Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When you realised Swim Bike Run was over [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfway through this last season I could not make myself go to the pool again. Had the gear bag at work, pool was 2 minutes away and just couldn't do it. Still love biking and running, but zero interest in lap swimming. Still like the Tri scene and especially the people. Adjusted my schedule for 24, only doing Sprints and only doing the series that has short (400s) swims as I can easily fake my way through. So probably cutting the number of races in half to two thirds, doing more gravel races and a big ride in France instead.
Quote Reply
Re: When you realised Swim Bike Run was over [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds awesome, might do some sprints and then a months gravel biking in Scotland
Quote Reply
Re: When you realised Swim Bike Run was over [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been relegated to relay races in the last 4-5 years after 20 years of racing sprints/oly on my own. My YWCA closed, then the YMCA, then the middle school closed their pool during covid and never opened it back up to the public, so we are in a pool desert. My kids are great at swimming and running, and they wanted to try a race. So we've been doing relays for a few years. Keeps me racing but not killing myself trying to fit all three sports into an already cramped week. Riding does scare me at times. Too many distracted drivers and people in too much of a rush to watch out for others on the road.

Haven't bought a new bike in 10 years and that's fine with me. Race prices have also gone through the roof. With one out of college, three in college/grad school, and one more to go, the budget is stretched thin so it's just not as big a priority as it used to be.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: When you realised Swim Bike Run was over [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m also at a crossroads. I got injured in 2020, and along with Covid shutdowns, it was hard to keep motivation up. I’ve done 31 full Ironman races, 6 in Kona, and a boatload of shorter races, so any race I can reasonably get to, I’ve done (plus some big trips). A big part of my motivation problem is the fact that I’ve trained alone for 20 years, and I want more social input. Combined with the financial challenges and elder care cutting into my time, I’m finding other outlets like dog agility, which is a super fun and social sport, although not cheap either. It does feed my competitive spirit, in that I’m focused on improving my skills as a team with my dog. It’s a fun sport bc competitors cheer for each other and celebrate each other’s victories. My dog and I qualified and are going to our first AKC Invitationals and Nationals this year.

That said, I am not willing to give up triathlon yet. I just haven’t found my way. My bike is outdated and on 650 wheels, but I can’t afford to replace it right now. I’m moving and I don’t know what training opportunities will be in my new location. That might open new ways to be involved in triathlon, or other sports. I’m leaving my options open. I’ll also admit that Kona was so much more fun this year than my previous trips that Ironman still tugs at me.
Quote Reply
Re: When you realised Swim Bike Run was over [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I’m finding other outlets like dog agility, which is a super fun and social sport, although not cheap either. It does feed my competitive spirit, in that I’m focused on improving my skills as a team with my dog. It’s a fun sport bc competitors cheer for each other and celebrate each other’s victories. My dog and I qualified and are going to our first AKC Invitationals and Nationals this year.

That said, I am not willing to give up triathlon yet.

The fact that I find Ironma'am's dog by far the most interesting part of the thread indicates I'm getting pretty close to accepting it's over.

I haven't been to my local pool for over 5 years, even though the 50 metre outdoor is only 5km away, costs $7 for a casual swim, is open year round, and swimming outdoor in winter is quite pleasant. Last time I went to the pool it was as much about taking my mother for a swim, who at 90 was still swimming laps of butterfly in her set.

The last couple of years, my triathlon off-season has been at least 10 months. At the end of summer, I'd reassemble my bike, do one or two rides in the days prior to an ODT, then do a few ocean swims and a 120km as my sole long ride before doing a late season IM. Then the bike goes back in the box for another 10 months or so.

I sort of run year round, that is when I'm not injured. Totaling 30km for a week is an uncommon win. Most training runs are a slow 7km.

Still love racing. I'm just a few weeks back from a calf injury. Last Thursday night I raced 800m and 5000m at the track, then 5km parkrun on Saturday, 12km road with Masters on Sunday.

I still enjoy my annual IM pilgrimage, it's just being at triathlete for the year in between which doesn't hold much allure. However, I'm quite motivated and excited to run some steeplechase in the new year after making my steeple debut in September. Just hope the body complies and holds together.

....and Ironma'am, please post some dog agility pics. Can't have too much of that! :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next