Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronMan WC - propose new poll on priorities [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
as a perspective first time WC qualifier having been in the sport for 4 years now I would order them this way

1) (a) WC must be in Kona. I am not interested in spending big bucks on an ironman WC elsewhere in the world. Especially Nice that I could race a few months earlier for half the price.

2) (c) WC must allow men & women to race separately. I was on the fence before the split on this one but it was clear to me after watching the women's race this past weekend Women deserve their own day.

all other concerns to me are secondary and I don't care how they fall out.

Quote:

b) WC must be in the same time & location for men & women (doesn't mean it must be the same day),
d) WC must have the potentially best-in-world participants,

e) WC must provide equal racing chances to all athletes (at least on a rotating basis)?

You say, "women deserve their own day." Doesn't that mean that men also deserve their own day? Rhetorical question.

I am a man and I am all for equal rights. I also like doing things with woman. I would have no interest in doing an all men Ironman (or any all man race). I love travelling to a race and talking with men and woman from all over. Woman add to the experience. If "women deserve their own day" at the IMWC, don't they also deserve their own day at every Ironman race? If not, why not?

to answer your last question (bc it seems the others are rhetorical)

I’m all for women pros to go off an hour before pro men at all pro races so that AG men and pros don’t interfere with their race. That seems like a fair medium but I’m open to other options if they make sense.

Logistically speaking, I’m not a race director, but having a separate women day at every race doesn’t seem possible even if you could argue it’s fair. I’d happily accept I’m wrong if that’s off
Last edited by: Tribike53: Oct 18, 23 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: IronMan WC - propose new poll on priorities [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Kona is amazing but they should move the event to a place that will allow two days of racing in a world class venue with fully closed roads. If it's in a rotating basis that's not adding a second race in the same location in the same year many locations could accommodate it (ie no open registration race there two months earlier).

Just make kona a pro and AWA qualifier only race with a pre-order open that sells out in minutes of opening.

No one cares about the WC title of kona. It's racing kona. It used to be open to anyone to signup. Let the AWA golds signup first. Then the silvers, etc etc. Call it the AWA World Championship, make tons of money, encourage IM customers to race multiple races to have the opportunity to race kona, and still have 2 days of WC racing at a stellar location that's on contract 2 years in a row or something.

Only worry is if no one cares about the WC title, but as long as Ironman delivers on the venue and race it will get traction.

I actually think the WC needs move away from Kona to rotate around the world with two days of racing for men and women. Kona should become the new "Boston" of triathlon. Kona would then have an AG time-qualification system and a selection system just like Boston. You can do that or just have a lottery for entry, with better entries for people who are AWA. I see this as a huge opportunity for Ironman to have two huge and lucrative events in one year for AG'ers. One for the truly elites and Kona for the rest of us. Like you said, most AG'ers don't care as much about racing the WC as much as they care about racing Kona.

BTW, I have been to Kona as a tourist and I would much rather race in Nice or St. George than race in Kona. Aside from the swim the Kona course is the definition of "meh".

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IronMan WC - propose new poll on priorities [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

b) WC must be in the same time & location for men & women (doesn't mean it must be the same day),
c) WC must allow men & women to race separately,
a) WC must be in Kona (or Hawaii in general, if it were an option)
d) WC must have the potentially best-in-world participants,
e) WC must provide equal racing chances to all athletes (at least on a rotating basis)

WC should be same location, but I would prefer different days.

For most athletes the magic is in Kona not in WC. The demonstration is that to reach same number of participants, the rolldown in Nice was much bigger (now for Kona 2024 almost any rolldown). So rolling venues means different level of participation.

I would think that Legacy is a good thing. Being an Ironman is not only related to be a good at performance, but also a way of living... But I think that roll down is a bad thing (not because the people who take the slot, but the people who reject theirs).

Quote Reply

Prev Next