Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space
Quote | Reply
Crowdsourcing - I spent many years as a loyal ROKA F1 goggle wearer, but looks like they are winding down their goggle line (maybe getting out of triathlon altogether? Anyone know) and the F1s have been discontinued.

Anyone with similar preferences that has good goggles to recommend? FORMs work OK for me but I don't always want the data in my face.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing roka's, I can say when I was a competitive swimmer, its basic but I always like speedo's goggles, the current vanquisher line I find a similar style to the F1's, I still will often use middle tier speedo goggles for general training swims sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the Zone 3s for racing. Great visibility and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those kinda look like the speedo vanquisher, although I'd also recommend taking a look at the speed socket, those were always my favorite when I actually did swim. Tried the rokas a couple times but never felt they really fit as well as the speedo ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely used to be a Swede-wearer, but one good kick to the eye in a mass start kind of ended that for me! Although for training, you may be right, get back to basics. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
Definitely used to be a Swede-wearer, but one good kick to the eye in a mass start kind of ended that for me! Although for training, you may be right, get back to basics. Thanks!

The TYR socket rocket is pretty great for swede wearers that want to have some form of gasket on the goggle (to protect against the face kick risk). I've used this goggle for all my OWS's and tri's the last two years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I preferred zoggs predator flex over the Roka

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the zone3's too.

Jason
Edmonton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The simpler the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they aren't discontinuing their goggles. I am a loyal fan of the X1 and I remember last year I was nervous when they seemed to be removed from the website, but then made a return a couple of months later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magic 5 are nice and I train in them frequently. For me far better than ROKA, but faces are different. I race though in Aquasphere Kaiman or Kayenne as they fit great and are cheap to not worry about losing in transition. Both work very well for me.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
Crowdsourcing - I spent many years as a loyal ROKA F1 goggle wearer, but looks like they are winding down their goggle line (maybe getting out of triathlon altogether? Anyone know) and the F1s have been discontinued.

Anyone with similar preferences that has good goggles to recommend? FORMs work OK for me but I don't always want the data in my face.
The F1s remind of the Swimoutlet brand S2 or S3 goggles... they're pretty inexpensive as well. Since this thread went down a Swedish goggle rabbit trail, Swimoutlet also has a premium version of their swedish goggles that have silicone around the socket that makes them a little more comfortable over traditional all plastic versions... IMO. Again they're also very inexpensive and used to be my go to for training goggles.

I now use Magic5s for both training and racing. Yes they're on the spendy side but they're custom made for your face. Generally there is a coupon code out there for them and if you buy with a sale they're not terrible... I bought a three pack and have been using my clear ones for the pool and the mirrored ones for racing for probably two years now. The clear ones probably aren't day one amazing but they're still working well enough for training.

One other thing I like about Magic5s is the sighting in them. They have a similar lens angle of the Roka R1 which is what I used to race in. You see the buoys better vs. a flat lens.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After being a devotee of small goggles I used in the 1980's and 90's as a USA-Swimming and college swimmer, I started using Magic5 as well. I was given a pair, really liked it, and then hopped on the Labor Day Sale for a two-fer offer. I now have 3 pairs, and paid $60 for those (mirrored gift, blue, and clear).

I wore Swedish for most of the last 15 years. I also wore the Water Gear Competition I, which is the current version of the Hind Compy from the 70's-90's. Those have a special place for me, since I wore those in my last collegiate season, when I was an NCAA All-American. It's amazing that I was able to train and compete in those $4 goggles over thousands of miles. I kept that same ethic: what clearly worked for me can clearly still work, and very inexpensively. If I lost of pair of any of those small goggles, NBD, those were only $5-10 each at the most recent pricing.

Recommendation: try the Arena Swedix goggle. This is very similar to the Swedish goggle, but has a soft gasket, and the lenses are angled for better forward vision. This is great for OWS. Also, those cost $18, and are as customizable as other Swedish goggles (eg: string or elastic nosepiece; head straps; etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were never really in the space despite their IM swim partnership. They quickly realized that there was more money in eyewear and pulling market share from Oakley versus the minute number of folks that needed a $1k wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roka is leaving the goggle space?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard this about 2 years ago from a friend in the industry, that pointed to it being a no-brainer that sunglasses/eyewear was more $ vs wetsuits/goggles & back then ROKA was already planning to exit the wetsuit market slowly.

That said, I suggest Magic 5. I got the summer bundle on sale & while the first shipment both caused socket pain from something not being right with the custom build--I sent photos with goggles on back to them per their request--they sent me 1 of the 3 after engineers made adjustments based off photos...and it fits great. They then sent me the other 2 pair with the same modifications. All fit great now. So 6 pair for the price of 3 but 3 of them don't feel great--so I have marked them with a sharpy pen to indicate they are the "B" pair for back up. I had ROKA goggles & while I liked them, I like the Magic 5's that fit me well now (2nd pair) even more than the ROKA. The COMMUNICATION and service by Magic 5, that I experienced..was next level. We are talking every bit and better than Garmin, which I've had a lot of interaction with before. It's super rare to have exceptional service & that to me, is worth my business more than the actual outstanding product that it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been solely a swedish user for 20 or 30 years. They are so cheap that when the anti-fog started to wear off after about a year I would just buy a new pair. However, a couple years ago I must have gotten a bad batch. I ordered 2 pairs like always (one clear, one smoke). Both pairs were fogging up immediately. I lived with it a month or two and then ordered 2 more pairs because a clear view is overly important to me. These also fogged up immediately.

About that same time, a friend really wanted me to try Magic5. I've never been picky about goggles, I'm happy in just about anything but the Magic5 goggles are by far the most comfortable goggles I've ever tried. Visibility is amazing. When I first got them, I would loosen the strap just a little before every swim. Eventually I loosened them to the point they started to leak so I tightened them back up a tiny bit and they never leaked again. Set this loose, I forget I'm wearing them and there are no marks when I get out of the pool. The only downside is eventually the anti-fog wears off and they are too expensive to be disposable like the swedes so I have to use anti-fog spray.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arena Cobra Ultra Swipe. It's what most elite swimmers wear. Expensive, but excellent googles. You can have them loose and they still won't leak and they fit my 10 year old the same as they fit me.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle recommendations as ROKA leaves the space [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arena cobras + 1 from me.

or swedes.
Quote Reply