Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice...
Quote | Reply

hi, after almost 20 years away (knee injuries and laziness) at the ripe young age of 64 I reentered the world of tri. I completed a sprint in 2023, and plan on 1-2 sprints early '23 with the hope of an Olympic in the Fall. I shouldn't get any backlash here, but my wife and many people think it's foolhardy to come back after all these years,­­ especially because of my knees, but I feel the pros outweigh the cons. Setting the race goal last year really got my procrastinating butt off the couch many times and I also enjoy the whole tri scene. I survived that sprint, and though I was somewhat proud to have done so, I was not ecstatic how out of tri shape I really was at the end of the run. I'll always be a BOP'er, but want to work on a few things, rather than "just finishing".

I had a question about aero bars. (I'm sticking with 3 year old Trek roadie (Domane) though I plan to get it fitted again). I often ride in a windy area (usually 25-50m) , and ride in the drops without too much discomfort, so I'm considering aero bars. Currently I ride in the drops as long as I can, go upright for awhile, then back to the drops. I realize improvement won't be drastic, so my question is my CHOICE of aero bar a huge decision? I'm thinking of going off the rack and upgrading once (if) I ride a year or two with them. My handling skills are pretty decent and I almost never ride where there is vehicular traffic, and wouldn't use them then, so that is not a real factor.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome- even if the advice is "don't waste your money"- I'm not ruling out that the improvement could be negligible. Even so, I might try an inexpensive set just to see if it makes the windy parts more enjoyable and to also test if they help on a run off the bike.

thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [bigjoe226] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, aerobars provide a benefit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebCRJMmWVmQ
For putting on a road bike I'd suggest Profile Design Supersonic/Ergo+/SLC (pricey option) or a Neosonic/Ergo+/50a
Those models set the pad further back which makes it easier to get the correct reach.
If you are modifying your bike setup (tri saddle, shorter stem) then you'd be able to use a Sonic/Ergo/50a

Zipp Vuka Clip also have good setback on the pads.
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
For putting on a road bike I'd suggest Profile Design Supersonic/Ergo+/SLC (pricey option) or a Neosonic/Ergo+/50a
Those models set the pad further back which makes it easier to get the correct reach.
If you are modifying your bike setup (tri saddle, shorter stem) then you'd be able to use a Sonic/Ergo/50a

Zipp Vuka Clip also have good setback on the pads.

+1 on the above.

The Profile Supersonic/Ergo are affordable and highly adjustable....so prefect for dialing in fit.

I've had both the Zipps and the Profiles, and would recommend the Profiles. They are less prone to clamp slippage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you both for the advice- sounds like the Profile Ergo is a good choice- this helps. I' won't mount them, but will bring them to my fitting so they can be part of the equation.

Those models set the pad further back which makes it easier to get the correct reach

Last edited by: bigjoe226: Oct 31, 23 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

quite a video btw..the numbers are eye opening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just make sure your aero bars dont put you higher than riding in the drops, otherwise they might be call resting bars
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
just make sure your aero bars dont put you higher than riding in the drops, otherwise they might be call resting bars

It could still be faster. Even just looking at frontal area getting the arms in front of the body is a big reduction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're a bit pricey, but longer aftermarket armrests like TriRig Scoops and Culprit CSRs make a huge difference in comfort, making it easier to stay in the aero position...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can vouch that long arm cups are a game changer or full arm support stems. I

Culprit is finalizing packaging, starting mass production order on our new long arm cups. They will be released in December for 125 USD including shipping.

Test rider feedback has been very positive and it has a huge bolt pattern to help pad position.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you've decided you're all in on them (and you should), don't forget that road bikes have the seat too far back to ride in aero position for long without creating a lot of back pain and other issues. The cure is to buy a "forward facing" seatpost. They bend forward instead of backwards and will correct your bike geometry and turn your road bike into a tri bike for super cheap. Since I'm primarily a triathlete, I put them on every road bike I own and some clip on aerobars so I can always be training in the same general position as my racing tri bike. I even put a forward facing seatpost and clip on aerobars on my gravel bike and it's fantastic. I can train on that thing in the aerobars for hours on end with no back pain and easily swap over to my Trek Speed Concept for a road triathlon and not have to reteach my body how to get aero every time.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: aero bar for an older, BOP'er, other advice... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed on the seat post position, definitely important. I think I'll ride with the aero bars a little before going for a new fitting which is overdue, but want to be able to give the fitter real life feedback. Good advice
Quote Reply