Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strava subscription?
Quote | Reply
Is it worth it? If so, what parts make it worth it for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:

I like their route builder with the heat map, helps plan training. Connects to my Garmins pretty seamlessly. It could be a lot better though, and there may be free options that do same (does Garmin Connect have a route builder?).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think being able to see more of the different segment leaderboards, plus route planning were the 2 main advantages for me
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route building is the only thing that's ever tempted me to Strava subscription. Garmin Connect does have a route builder. It's not perfect, but good enough (like most of Garmin Connect). Though not even Strava was perfect for me...I tried a trial subscription, but canceled it after trying one route. Forget the details.....it was a long time ago so maybe Strava is better now.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Garmin Connect route builder often. I like it cuz it works but not perfect like you said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:

Nothing! It is an absolute joke, or maybe im not target audience for strava.

You get.close to nothing performance wise. Their freshness it worse than training peaks and not available on phone??!?!?

Cant plan training or anything either. It is SoMe for endurance people and that part is fine in basic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:

I like it cuz I'm an idiot and whenever I unsubscribe I feel like I'm missing something out and never use anything. And also I feel like it's the cheapest thing I pay for in triathlon so that makes me feel better about myself
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
tedtri wrote:

I like it cuz I'm an idiot and whenever I unsubscribe I feel like I'm missing something out and never use anything. And also I feel like it's the cheapest thing I pay for in triathlon so that makes me feel better about myself

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The route creator is about the only thing that makes it worth it, but that ability to create routes for long rides does actually make the subscription worth paying for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Route building is the only thing that's ever tempted me to Strava subscription. Garmin Connect does have a route builder. It's not perfect, but good enough (like most of Garmin Connect). Though not even Strava was perfect for me...I tried a trial subscription, but canceled it after trying one route. Forget the details.....it was a long time ago so maybe Strava is better now.

Unlikely. Strava moves slower than Training Peaks. I fought with strava route builder to go where I want more than GC.

The few times I need a route builder (mostly race courses) garmin connect does what I need....and it's free.

Strava is purely social for me. I refuse to pay for social...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, for sure.
It's so inexpensive relative to frequency of use and features utilized.

Clubs (ride and events notices)
Maps/routes
Fitness and freshness (when used with GC)
Activity logging
Comparing myself against myself

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a unpaid user for a long time and recently received s limited duration no-cost trial of the 'full' version (a month or two IIRC). The approach backfired for Strava b/c I found very little of use and nothing of 'must have' in the full version, so I just let the trial lapse and returned to being a free(loading) subscriber.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Comparing myself against myself

Actually, this is another feature I value as well. You can create a segment, leave it private if you want, and use it to keep track of your performances over that segment over time. In my case I had 3-4 running loops I used for interval training/etc and it was nice to see performances over time (many years in my case). I moved recently and haven't gotten around to finding/building new loops, but it's a useful feature IMO.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only found the subscription of value when I've traveled to unknown places & used their heat maps to keep me out of the hood on runs or rides. Otherwise, I imagine most of the comments in this thread exposes their weak business model.

Here's another opinion I ran across recently; semi-timely & fairly accurate to my feelings...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

- Garmin's route builder is pretty inaccurate; the elevation estimates vary significantly from Strava's and the totals from riding the route. Strava's elevation estimates come in very close to actuals from my Garmin.
-The Garmin route builder also has less intuitive routing from my experience but that's much more subjective.
- Only good thing about Garmin's courses is the Power Guide feature and mostly seamless integration with Strava Routes.
- IME, Strava Routes is also useable on mobile, which is a plus.
- Strava/Garmin's intermittent inclusion of segments and 0 course points on my Garmin are kinda annoying though.

Overall, after the price increases to a pretty indefensible price point, I actively ideate about canceling my Strava membersip. Comparing my performance to prior results does provide some motivation though so, along with the routing features, I guess I'm keeping it.
Last edited by: aravilare: Nov 30, 23 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fitness or freshness metrics are pretty meaningless and have never correlated with my performances.

As someone else said, I like comparing myself against myself. this gets better as the years pass and I have more past data to compare myself on. As a relatively latecomer to multisport I'm only now doing things like "doing the same race 2 years in a row and seeing how I improved". Being able to track that in Strava is fun.

I also like the social aspect and the kudos etc. Strava isn't perfect but it's (usually) one of the few non-toxic or non-mental illness inducing social media platforms.

The world's only show focused on duathlon ðŸƒâ€â™‚ï¸ðŸš²ðŸƒâ€â™‚ï¸
NEW EP: How to Win a 5k
https://podcasts.apple.com/...0739?i=1000641392144
https://open.spotify.com/...1ClQ5bg4dTYQjPdCR7x0
https://sites.google.com/view/andrewdbrown
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [TheDuathlonShow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it...

1) Voyeurism:
A) I follow professional athletes, friends, and acquaintances.
There is always someone doing something interesting.
The "flyover" feature gives you a virtual topographical replay of these activities.
I can get a replay of someone racing a bike over a mountain pass in northern Norway.
Or a replay of someone running fast through parks in Mexico city.
B) I can relive some of my own workouts through this feature.

2) Mindless competition...
A) KOM and segment records are often incorrect or stupid. But ....
It IS entertaining to see if you can "set a record" riding up some little known hill.
Or see how you stack up against Sepp Kuss or Lionel Saunders on a well known route

3) Following the training of friends, and occasionally commenting on workouts - is a good way to stay in touch.

I don't find the training metrics or map features unique or particularly valuable.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 30, 23 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use heatmaps to discover new trails around where I live and also use it when I travel to see where people run. I also like the training log.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava subscription? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find GC has the features I need. The route builder is sufficient, but when I really do want to create a route, I use plotaroute.com instead.

GC coupled with Intervals.icu is great. If you wanna put money somewhere, try intervals.
Quote Reply