Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you think makes a good coach, and why?
Quote | Reply
Hey all, figured why not ask a big question, both as someone studying a sports coaching degree and someone looking to potentially move into commercial coaching...

What do you think makes a good coach, and why?

Following on from that, if you were looking at getting a coach/changing coaches, what would you be looking for and why?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think makes a good coach, and why? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ability to set you up to reach your (realistic) goals while working around your schedule and within your constraints. Ability to adjust the schedule on the fly, as needed based on things that come up. Also, supplies the level and type of communication you specifically require. And, of course, fits your budget.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Last edited by: DKMNTRI: Nov 14, 23 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The obvious and worst answer - it depends.
It depends on the current ability of the athlete, their goals, and their budget among many other things. Not all coaches can have the knowledge of Dan Lorang, and not all athletes can afford to be coached by someone like Dan Lorang so they must assess what a ā€œgood enoughā€ coach looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think makes a good coach, and why? [MP1664] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™d say this far from the worst answer, as specificity to a particular athlete and their goals, and creating that understanding and coach-athlete relationship is such a big part of successful coaching.
In my experience, the best coaches Iā€™ve had have been those who seem to ā€˜buy inā€™ to my goals, and it feels like tackling a challenge together. Iā€™d argue having the most knowledge isnā€™t the auto-qualifier for the best coach; as the ability to communicate and deliver that information in a way that your athlete can understand and relate to is so crucial to it being effective.

I like the analogy of a primary vs secondary teacher (very young vs mid/late teens for any other countries school systems). The primary teacher may have less in depth knowledge of their subject as they arenā€™t teaching to that depth, but theyā€™re equally skilled in my eyes. They need to be able to deliver learning and maintain engagement in a very different environment with a potentially more easily distracted/less used to school as such group. Compare this to a GCSE optional module teacher; they are teaching in far more depth, but to a group that has chosen to do their subject, and is (hopefully) more focused in a learning environment.
Two different skill sets, requiring different levels of subject knowledge but also arguably different levels of pedagogical knowledge to cater to their different pupils.

Just an analogy that shows imo the importance of how differing skill sets make a better practitioner in different environments, whether that be within education or coaching.

Please tell me if Iā€™ve made sense; itā€™s been a long day and I canā€™t tell if it does or not haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect sense, and a good analogy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you what makes a bad coach... trying to sell you something other than coaching services.

Books
Testing services
Nutrition products
Pseudoscientific crap like crystals, horoscopes, chiropractic, homeopathy, anti-aging, etc.
Advocating for specific diets like HCLF, vegan, keto, raw food, etc.

For some reason I just thought of Ben Greenfield.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this will help

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ood%20coach#p7706549

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply