Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Mallorca drafting
Quote | Reply
There’s a lot of talk and race footage about very close packs in the pro field. There are many different videos where the front guys are drafting each other, which could be ok in any given video alone, but when it is filmed in different locations and also people onsite were shocked about it, it’s a bit shameful.
Specially the race winner appears wheelsucking many times. Alistair is usually at the front and we know he doesn’t like to just sit behind but push and break away, so not accusing all of them.
Apparently the group kept together and Keulen took a lot of profit out of it. IG videos from race organiser and Patrik Lange show him less than 2m away from other competitors.
Funk was very angry and accused him right after he crossed the line, with sb from Keulen’s team preventing them from fighting.
He was also too close last week in Barcelona and has been accused before.
It’s up to race officials to hand out penalties but up to each athlete’s professionalism to respect the other competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
There’s a lot of talk and race footage about very close packs in the pro field. There are many different videos where the front guys are drafting each other, which could be ok in any given video alone, but when it is filmed in different locations and also people onsite were shocked about it, it’s a bit shameful.
Specially the race winner appears wheelsucking many times. Alistair is usually at the front and we know he doesn’t like to just sit behind but push and break away, so not accusing all of them.
Apparently the group kept together and Keulen took a lot of profit out of it. IG videos from race organiser and Patrik Lange show him less than 2m away from other competitors.
Funk was very angry and accused him right after he crossed the line, with sb from Keulen’s team preventing them from fighting.
It’s up to race officials to hand out penalties but up to each athlete’s professionalism to respect the other competitors.

There is a video on Instagram of FF overtaking about 6 or 7 athletes and they certainly were VERY close (they weren't the front group though, so that wasn't Ali, Rico, Youri, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:

It would make life a lot easier if you could post links to videos of the questionable drafting episodes. My google skills are normally pretty good but I can't find anything easily on IG at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Xath10 wrote:

It would make life a lot easier if you could post links to videos of the questionable drafting episodes. My google skills are normally pretty good but I can't find anything easily on IG at the moment.

Go to IG account @toestebantri
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean this?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
you mean this?

Yup, the mother of all trains:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy smokes what a joke.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
you mean this?

Wow. 20 metres...more like 20 inches....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipper has posted a video on his Insta story of some clear drafting from Mallorca...............certainly looks like Ali is pulling some of them along (and a few are enjoying a free ride).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
kajet wrote:
you mean this?

Wow. 20 metres...more like 20 inches....

wait, let me find the text to copy and paste... or there it is: the draft zone in Challenge Family races, with very few exceptions like the Championship, is 12 meters.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Go to IG account @toestebantri

That cycling team's DS really needs to get them to work on their Team Time Trial.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the draft zone in Challenge Family races, with very few exceptions like the Championship, is 12 meters. //

If it is indeed 12 meters, then I dont seem much wrong in this video. Keep in mind that most the entire thing is at an aid station too, where things always compress and move around. I think the group did pretty good considering it was an aid station, but of course there is that pesky center line rule, or is there in this race??? If I were Marshall here, would have done nothing really, cannot speak for other parts of the course...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
the draft zone in Challenge Family races, with very few exceptions like the Championship, is 12 meters. //

If it is indeed 12 meters, then I dont seem much wrong in this video. Keep in mind that most the entire thing is at an aid station too, where things always compress and move around. I think the group did pretty good considering it was an aid station, but of course there is that pesky center line rule, or is there in this race??? If I were Marshall here, would have done nothing really, cannot speak for other parts of the course...

i see plenty that i consider wrong, but i don't see anything exceptionally contrary to the rules
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that video i see the last 2 riders doing some insane drafting. Alistair is at the front and 2/3 has decent distance to alistair and no2. Number 4 and 5 are right on wheel 3.
But what is guy number 4 angry about he waves his arm, DID he get a penalty? Because if he did then things are fine right?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
In that video i see the last 2 riders doing some insane drafting. Alistair is at the front and 2/3 has decent distance to alistair and no2. Number 4 and 5 are right on wheel 3.
But what is guy number 4 angry about he waves his arm, DID he get a penalty? Because if he did then things are fine right?

*This is commenting on the Skipper video, not the other one that's posted in this thread (I assume)*

I think the guy waving is Youri Keulen, and no, no penalty I believe as he went on to win the race (with a fantastic run, to be fair!).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
lassekk wrote:

*This is commenting on the Skipper video, not the other one that's posted in this thread (I assume)*

I think the guy waving is Youri Keulen, and no, no penalty I believe as he went on to win the race (with a fantastic run, to be fair!).

It is the same video.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it really ironic that the very same Youri K was DQ in the 70.3 Mallorca 2022 for drafting. William Mennesson made it clear on IG that Yuri was sitting right on his wheel not 9 or 10 meters away but rather 2 or 3. And when he called him on it, well, Yuri gave him the finger and ended him passing Menesson on the run and took first place but ended up being DQ. Menneson felt he had stolen from him the joy of breaking the tape for the 1st time on the big stage and said that many were outraged by his attitude

I tried to check the fact and unfortunately the PTO site is a great data tool but never puts DQ on the result sheet.
Either the racer is DNF (Sanders in Lahti) or his name disappears
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca drafting [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
I find it really ironic that the very same Youri K was DQ in the 70.3 Mallorca 2022 for drafting. William Mennesson made it clear on IG that Yuri was sitting right on his wheel not 9 or 10 meters away but rather 2 or 3. And when he called him on it, well, Youri gave him the finger and ended him passing Mennesson on the run and took first place but ended up being DQ. Menneson felt he had stolen from him the joy of breaking the tape for the 1st time on the big stage and said that many were outraged by his attitude.
Funk shares his frustration at the poor (close drafting) behaviour of a few other pros and lack of refereeing rigour by the Spanish Tri Fed moto officials. Also notes with annoyance that the lead group (Brownlee, Bogen, Keulen, Hirsch, Margirier) had 5 motos accompanying (NB with no live feed).
Quote Reply