Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM
Quote | Reply
From 2009-2019 I raced around 35 times, mostly sprint, but also 5 olympic, 4 half and 2 full. I got decently fast at sprint distance including a handful of podiums at local races but as soon as the distance increased, I got much slower (PRs of 2:42/6:25/15:00:00). My last race was a full distance in august of 2019. The pandemic stopped my racing and drastically reduced my training. I haven't swum since that last race, my total run mileage in these 4 years has been less than many of my yearly totals before the pandemic, but my bike mileage has remained in an okay spot. I haven't felt much of a desire to race and have enjoyed not having to juggle 3 sports, but I'm getting a little bit of an itch to do a full distance next year.

Part of what is driving that desire is digging a little into my previous full distance preps and reminding myself how poorly prepared I was. Both races were 3rd weekend in August and from January-July I trained a total of 180 and 186 hours. In 2014 I trained 13 hours between January and February and in 2019 I hit 14 for the same time period. In 2019, I didn't even run for the first 7 weeks of the year (not because of injury). I know there is so much low hanging fruit, just by training more consistently and having more total hours trained. And I want to prove I can do that.

With all of this said, I wouldn't be looking to do something incredibly ambitious. I just want to prove I can train properly and lower my time. In 2014 I did Mont Tremblant in 15:17:59 and in 2019 I did Peasantman (116mi bike) in 15:00:44. Both courses have around 5,000ft of climbing and I'd be looking at doing IM Maryland next year. I've already gone 6:25:04 at Eagleman. I would just love to go very low 14 hours at IMMD or just under. Nothing crazy.

If I aim to hit something like 300 hours total January-Sept, I think this should be quite doable. I don't want this to consume me. I've got full support from my wife, but in the past I've become too obsessed, and I've enjoyed not having that the last four years.

Thoughts? Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from 4 years of some biking, little running and no swimming, heading to full distance with 36 weeks, averaging 8h/wk, sounds like a suicide mission to me
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Nov 10, 23 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
From 2009-2019 I raced around 35 times, mostly sprint, but also 5 olympic, 4 half and 2 full. I got decently fast at sprint distance including a handful of podiums at local races but as soon as the distance increased, I got much slower (PRs of 2:42/6:25/15:00:00). My last race was a full distance in august of 2019. The pandemic stopped my racing and drastically reduced my training. I haven't swum since that last race, my total run mileage in these 4 years has been less than many of my yearly totals before the pandemic, but my bike mileage has remained in an okay spot. I haven't felt much of a desire to race and have enjoyed not having to juggle 3 sports, but I'm getting a little bit of an itch to do a full distance next year.

Part of what is driving that desire is digging a little into my previous full distance preps and reminding myself how poorly prepared I was. Both races were 3rd weekend in August and from January-July I trained a total of 180 and 186 hours. In 2014 I trained 13 hours between January and February and in 2019 I hit 14 for the same time period. In 2019, I didn't even run for the first 7 weeks of the year (not because of injury). I know there is so much low hanging fruit, just by training more consistently and having more total hours trained. And I want to prove I can do that.

With all of this said, I wouldn't be looking to do something incredibly ambitious. I just want to prove I can train properly and lower my time. In 2014 I did Mont Tremblant in 15:17:59 and in 2019 I did Peasantman (116mi bike) in 15:00:44. Both courses have around 5,000ft of climbing and I'd be looking at doing IM Maryland next year. I've already gone 6:25:04 at Eagleman. I would just love to go very low 14 hours at IMMD or just under. Nothing crazy.

If I aim to hit something like 300 hours total January-Sept, I think this should be quite doable. I don't want this to consume me. I've got full support from my wife, but in the past I've become too obsessed, and I've enjoyed not having that the last four years.

Thoughts? Advice?

If I were coaching someone with a similar ask, I would say let's get started now with a very conservative building of basic hours. After consistent work through the spring, it would be very clear as to whether a full in 2024 is a good idea or not. I'd say do not sign up for IMMD yet (And it won't fill up anyways so no need).

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Coming from 4 years of some biking, little running and no swimming, heading to full distance with 36 weeks, averaging 8h/wk, sounds like a suicide mission to me

I'm sure this won't change your mind, but it will end up being 38 weeks from January 1 to race day. And I'll have all the training I've been doing the last couple of months, which may be low in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not coming off the couch (except for swimming).
Quote Reply
Re: Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Thoughts? Advice?

If I were coaching someone with a similar ask, I would say let's get started now with a very conservative building of basic hours. After consistent work through the spring, it would be very clear as to whether a full in 2024 is a good idea or not. I'd say do not sign up for IMMD yet (And it won't fill up anyways so no need).

That is my plan. I've slowly gotten back into running since June. I'm over 2000mi biking for the year (2900mi last year). I may have made it seem like I'm coming off the couch, but I'm not.

My plan was also to start January 1 and build all three sports back up slowly. Nothing crazy, try to average around 8 or 9 hours/week and slowly building that through April where I would then switch into IM mode for May-Sept.

I was also thinking about waiting to sign up as I've seen recent years where it's open through the summer. I was wondering, does the base price go up every few months like local races? I'm a little tempted to sign up 'early' to get the Flex90 plan that allows for deferment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flex 90 would be good if you plan to do it in the next 2 years.

Why not start building back all 3 now?

Quote Reply
Re: Importance/effects of overall hours trained for IM [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:

Well the idea would definitely be to do it in 2024, but it's nice knowing there's an option to defer if needed. I'm definitely thinking about starting soon. I've currently been in a run focus that is planned to end in 3 weeks. I don't like training too much during the last few weeks of the year with the stress of the holidays, so even if I start soon it won't be much until the new year.

What are your thoughts on overall hours though? I got through my previous 2 full distance races on 180 and 186 hours and I'm thinking with consistent training, I could hit around 250 hours, if not more. That's got to make a massive difference, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it if it is what inspires you to train. I did the race when it was Chesapeake Man and also Eagleman. The swim is difficult so don't neglect your swim training. The bike and run are about going forward on a completely flat course. If you have a good day, you will be able to lower your time. If you have a bad day, if it inspired you to train between now and then, then it is still a success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

Well the idea would definitely be to do it in 2024, but it's nice knowing there's an option to defer if needed. I'm definitely thinking about starting soon. I've currently been in a run focus that is planned to end in 3 weeks. I don't like training too much during the last few weeks of the year with the stress of the holidays, so even if I start soon it won't be much until the new year.

What are your thoughts on overall hours though? I got through my previous 2 full distance races on 180 and 186 hours and I'm thinking with consistent training, I could hit around 250 hours, if not more. That's got to make a massive difference, right?

That's impossible to answer. But, again, if I were coaching you, it would be a consistent building up of hours based on your recovery, feedback, and growth. Also, what fits in your lifestyle and what you want. I'm of the mindset that most people under 50 can go 14-15 hours on 8-10 hours/week of training for 4-5 months...but that doesn't mean I recommend it.

Quote Reply