Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona on my own, just show up some day
Quote | Reply
What would prevent someone from just showing up at Kona on a random day and completing the course on their own?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [Runcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the energy lab is closed off on non race days. That being said I do remember that Crowie did a run session there at one point so I'm sure if you email the right people in advance and they're in the right mood they would maybe let you in if you ask nicely, but it's probably a long shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was very congested in town, and while there were always people running and biking, I can’t recall anyone swimming on their own. It’s a great place to vacation however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runcasey wrote:
What would prevent someone from just showing up at Kona on a random day and completing the course on their own?

Common sense and a realization that it won't come close to being the real thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope someone has or will do it,if their goal is just to finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it won't come close to being the real thing?

Gotta challenge this belief/mindset.

The real thing, is Coke, not Kona, for starters.

I'll give you that doing something like this isn't the same as with 2500 other people on a supported course but doing it solo, or with a few other like-minded-and bodied people, on a course that is mostly the same, can certainly be every bit as much of an experience - so it would be a different thing... that's all.

And for the majority of triathletes, that'll be as close as we get, and we are cool with that.

With the right attitude and flexibility and planning, I'm sure you could get one hell of an experience.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely nothing, I did most of the course and it was fantastic. We split it up over days since it was a vacation/training camp but could be done same day with support.

I thought the queen K was a dream to ride on. Super wide shoulder that is very smooth. I never felt unsafe. I had one day where the trade winds were miserable and basically stood me up going downhill.

The swim there’s a buoy that marks the turn. Lots of people swimming in that area but none going that far out. Absolutely beautiful water. Maybe take a kayaker with you for safety, I had a tow buoy. Sighting isn’t easy so they would help with that. Be careful not to drift too close to shore as the lava rock isn’t friendly.

The energy lab was open when I was there and had a public bathroom. Though maybe I ran somewhere I shouldn’t have or rules have changed.

Overall absolutely loved the big island and training in/around Kona. Would love to do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was once this "event" for silly people...Kind of an overpriced training camp. :-)
Home - Kona Five Ultra Triathon - 5 Iron Distance Triathlons - 5 Consecutive Days - Self Supported

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that 3 times back in the '90s each time the Wednesday before the race. Lots of folks training on the course and the Energy Lab was open. There wasn't a wide shoulder on the Queen K all the way to Kawaihae like there is now. Great experiences and I qualified for and finished Kona after doing the course on my own the previous two years. I was in Kona doing media work the years I did the course on my own.

Had a friend follow me on the run in a car to give me aid during the run. Did it totally on my own the second time which was much tougher on the run. The third time, a year after I did the race for the first time, I ended up trying to take a nap in the Energy Lab and my friend thankfully drove out to check on me and gave me a ride back to town.

It would be disappointing to not be able to run the current course in the Energy Lab but you could just run longer on the Queen K like they did in the early years in Kona. The course didn't always go into the Energy Lab.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 15, 23 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have to do the whole thing? Kona is a great place to train. Not sure I’d want to do the whole course 100%, as there are some sections that aren’t ideal. I’d think a major part is lost without the ironman environment, cheer squads, etc. I was in Kona for 2 weeks this summer and just enjoyed swimming, riding, running the course. Doing a solo ironman is not on the list of things I’d prefer to do though.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Runcasey wrote:

Common sense and a realization that it won't come close to being the real thing?

This is an interesting philosophical debate. Let’s compare a race day vs solo effort

- distance/course: identical assuming you don’t veer off course intentionally or unintentionally.

- swim: definitely doable solo, as many mentioned there are buoys marking the turn. I believe there is even some midway ones for half and others. Might be harder to sight solo

- bike: I don’t see any issue here other than the course isn’t closed to traffic so might be a bit riskier. I’ve ridden portions of the course and you’ll be on the shoulder which is wide at some points and thin at others. There might be more debris than on race day

- run: seems the energy lab as mentioned above might be difficult or not to access I don’t have any knowledge to add here but I don’t see any real difference if it’s open.

- Transition: the pier is open to the public so I’d assume just running a loop around would be good enough after the swim and bike

- finish line: not setup for a solo effort but the location technically exists

-time: as long as you make it under 17 hrs solo I’d say that would count

- aid stations: this would be self supported. If you wanted to get as close as possible you could use the course maps to see aid station locations on race day and setup friends or family to be there for you

- crowds/fellow racers: nothing for solo which is hard mentally and no one to draft off of but that’s ok bc no one does that in real life…right??!

- medal: I bet you could find one online to purchase or make your own

- finisher gear/swag: ironman.com

So what’s missing to make it real? Obviously you wouldn’t be searchable in the ironman logs for all time. No experience of being there race week.

For all intents and purposes seems like you could get 99% there. It’s up to everyone in their hearts to decide if it counts

I know a buddy who did his own full distance here in our town during covid bc his race kept getting pushed back. He counts it when you ask him how many Ironmans have you done. Who’s to say he shouldn’t? Rhetorical questions here

Reminds me of the question of the ship crossing the ocean. If it arrives having replaced all its parts during the voyage is it the same ship than when it left?

Final thoughts: I think a good potion of the allure for doing Kona is the prestige to say you’ve qualified. Anyone can run the Boston marathon course too but unless you were accepted to be there does it count? I’m not leaning either way here just more food for thought
Last edited by: Tribike53: Oct 15, 23 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were there during spring break 2022. Unfortunately I got sick right as we got there, but I did what I could. I did about 10 miles total of the run, and that was cool. They have buoys for about half the swim course, and that was gorgeous. Lots of folks out swimming. I personally didn’t go beyond the marked section. There are a few signs and such, but it definitely isn’t Triathlon Disney World or anything. Still, very very cool to see the spots and be able to point landmarks we saw to family when the broadcast is on.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing. I did that in 2021. I qualified in 19 they canceled in 20 and then again in 21. I was angry and stubborn. The whole family went with me and I did the whole damn thing on arguably the windiest day in years.
Do it. It was freaking amazing. I sometimes don’t know if that day or my actual race in 22 is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I did that 3 times back in the '90s each time the Wednesday before the race. Lots of folks training on the course and the Energy Lab was open. There wasn't a wide shoulder on the Queen K all the way to Kawaihae like there is now. Great experiences and I qualified for and finished Kona after doing the course on my own the previous two years. I was in Kona doing media work the years I did the course on my own.

Had a friend follow me on the run in a car to give me aid during the run. Did it totally on my own the second time which was much tougher on the run. The third time, a year after I did the race for the first time, I ended up trying to take a nap in the Energy Lab and my friend thankfully drove out to check on me and gave me a ride back to town.

It would be disappointing to not be able to run the current course in the Energy Lab but you could just run longer on the Queen K like they did in the early years in Kona. The course didn't always go into the Energy Lab.

As soon as I saw this thread your Soloman came to mind!

To the OP, the turn buoy is permanently moored. It’s only about basketball sized, so you need to know how to aim for it. I’ve done that swim while on vacation, as have many others. Lots of fish, maybe a honu, and if you are really lucky…spinner dolphins.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about this, I think it's a fun subversive way to handle the following interaction:

"I do triathlons"

"Oh really? Have you ever done an Ironman?"

"Yes."

"Awesome, have you ever done Kona?"

"Yes."

Maybe we need to start a Strava Club for the Unofficial Kona Triathlon that keeps track of people doing the race and posts their times every weekend. Every weekend of the year there could be a couple people "doing Kona" and posting their times. Eventually the allure of needing to "qualify" to race Kona goes away and Ironman no longer has the golden albatross around their neck of having to hold a race in the place that everyone loves to hate. Or hates to love.

Eventually, some enterprising Kona resident will sell "airbnb experiences" where they watch your bike while you swim and run and have some drinks for you out on the course in a few places. Eventually that market will grow to the point that no one will want to volunteer for Ironman since they can make good money selling their services to solo-group riders all year long.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Oct 18, 23 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Kona on my own, just show up some day [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
I believe the energy lab is closed off on non race days. That being said I do remember that Crowie did a run session there at one point so I'm sure if you email the right people in advance and they're in the right mood they would maybe let you in if you ask nicely, but it's probably a long shot.

The Energy Lab is not closed off - it has public beach access, toilets, etc. You can ride and run in there to your heart's content.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runcasey wrote:

You wouldnt be able to get an M dot tat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runcasey wrote:

What I can say,

1) you could do it with care, but I would not.

- it is not the same requirement of sun light in a race than training by your own, you would have up to 11-12hours to finish. You will need to be in the water at 6 to allow you be back at 18h.

- you would need to stay at the Hotel. That may work..

- I would not start a solo swim at 6 o'clock. you would need support. no one would be watching you, it is risky.

- you would need support for the transitions, and bring all your drink in the bike. You may stop in Hawi for water.

- the run... ali'i drive may be the most dangerous... but I don't see running in Queen K. But if needed.. it should be done with day light by sure.

2) I would not do it alone in a row, but I would do it with a buch of friends. If 3-5 friends of similar level agree (and some keeps our things) it may work and be funny.
I would do it in this way:
- swim + bike first day
- marathon second day.

3) if done by my self, I would modify some part of the course...
some ideas

Quote Reply