Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Florida roll downs?
Quote | Reply
I’m curious if anyone was at the awards/roll down in Florida. Wondering how far the Kona/Nice spots rolled down….
Quote Reply
Re: Florida roll downs? [glowstickgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Facebook group saying Nice was rolling right through the age groups and there were still WFT spots to hand out.
Kona on the men's side did not roll much at all - sounds like they Doth Protest Too Much against the Ironman machine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the women, at the end they were saying, "Anyone who finished and wants to go to Nice, come on up and we will take the fastest time of whoever comes up." I forget what age groups they were but it was a very long process of constant roll down. For Kona, it was rare to have a roll down--with 25 slots I think it was--it is the way Kona should be. It makes it more of a champion race to have such highly competitive folks with so few slots.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida roll downs? [SpacemanSpiff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot On! We´re all bickering b*tches, until we see that Kona cookie in front of us :)

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Kona on the men's side did not roll much at all - sounds like they Doth Protest Too Much against the Ironman machine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone get a list of the spots for each AG?
I don’t see it on the app.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida roll downs? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mens AG 50: 3 slots / 0 rolldown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an athlete that was there. She said most male AGs 2-3 slots with almost 0 rolldowns. Women had tons of slots with a lot of roll through. Example, she was in F40-44, 12 slots, 9th slot went to 33rd in the AG before they ask anyone else wanted to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
Anyone get a list of the spots for each AG?
I don’t see it on the app.

I have a spreadsheet I created that uses the same method that IRONMAN uses to allocate slots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Hondt_method) to find the number of slots in my AG for each race.

Previously, I would run the spreadsheet using the registration lists IRONMAN provided prior to the race. However, they have since removed that list from their race websites. This was never a great way to run the slot allocation though because as we know the slots are allocated based on starters of the race, not those registered.

Luckily, on Friday before the race someone used a python script to pull how many were checked into the race and broke it down by age group!

Now last disclaimer before I post the results of using this data in my slot allocation spreadsheet. My numbers are based on check ins which similar to my comment above is not indicative of starters. Some probably come to get the swag and dont end up going into the water. Its more accurate than using registrants (as only 80% of registrants even checked in) but its very close to what you'll see at the roll down ceremony.

Men - 25 slots
M18-24 - 1
M25-29 - 2
M30-34 - 3
M35-39 - 3
M40-44 - 3
M45-49 - 3
M50-54 - 3
M55-59 - 2
M60-64 - 1
M65-79 - 1
M70-74 - 1
M75-79 - 1
M80-84 - 1
M85-89 - 0

Women - 60 slots
F18-24 - 2
F25-29 - 4
F30-34 - 8
F35-39 - 9
F40-44 - 9
F45-49 - 8
F50-54 - 9
F55-59 - 6
F60-64 - 3
F65-79 - 2
F70-74 - 0
F75-79 - 0
F80-84 - 0
F85-89 - 0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M65-69 1 spot and didn't roll
M60-64 1 spot and rolled to 3rd place
M55-59 2 spots and didn't roll

I left after M55-59 announced (no chance for me just curious to see)

Women spots were plentiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: the Nice slots, they started with the older AGs and a lot of those slots rolled through to the younger AGs which already had a lot. The younger AGs in general seemed more excited to go and many more of the top finishers took their slots. There just wound up being a lot more slots for the younger AGs because none of the older ladies seemed to want to go. I was there and took my slot (W35-39).
Quote Reply