Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running and competing on crutches
Quote | Reply
I always check the regional cross- and trailrunning events.
Now I've seen a male competitor (M70 agegroup) competing on crutches for about 2 years doing it almost every weekend.
This weekend he did a 48:40 on a 8,6 k really muddy, slippery up and down race. I could provide pics if anyone is interested ...
Is this hardcore?
Would you do it?

There are most of the time crutch-less competitors slower than him.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and competing on crutches [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in a local road running series, score 7 best races plus participation points. If I was on crutches late in the year and needed more points I’d cover the distance on crutches for them haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? If you can't run or walk without crutches, why not do something else? Swim or bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember about 20 years ago at Wildflower in the Olympic distance race, Emilio DeSoto was able to swim and bike but had to use crutches to get around due to some injury or whatever. So he did the run with his crutches. This was obviously before the advent of Aqua Bike division at races. Think he still did pretty good overall.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Running and competing on crutches [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Why? If you can't run or walk without crutches, why not do something else? Swim or bike.

A bike and access to a pool is expensive. I see a few poor people in Tijuana competing on crutches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was an undergraduate and again in grad school I dated a woman named Linda Down who had been on crutches her whole life, along with her sister Laura; the cause was some congenital disorder I no longer remember the details of. They could move along on them at a rapid clip on most surfaces; faster than many people walked. Walking without crutches was possible for short distances but extremely awkward. Linda would go on to run the New York City marathon entirely on crutches in 1982; she was the first person ever to do so.

https://guideposts.org/...ng/running-on-faith/

As the story concludes -

"The next morning I was shocked to learn I’d been invited to join Alberto Salazar and Grete Waitz, the winners of that year’s marathon, at the White House to be congratulated by President Reagan. It turned out that I was the first woman ever to finish the marathon on crutches."
Quote Reply
Re: Running and competing on crutches [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've completed sprint to Ironman on crutches, really enjoyed myself too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could have done with some crutches after Alpr de Huez tri. Does that count?
Quote Reply