the hydraulic fluid a few times, that's it. And it's a bike I use heavily. If it shifts/drops great and shows no sign of cable wear at the shifters/derailleur/dropper, why mess with it?

Cable-actuated brakes are different. I'd do those on a schedule, as they're under far more tension than a shifter or dropper cable, and the consequences of snapping one can be far worse. Still not twice a year, though. Annually for a heavily-used bike, less often for a race-only bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the PNW. It’s wet always, and mildly humid almost always. My wife rides 100-500 miles a week year round. I used to ride about half that until we became parents. When I am negligent about maintenance to the point that I let the rear shifter cable deteriorate and don’t change it until it snaps, it takes 9-12 months for the cable to break due to rust.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from MTB (and podiuming with it!) to road bike - how “big” to go [Fish.girl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you live, but some multisport shops rent bikes. Both road bike and tri bikes.

I would even for just training rent one of each for a week or so and ride it the most you can stand it to see what you think.

As far as being worried jumping in price wise? If you rent something and have a preference maybe start out buying into someone else's regret.........a nice used bike. Find a local tri group and convince someone to look over a used purchase with you to point things out.

As far as what you're sounding like looking for, maybe a 32mm tubeless equipped endurance road bike like an Emonda or Domane. We have folks in our group that ride them both road, and gravel. Same tires, same bike. Could put clip on bars on either. Either would have the gearing you like.

I always point to the tri bike being the right tool for the job, but know it's a stretch of the mind for lots of folks. So at least perhaps rent one "just to see" what it's all about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish.girl1 wrote:
it’s quite likely that whatever I decide on will probably be the last “race” bike I buy, so finding that sweet spot of modern with some bells n whistles without being over the top is what I am aiming for.

Good idea. In 2006 I got a then-new Cervelo Dual as my last race bike, still riding it today and don't feel I am slowed down by the bike..
I like Dan's idea, the Caledonia is right in that sweet spot. That price is really tempting. I blew my discretionary spending on a new canoe this year though, will have to wait a bit..

in the high dry CO air, it's about five years between cable/housing replacements on my primary road bike. The MTB is on original cables from 2010..
For a race bike though I'd prefer electronic shifting for the reasons already mentioned - faster shifts, more accurate and less effort, better aero due to all the missing cables.
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 5, 23 13:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next