Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P5X for sprint and Olympic distance races?
Quote | Reply
Looking at a P5X but I basically do sprints and Olympic races. Reviews stress the storage and comfort for IM distance racing, and that it’s not a lightweight bike. Wondering if this bike might actually be slower than my BMC TT01 or my older shiv in shorter distances?
Last edited by: vonschnapps: Nov 18, 23 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: PX5 for sprint and Olympic distance races? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a PX5?

Have they revamped the PX? Or changed the P5X?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd think the P5D is the bike for you, not the P5x
Quote Reply
Re: PX5 for sprint and Olympic distance races? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
What is a PX5?

Have they revamped the PX? Or changed the P5X?

My mistake, P5X
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P3X. They are heavy and ideal for shorter races. I ended up getting a P5D as well for the sprints or hilly courses. A little easier to throw it around in these scenarios.
Quote Reply
Re: PX5 for sprint and Olympic distance races? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.

I have a P5D. Wanted a PX as a bit lighter than P5X, but would only really use for an IM and I race mostly half’s.
Quote Reply
Re: P5X for sprint and Olympic distance races? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s true the P5x is heavy. But it’s only “heavy” in the bike world. Realistically, it’s 3-4 lbs heavier than a similarly high end tri bike. That sounds like a lot, until you realize it’s basically the same weight difference that you get from a set of 24oz bottles when they’re empty vs full. Have you ever considered dumping your bottles in a race because they were so heavy, they were slowing you down? Do you even notice most of the time between when your bottles are full and empty?

You read a million times aero trumps weight, and it does. And again, we aren’t talking 10, 20 or 30 lbs - we are talking just a few. It’s hard to get the weight of the P5x out of your head especially if you have to carry it up the stairs from the basement every time you ride, but you will be fast in 99.999% of the races out there.

Fwiw, I had a BMC TM01 and got a P5x, and was significantly faster. Not just because it’s a faster frame, but the wide range of fitting options it offers allowed me to get into a much better position.

Re: P5X for sprint and Olympic distance races? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about other people but P5X & P3X look so ugly to me. It's just too much. P-Series and P5D look simple, nimble, fast and they are actually lighter. I would go with p5D or P-Series. They will serve your purpose in Sprint & Olympic distance races more than enough.
Quote Reply
Re: P5X for sprint and Olympic distance races? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The p5x will be faster, because aero testing tells us so. Weight will be unnoticeable (not really much heavier anyway). Wheel weight will matter more with acceleration out of corners and short steep hills. Seems to be opinion that you need a light bike to "throw it around". Fair enough if you're doing Tour de France prologues in town centres. How many sprint and Oly tris are like this, realistically? If you really need something to throw around twisty courses then an aero road bike with clip ons would be faster for most in this scenario.

Benefit of the p5x is that you can change the pad drop in less than a minute if you want to get lower for shorter distances.
Quote Reply