Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When the only way out is through.
Quote | Reply
Few days ago i went for a long swim in Nice, well i tried. A serious cold front associated with storm Ciaran had passed through two days prior.
So i was just glad to be able to get in the water and set off. Few jelly fish here and there then a few more jellyfish and eventually it was like the sun went down. Decided to abort after about 15 minutes turned around and to my horror it was a solid wall of bobbeling medusa's. Slight panic attack because it was just a matter of head down and straight ahead! swollen wrists and a few bites on my neck. Never ever seen it like this before.
Quote Reply
Re: When the only way out is through. [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did the right thing, as there is not much you can do about besides maybe swimming around the jelly mass (they usually form long but not thick strings of individuals, as they “swim” along the current&wind). Probably those were Pelagia noctiluca, a very common specie of jellyfish. Its sting is kind of painful at first, and even more if you don’t expect it because of the annoying surprise, but not serious. No one has died because of it. After a few hours it feels like a little skin burn. Itchy and nothing more. But keep an eye on the wrist ones, the skin in that area is very thin and if enough poison goes through it can reach the lymphatic vessel and slowly travel towards the lymphatic node of your armpit. You will see like a reddish strip from the wrists to the armpit on the inside of the arm. Maybe 24 to 48 hours to develop. Again, not serious, but definitely a visit to the ER.
More people died in the ocean because of panic attacks than for any other reason: so keep calm and swim through.
Cheers.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: When the only way out is through. [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks !
Quote Reply